Search

Brighton Beach

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brighton Beach

My husband and I are staying in London for 5 days and want to take a day trip to Brighton Beach. Is it worth it?
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:16 PM

The beach at Brighton is nothing special, coarse sand and pebbles, and shelves rather steeply. It is one of the closest beaches from London, along with the one at Southend in Essex. But Brighton itself is an interesting place, with the Royal Pavillion, antique shops in the Lanes and other fine Regency buildings.
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:28 PM

I just did that this past March. It was sort of interesting. The Royal Pavilion is interesting and the beach and pier are OK in the off season. But the town overall was kind of tacky. Looked like it was trying to become more upscale with an area of chain shops and restaruants and outdoor cafes. I enjoyed trying to imagine what it might have been like in its hey-day. But overall other daytrips I've taken from London - like Warwick (for the castle and the town) and Cambridge - were much more "worthwile". Everyone's tastes are different. When I was trying to decide whether or not to go a lot of people, both on the this forum and elsewhere, advised against it. I'm not sorry I went but if you have limited amount of time there are many other day trips that most people find a better way to spend their time and money.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:12 PM

I agree with Isabel. I really looked forward to seeing Brighton and envisioned it looking like the "old" days - wrong. It is very tacky. Had planned to stay overnight (I had a car) but headed out after a couple of hours.
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:08 PM

the beach is nothing...the pier is nearly gone..the shops are fun and the good is ok...the pavilion is fabulous and worth the day trip...generally it is referred to as brighton....if it were a choice between windsor and brighton i would certainly pick windsor or the cotswolds or east anglia..or any of the palaces around london...
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Brighton has long been a favourite day out for people in London. It is several times more popular with Londoners than Oxford, Blenheim, the Cotswolds or most of the other destinations so loved of posters to this site.

Elegant, possibly not (though when the Festival's on in May there's a lot of excellent artistic stuff, including scores of open-house events in artists' studios. And its museum, in the stables of the Pavillion, is one of the most eclectic and well-presented museums in Europe). But it's fun in a very English, raucous, exuberant way. If you've come to England for a bit of Masterpiece Theater class, forget it. If you want a day with bracing sea air, away from all that damn culture, Brighton's your place.
Just be careful of the nudist beach.
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you flanneruk for your comments. Brighton sounds just right for us.