South of England Holiday

Old Mar 7th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South of England Holiday

My family (my husband, plus three teens) and I are looking to take a trip to the southern part of England (including London, Sussex, Wiltshire, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Oxford, Buckinghamshire, and Berkshire) this June (2017) for two weeks, and we were wondering what some of the locals' favorite sites are including stately homes, castles, museums, gardens, parks, beaches, pubs, hiking/walking trails, and anything else. We would love to visit some quaint and picturesque villages that aren't too crowded with tourists. We'd prefer to spend less time at the "touristy" places, and spend more time exploring the best bits southern England has to offer. Also, if there are any special events on during the month of June and into July, we'd love to know about them! And if you know that some places are worth skipping in this area (at least for our family's first trip to the UK), please don't hesitate to mention them. Thank you!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 07:00 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
At first read, it appears that you haven't really gotten a grip on the enormous volume of things to do and places to see in just London, let alone the swathe of the country you mention in your very broad question. It isn't a question of which "places are worth skipping", none of them are. So I suggest you tell us what prompted the list above so we can begin to know what to suggest or, better, decide how far afield you want to go from London.

In just 2 weeks, for instance, you may want to stay one of them in London, part of the second in Oxford plus a few days with a car in Gloucestershire. Or London plus a week in Cornwall. Or any 1 or 2 of the others you mention. You cannot begin to cover more than that in 2 weeks. I've been trying for a month or so every year for decades and will never come close to seeing everything that's worth seeing.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
High density of things to do in a biggish area.

Well the touristy things are go to Bath, Stonehenge and a bunch of cathedrals, Oxford and it goes on

For pubs try http://www.camra.org.uk/
for walks; the whole area is littered with thousands of miles of walks, do you mean multi trails or pub to pub, search either term will come up with loads

Just to focus on a tiny area, look at Weymouth, not only is there a fantastic pebble beach with its own Swanery and some lovely pubs, but on the other side of the town is a golden beach, slate mining, fake castle and in the summer a kite festival.

I suggest the Rough Guide to UK or England is a start.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 09:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Get thee to a book shop and get a guide book or two (or go to a library)

Your questions are TOTALLY unanswerable. 2 weeks (and if that is home to home really only 11.5 days) is not enough for even a teensy fraction of your list.

If you truly want to 'visit' London, Sussex, Wiltshire, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Oxford, Buckinghamshire, and Berkshire, and not just drive through . . . you would need about 2 months. And you left Kent off your list which has more castles/gardens/stately homes/attractions than most of the other counties listed.

>> We'd prefer to spend less time at the "touristy" places, and spend more time exploring the best bits southern England has to offer.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks janisj for your comment on ' touristy things'. It's something I've never quite understood. Again not sure what posters really mean by ' touristy'. If you really don't want touristy then I suggest Fair Isle even there they have an occasional cruise ship stop in. England is a very popular destination and there are few places worth visiting that won't have their share tourists. The days of finding interesting places without a fair amount of tourists are long gone.

Others have already made some good suggestions.