Brig Switzerland Train Connection

Mar 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Brig Switzerland Train Connection

We have a train connection in a few days that has me confused. It is in Brig, Switzerland, from Brig to "Brig MGV-fo/bvz". It says "7 minute walk".

What is this? Has anyone done this connection, and what should I be looking for?
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM

There are two RR stations in Brig. The larger one is for the SBB/CBB...the federal railway system.

The station directly across the street from the SBB statioon is for the former Furka Oberalp/Brig-Visp-Zermatt railway also known as the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn.

Here's what you do: go out of the main station and look across the street..you'll see the platforms of the other station directly across the street.

It may not even take a full seven minutes.
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

This fodors board is amazing. Thanks, Dukey.
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:47 AM

I've done it numeroud times, and it's hardly even across the street -- more like right outside the main station. I can't imagine it taking 7 minutes.

And not to cause panic, but middle aged (not elderly) friends of mine did that connection in a great panic because their train was actually several minutes late. She started running and he was following behind pulling the luggage. She turned around and he was lying on the ground. He had a heart attack and died on the spot. So it's not worth running for!!

As I said, not to cause panic. There's no reason to think that would happen. But the last time we went through there I could only think of their experience.
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM

7 minutes - it's right out in front of the station!

Dukey- too bad about the Dukies!
Mar 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
je

We have made the connection from the main station to the Zermatt train many times. The only thing to look out for is what track the train you want is leaving from. In a hurry, one can walk down the wrong platform if not paying attention to the departure signs.
Mar 10th, 2007, 04:16 PM

It's basically in what you might call the front parking lot of the big station. BTW, if you're going skiing there are also discounts on short packages when you buy your ticket to Zermatt.
Mar 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM

It is very HARD to get on the wrong train at the M-G Station since there are only a couple of tracks.
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:42 AM

And train cars should be clearly labelled: Zermatt.

Note if the train is a Glacier Express train you can still board without a reservation on the local cars Brig-Zermatt that are attached to it but not in the official Glacier Express
carswithout having the mandated surcharge-reservation i believe.

Or maybe you can hop on these cars - i'm not clear just that the wording says local traffic is carried on Glacier Express trains between Brig and Zermatt at no surcharge or reservation.

Glacier Express trains, coming from St Moritz or Davos/Chur provide commentary and extra nice doilies on the seats and have observation cars in both classes now i believe.
Mar 18th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Trip is done, and this connection really was a non-event. The "7 minute walk" turned out to be more like 2 minutes, and I think my words when I got there were "this is really a different station?"
Mar 18th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Well, Abe, it was across the street LOL!

How did you like Zermatt?