Search

Briancon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Briancon

Can anyone recommend a hotel? It will be for early October, and the only ones open, that I can find, are: Hotel de Paris, Hotel Vauban, Parc Hotel, and Auberge De L'Impossible. I am open to staying in the surrounding areas as well, but I'm having trouble finding anything that's open outside of Briancon.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM

L'Auberge du Mont Prorel in Briancon. It's a rustic 2 star which belongs to the Logis de France, I believe. It is wonderfully situated for skiing, being right across the street from the Mont Prorel ski station.

It is none of my business, but I am curious about what takes you to Briancon; my family and I spent a ski week there a few years ago, and I hardly ever hear of anyone who knows of this charming town and its environs. It has a lovely little fortified old town section. I think it is well known for hiking as well as winter sports.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM

l'Auberge de Choucas in Monetier-les-Bains, one of the 10 (or 12?) villages that stretches along the Guisane River, appears to be open in early Oct., also.

www.serrechevalier.com should be helpful with accommodations
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick reply. We will be spending 5 days in Provence, and we then have 3 days to drive to Paris, where we have an apartment for a week. I am a mountain fanatic and so I want to take a long, scenic way between Provence and Paris, and Briancon looked like a logical place to spend a night. It's also big enough to have some hotels that are open that time of year. So we won't have too much time to explore the town/area but if it all looks beautiful and interesting, we will certainly come back.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Make sure you drive from Briancon over the Col de Galibier.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM

I would like to resurrect this post and hope that grandmere is still around......does anyone have a 2010 review of hotels around Briancon?
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Yeek, don't even like to consider possibility of grandmere not being around!
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:47 AM
ira

Hi C,

From my trip report:
The Edelweiss was recommended by one of our posters. I apologize for not writing it down. I further apologize for forgetting who.

It is a very pleasant little hotel, with a parking lot, about 1.5 km down the very, very steep hill from Old Town Briançon. This is not a major fault, as there is parking in the old town. For some reason, parking was free that Wednesday and Thursday.

We had asked for a double ensuite room (70E). That is what we got. It was tiny, overlooked the trash bins and had a makeshift sliding door for the bathroom. The trash bins were emptied about 05:00.

When I asked about the newer, larger rooms (about 10E/nite more), I was told that they were twin beds, which is why they didn't suggest them. Live and learn".

It is a pleasant little hotel. Nice people, Decent bkfst.