cinque terre hiking

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cinque terre hiking

My husband are visiting this area for the first time and were wondering how vigorous the hikes between the villages can be. How much should we attemp in one day? We are both in our fifties with questionable back issues but otherwise in reasonably good shape. We are going in early April.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM

It is relatively easy with marked trails.

If you feel tired, you can go to the nearest station and return to hotel.
I do not remember correctly, but only one of the trails is a bit taxing.

Most important, be careful about your valuables.
Don't put them in the back pocket of the back pack.
We saw an American couple getting robbed while getting down the train there. They were in a very bad state with their passports and money lost.
These are remote villages but are still quite touristy and attract many petty thieves.

Scenery is top class. Though, personally I liked Portofino , S. Margarita the most.I would rate Positano after that. More than Cinque Terre. The villages look more of run down, unmaintained type(sometimes stinking too)Rather than quaintessential. A bit over-rated by famous websites and books in the US.

But it's personal choice.

Have fun...
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at Manarola a few years ago and walked a couple of sections. The walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola is flat, paved and easy. It takes about 30 mins. We tried to walk between Manarola and Corniglia but the path was blocked due to a landslide.

The walk between Corniglia and Vernazza was great, took us about 2 hours, we stopped under a shady tree about half way and had a banana and water. It's slightly steep in parts and we were glad we had walking shoes on. We saw a few women wearing strappy high heels, gosh knows how they managed. There are good views along the way, the path can be quite narrow and we met some large (and noisy) school groups so had to be careful to move aside but not too far, as the cliff down to the sea was directly on our left. We didn't find the walk particularly hard but were puffing a bit here and there.

The walk from Monterrosso to Vernazza is supposed to be the toughest but we ran out of time.

I think if you go in the morning and take your time you should be fine. Personally, I think one section between villages is enough on one day, you want time in the village to enjoy the scenery and have something to eat and drink. Don't do the trail if it's wet, I imagine it could be dangerous.

Kay
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; We walked four of the five villages. Tooked the ferry from the first village to the fourth. Family of twelve, from 72 [me] to 14 [granddaughter]. It was a hot July day and seven of the twelve walked the whole distance. A train runs between these villages and returned our other people to their starting point. As suggested, good walking shoes are necessary. We could have been the noisy group, as we were having much fun. Early April it shouldn't be too warm, but remember, you can always take the train back. Not sure about off season train schedules. Richard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cinque_terre
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much.