Breakfast - Gordes

Search

Breakfast - Gordes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breakfast - Gordes

Looking for suggestions on places for breakfast in and around Gordes that's is not difficult to get to....we have a car. Do you have to park and go up to the hilltop to eat at the restaurants or is there easy access from the road? Our Hotel is About 1 mile north of the city center. Thanks..
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Doesn't your hotel serve breakfast? That would be simplest, as there aren't a lot of restaurants actually in Gordes.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes, continental for about 24 Euros. I like, toast, yogurt....granola. If I don't have to pay that much for a simple breakfast it would be great. Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 01:12 PM

I don't know where you are staying, but if you have a room with minifrig you could at least have your own yogurt and some rolls though real cheap. You could even easily keep some butter. THe only places I know a mile north-ish of Gordes include breakfast in the price (Like La Borie or the Domaine l'Enclos), I'm surprised as that is typical in that type of country accommodation for it to be in the room rate.

There are no cafes on that road north of Gordes (route de Murs). Just at Gordes near the parking lot is the small restaurant Le Jardin which opens at 9:30 am. They have coffee, I know, I suspect they might have some kind of breakfast because they open before 11 but what you want is typically only served in hotels or at home. I am not sure if they have breakfast or not, though. Here is some info
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...te_d_Azur.html

There are some bakeries around the main square, also, and they might have a formule with coffee and pastry, but no breakfast like you want.

I really don't think you are going to get granola in a restaurant with yogurt.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...good ideas. We do have a terrace, coffee maker and probably mini fridge. The hotel is newer, Le Petite Palais d'algae, no breakfast included. Love the reports of the area and the Hotel is great with good reviews....maybe I should relocate I was just reading Stu's itinerary and although he raves about staying in Gordes, he does not suggest the restaurants in the Village Center. We will have a car to go anywhere but wanted to make it easy on the driver, my husband Jack....we love to enjoy wine, not to mix with driving long distance...I had thought being a mile from Gordes village at night would work. Breakfast included and walk to dinner at night would be perfect!
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 03:13 PM

We broke one of our cardinal rules in Gordes centre by eating at a restaurant with a picture menu...lol.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 03:23 PM

Hi, mels.

Going to a "restaurant" anywhere in France isn't going to get you breakfast of any kind, so it doesn't really matter whether there are restaurants nearby or not. Restaurants serve lunch and dinner, not breakfast. They aren't even open in the early morning.

Cafés serve "breakfast," as in a croissant, tartine, jam, a small glass of juice, and coffee. Or you can just order a croissant and coffee. They do not serve yoghurt and granola - that is not a French breakfast. Nor is "toast" as you probably define it.

Your choices are to spend the whopping (outrageous, IMO) 24 euros for breakfast at the hotel (and they may not be able to satisfy your need for yoghurt and granola, either - you'd have to ask them), find a normal café and have a traditional French breakfast as outlined above, or fill your mini-fridge with what suits you, which will require some shopping.

<<we love to enjoy wine, not to mix with driving long distance.>>

Doesn't matter whether it's long distance or 2 kms; French drinking and driving laws pertain to anyone, anywhere, driving home from work or trekking from Marseille to Paris. So enjoy your wine - who doesn't? - but don't get in a car after having more than one small glass.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Breakfast menu, I was just trying to say I eat lite....it does not have to be a piece of toast or granola. And I'm sure they have yogurt in Provence.

The driver would have no more than 2 wines including before and after the meal....just trying to make a point that I would like to be close by restaurants, if driving and would choose to walk, if possible. May check other Luberon areas that may offer that convenience......and hopefully as beautiful as Gordes.....yes, I know there are many.

It's been a bit overwhelming....18 day itinerary and only these 4 nights in Gordes has me thinking about changing the venue.

Thanks you all for the info....Mel
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Topping.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Staying put in Gordes, its beautiful and so is the hotel......We are .9 miles from city center and I found a restaurant Le Teston 13 minute walk from the hotel. They serve breakfast! Thanks for the help....Happy to have options.....buy my own to eat on our terrace, eat at the hotel or go to Le Teston!

And there really seems to be enough choices in the area for dinner....only there 4 nights.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 05:43 PM

I prefer St. Saturnin les Apt over Gordes. Far fewer tourists and a lovely restaurant - L'Estrade - and a tobac and 2 patisseries/boulangeries.

Check out a B&B room here where you would get the exact meal you mention included with rate:

http://www.accommodationinprovence.c...re-du-platane/

It is an easy drive to Gordes and all of the lovely villages of The Luberon.

http://www.accommodationinprovence.com/local-area/
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes it's lovely but it's not available on our dates.....or any dates! It must be wonderful because It's unavailable for several dates....thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 06:35 PM

You have to email owner to check on availability; there is no calendar or similar shown on the website. Highly unlikely that there is no availability, especially in the B&B
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Okay....that makes sense. i was curious about the price so I kept going forward....booked to the New Year! Thanks