Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Breakfast at Hotel Laurin (Italian Riviera)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Curious

Not that this will make or break my hotel choice in SML, but virtually every poster recommending Hotel Laurin offers negative commentary on their breakfasts. What exactly was so bad?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Graziella

Hi, I thought it was only because we stayed there one night out of season, but I agree with whoever said the breakfast was not good. Everything looked a little old, nothing was simply fresh and crispy. A lot of things piled up in a table. Get the feeling?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Dayle

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as all the other hotels we stayed at. Cold cereal, milk, orange juice (not fresh), yogurt, & what seemed like defrosted breads.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:19 AM
Curious

If the only downside to Hotel Laurin is breakfast, are there places very nearby where one can grab a better meal? We're not all that picky, nor do we require huge American or English-style b'fasts, but fresh breads/pastries, fruits etc. and a good cup of coffee are absolute musts!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:37 AM
xxx

topping

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:22 PM
Diane

If my memory is correct, the hotel is just a short walk to the center of town where you can pick up something to eat. We just ate what was provided at the hotel and had a nice lunch. It was really bad, it just wasn't good, especially after the great breakfasts we had at the Pensione Accademia in Venice.

Old May 27th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Nancy

I returned recently from SML..stayed at the Hotel Laurin. Have to say after all the warnings, that breakfast was very good! Fresh chocolate croissants (warm), plain croissants, lemon pastry, yogurt, cereals, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, the usual assortment of cold cuts and cheeses, rolls and tons of fruit spreads, flavored honey, oj and grapefruit juice..hot drinks. I loved the hotel...great location, nice room, great pool, easy transportation via bus/boat or train. Staff very helpful. AC was good. I can still smell the honeysuckle outside my room...sigh....

Old May 27th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Diane

Wouldn't it be interesting if the hotel worked on improving their breakfasts due to the posts on this board? At least I'd like to think we can make a difference.

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Nancy

Diane, It's funny that you comment on the voice of all of us here. I actually had decided that I would let the hotel know of their bad rap for breakfast on this forum, but alas, no need. Who knows, maybe they check this site too!!!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:31 AM
Stefano Zerbi

Dear Friends,<BR><BR>I often check Fodors.com, is a great way to check my clients feelings.<BR>I'm the Laurin hotel manager and just to say my point of view, our breakfast is not the best in the world but, I think, not the worst. We offer fresh croissant(plain, jam, chocolate and cream) cereals, muesli, yougurts, orange and graipfruit juice, white and brown bread, chocolate cream, choice of jam, fruit salad, season fresh fruits, fresh milk, boiled eggs, cheese, ham and mortadella. We do our best but not having a restaurant kitchen for us is impossible to offer a full american breakfast. It is alsow a reason why we are the less expensive 4**** in Santa Margherita.<BR>Please write me if you have any question!! Bye, bye..

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 04:45 AM
Judy

Hi Stefano, we will be staying at the Laurin May 11-15. The breakfast sounds fine to me. Looking forward to visiting your lovely town.<BR>Judy <BR>PS. it is nice to know that you care about your customer's concerns.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 06:47 AM
Mari

We stayed at the Hotel Laurin this past July, at the last minute upon arrival in SML, when our original B and B choice was not at all what we were expecting. <BR><BR>The management is welcoming, helpful, and gracious. The location is wonderful. The rooms have a lovely view of the harbor. The breakfast choices are just fine and the coldcut and cheeses are delicious - exactly what Mr. Zerbi described. <BR><BR>There is absolutely no "downside" to staying a the Hotel Laurin. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 06:56 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Very interesting ! This proves the power of cyberspace and the scope of this forum. Mille grazie Stefano for replying, and for being so customer sensitive. I never cease being awed by the power of the WWW.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:52 AM
travel nut

The Laurin has a great location but we like the Hotel Continental better.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:16 AM
Judy

One more interesting aspect to this thread was the e-mail I received from Stefano about my stay at the hotel, stating that he would me our stay as "comfortable as possible". It made my day... what a lovely thing to do! Judy

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hey Judy ! That is really cool. Ain't cyberspace great? Have fun !

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:42 AM
Mari

Judy, you will enjoy the Laurin. We loved it.<BR><BR>Request a room with a terrace and a window. Some rooms opening to terraces have only the door to go out. Our room also had the window which made the room cheerful and bright and gave us a great panoramic view. <BR><BR>The terrace is fabulous for relaxing in between area adventures or for "take-out" lunches or dinners. And don't forget to lounge by the roof top pool with the spectacular harbor view. <BR><BR>Desperately missing SML right now!<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!<BR>