Search

Braveheart

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Cindy

Braveheart

We're watching "Braveheart" and thinking about our upcoming trip to Scotland! Is it true that it was all filmed in IRELAND? If so, does it at least LOOK LIKE the Highlands? What do you Scots think of the movie?

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:20 PM
brezzy

I was in the highlands last year in July its beautiful there sheep on the hills and rolling green hills. Make sure you have warm clothes as even in July it was very cold there and windy have a fun trip I liked Braveheart

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:06 PM
sandy c

hi cindy,<BR><BR>wasn't that movie wonderful! I have watched it a dozen times.<BR><BR>I am almost positive that the battle scenes and many of the low land scenes were filmed in Ireland. <BR><BR>however, many of the highland shots were filmed in scotland, glen nevis, glencoe, etc. and yes that is what it looks like...simply breathtaking. I went for a 16 day excursion of the UK IN 1996 and we spent about 6 days driving around scotland and the highlands. <BR><BR>I had talked to several scots that liked the movie well enough and it really helped to boost tourism, however, they did say gibson and randall wallace took a lot license in changing history a bit.<BR><BR>I think it did a remarkable job and was a wonderful movie.<BR><BR>sandy c<BR><BR>ps i hope to be in scotland myself in october. let me know how your trip goes.<BR><BR>

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Cindy

I'm so glad to hear that Scotland really looks like that! I can't wait!

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:47 PM
xxx

I was recently on a CIE tour of Ireland and our guide was always quick to point out absolutely everything. The tour was great. Either way, he pointed out, when we could see where the Irish army was trained, that Braveheart was filmed in Ireland and that the troops in the Irish army were actually the extras.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:15 PM
anne

You will love Scotland. Stirling is the gateway to the highlands and offers a rich history re this period. the castle is must see and the surrounding country side. I went to College there for a year and I would look out the windows of the library and be so captivated by the beauty, Mountains w/ purple heather, clear lakes, castles...all out my window.<BR>Edinburgh is fabulous. You can do a search on this site for hotels, things to do etc... in Edinbugh<BR>There are so many little villages in th e highlands that it is worth hiring a car and driving around yourself to experience the magic of the Highlands. I am not Scottish, however some of my Scottish freinds enjoyed the movie.<BR>Have a great time.<BR><BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:25 PM
JohnL

If you want to emphasize the Braveheart aspect of Scotland (you will love the country and Edinburgh is wonderful) then definitely see Stirling castle. The Wallace monument is not too far away and offers a unique climb up into the tower if you're game.

Old May 9th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Bill

Battle scenes from "Braveheart" were filmed outside Kildare Town in Ireland on the Curragh plain-----right near the racetrack of the same name.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Bob

This area is great. Be sure to visit Glamis Castle while there especially with the recent death of the Queen Mother.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:00 AM
stu

battle scenes were filmed in Ireland. Most other location shots were in and around Glen Nevis, you wont see mountains like that in Ireland. The ski centre at Fort William has somne ski Tows named after Braveheart, Rob Roy as they were filed close by. enjoy.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Tony Hughes

Bear in mind only parts of Scotland look like that, the rest is different.<BR><BR>It's done wonders for tourism, especially in the central belt/Stirling areas. There's even a small town called Wallacestone near to where I work in Falkirk that has nothing to do with Wallace whatsoever but they've had umpteen town nameplates stolen (usually by Germans for some reason).

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Maira

Filming Locations for the movie BRAVEHEART: <BR> <BR>Fort William, Glencoe, Scotland, UK<BR><BR>Glen Nevis, Fort William, Scotland<BR><BR>Glencoe, Scotland<BR><BR>Loch Leven, Onich, Highland, Scotland<BR><BR>Sally's Gap, County Wicklow, Ireland<BR><BR>St Margarets, Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland<BR><BR>The Curragh, County Kildare, Ireland<BR><BR>Ballymore Eustace, Kildare, Ireland<BR><BR>Trim Castle, Trim, County Meath, Ireland<BR><BR>Town of Trim, Ireland<BR><BR>You are right to be so excited about your upcoming trip to Scotland, some of the most gorgeous scenery I've ever seen and the most genuinely friendly people we have encountered on our travels.

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Ian

As a movie it is great entertainment. The facts are pretty flawed so it shouldn't be viewed as too accurate regarding Scottish history. Wallace was a "lowland" Scot, as were many of his followers. It's doubtful they would have worn the kilts, as shown.<BR><BR>In terms of timing, Wallace died in 1305, Longshanks died in 1307. The "princess" in the movie would have been 5 years old at the time of his death. Also, the major battle portrayed at the end of the movie, the battle of Bannockburn, took place in 1314, many years after Wallace's death.<BR><BR>BTW, most of the extras were part of the Irish army. They had their second major role portraying the Americans landing at Normandy in "Saving Private Ryan."

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Uncle Sam

Do not miss Glencoe...it is one of the most eerily beautiful spots on all the earth. the history is also dramatic!<BR><BR>Pitlochry makes a great base for the Highlands. From there you can take daytrips up to Inverness and back through Loch Ness and return through Glencoe.<BR><BR>You can also take the castle tour down through Balmoral and over to the coast.<BR><BR>US

Old May 10th, 2002, 06:25 AM
lowland

&gt;It's doubtful they would have worn the &gt;kilts, as shown.<BR><BR>Especially as the kilt was invented in the nineteenth century by an English ironmaster.<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Barbara

Fortunately, "lowland", that story has been proved to be incorrect. The current belief is that the present-day kilt evolved from the garments which were worn hundreds of years ago. As farming customs and warfare changed, so did the styling of the clothes which were worn.

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Clare

I'm from Aberdeen, Scotland, which is basically in the highlands. Although i am now living in Florida, Scotland is very beautiful, very worth a vacation. Let me know if you need any info. And yes Braveheart was an excellent film but not all of it was true!

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Cindy

I don't care if they wore kilts back then: I'm just glad that Mel Gibson wore one for the movie! Thanks for all the helpful information -- "My heart's in the highlands, my heart is not here..."