Bosphorus Cruise

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosphorus Cruise

I am confused about taking a Bosphorous cruise.

1. Which ferry am I supposed to take to get the most out of the cruise? I understand there is a regular and a commuter? and tour groups?

2. If you take the ferry - do you get to stop along the way or you just go for the ride? When, where and for how long can you get off?

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM

I'm reading from the Fodor's Turkey Guide...

There are cruise ferries, and commuter ferries. Both depart from Eminonu dock, Old Town.

Cruise ferries depart from Quay 3 10:30 and 1:30. Zigzag up Bosphorus, set stops, including couple of hours at Rumeli Kavagi or Anadolu Kavagi (two fishing villages) for lunch then zigzag back to Eminonu. Takes about 6 hours

Commuter ferries allow you to create own itinerary, can create own trip. But will need to wait (sometimes up to an hour) for next ferry to leave.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Dear Luvtravelin,

I advise that you take the 10.30 cruise ferry which zigzags (Asia& Europe) along the Bosphorus and leave it either at Bebek or Sariyer because the whole journey may take a bit too long if your time is limited. The ride between Eminönü and Bebek or Sariyer is long enough to get the gist and pleasure of the Bosphorus cruise and if you go as far as the last stop (Anadolu Kavagi)the ship stops there for some time to allow passengers to have lunch and returns following the same route.

It all depends on how much time you have. Enjoy the experience and be sure to rush and find a seat at the upper deck at the back of the ship so that you can enjoy the 360 degrees panaroma. Also remember to taste the real yoghurt served on board in Kanlica.

With all good wishes.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM

The commuter service is for people travelling to and from work. The only journey the full length of the Bosphorus starts at the northern end at 0640 and gets into Istanbul at 0820; the return journey leaves the city at 1810. This is not convenient for most tourists.

The tourist ferry trip runs twice daily in summer. You can get off at any of the landing stages and return in the afternoon. Most people have a leisurely lunch somewhere and each port of call has a choice of restaurants. The schedule is on www.ido.com.tr - click on "Conventional ferry timetables" then "Scenic Bosphorus tour". The ships leave Eminönü in central Istanbul at 1035 and 1335, and get back at 1630 and 1830.

There are also excursion boats which do a Bosphorus cruise from Eminönü. They leave hourly from 1300 to 1700, with extra cruises at 1100 and 1200 on Saturdays and Sundays.
www.turyol.com.tr/bogaztarifeeng.asp
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM

If you want the tourist 1030 cruise do you need to buy tickets ahead of time?
Veronica
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM

No, you needn't. If you arrive at the ticket office around 10.00-10.15 that will be fine. After buying your ticket(s), just join the queue and wait for the doors to open.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies - I have been away for a bit and so am just catching up.

GeoffHamer - you mentioned you can get off at any landing stages..but does the ferry wait there for a bit? I though it continues onwards. And since there are only 2 ferries - how do you see the rest of the stops? HOw would you get back.

Sorry - I am very confused.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM

The ships stop for people to get on and off, but do not wait, so you can't go ashore at one place then rejoin the ship to continue the trip. The timetable is on the link I gave above.
There are regular ferries about every hour between Sariyer, Rumeli Kavagi and Anadolu Kavagi, or you can go along the shore by bus or shared taxi.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM

the options are
go as far as Anadolu kavagi and stay there about 3 hours and return back. this takes almost all day.

Second option
go as far as Sariyer or rumeli kavagi then take the local bus back to downtown.
If you disembark at saiyer there is a very nice and interesting private museum (sadberk Hanim) to visit.
also the option is to go as far as kabatas on return trip and visit the Dolmabahce palace.(closed mondays and Thursdays)
regards
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Do the regular and commuter ferries operate in winter, specifically in November? Thanks.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM

As far asI know only morning ferries
do operate in the morning sailing at 10.35 everyday.
Afternoon ferries do run only in afternon.
regards

Nejat
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:37 AM

I took this trip 2 weeks ago. There are details in the replies of how to catch the ferry- it leaves at 1030 & when you purchase a ticket (17 Turkish Lira return) there are signs at the ticket window for the tourist cruise, excursion cruise or a similar name. The ticket seller will know what you mean-you can just point to the sign. The ferry takes approx 1.5 hours each way, zigzagging across the Bosphorus, stopping at various places. You can leave the ferry along the way, but I believe you will have to pay to reboard. If you take the ferry to the last stop, there are approximately 3 hours until the return ferry. There is a monastery, up a fairly steep climb, or you can spend time over lunch. Restaurants are primarily seafood. We noticed there were restaurants at the stops just prior to the last & several people appeared to stop & lunch there. The trip is very good, particularly if you dont see much of the Bosphorus during other sightseeing- it is a working port, and a very busy stretch of water.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:13 AM

Thanks Incedogan and Trotsky. Trotsky, do you remember which pier that cruise leaves? I have been reading trip reports, travel guides, Istanbul tourism site, etc. and I am getting different pier number. Thanks.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:24 AM

This is what I said in my reply last August:
"The schedule is on www.ido.com.tr - click on "Conventional ferry timetables" then "Scenic Bosphorus tour". The ships leave Eminönü ..."

Eminönü is near Sirkeci station, on the south side of the Galata bridge.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Geofflamer, I know it's in Eminonu, but what I am asking is the pier/dock #.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM

For NYC88 regarding where the ferry departs from- as MichaelParis said, you need the docks at Eminonu. There are several different piers & I have not kept my notes, however from memory the correct pier is the last on the left as you stand looking at the piers. You should not have any trouble finding it- around 10am I would suggest you just follow the crowd. Enjoy Istanbul If you are at all interested in mosaics can I suggest the Chora church. And the underground cistern is amazing-there are even fish in there and an underground fish restaurant!