Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bordeaux - where is the centre of the city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, we are looking for accommodation in Bordeaux for 4 nights in September and unsure where the centre of town is. Would you say Place de la Bourse is the centre?

Will arrive by train from Paris so I guess either walk or tram/bus into the city proper? By the way, we want to spend around 100-150 euro per night. Thanks.

Kay
Old May 21st, 2018, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triangle d’Or (Golden Triangle). Bordeaux’s monumental heart really is a triangle, bounded by three fine boulevards (Cours Clemenceau, Cours de l’Intendance, Allées de Tourny). Look at Google Maps, zoom in on the triangle and and then click on the button that says "Nearby", and enter "Hotels". You can then go to Booking.com to search for hotels in your price range.

Old May 21st, 2018, 02:17 AM

Nukesafe has it right, but the "city center" covers a fairly large area. I wouldn't want to stay right near the Bourse - you'd have to hoof it a bit (just a bit, but still...) to eat and shop, and there are many prettier areas. The actual city center, or at least what I think of as the city center, is a pedestrian zone, so that will limit you to some extent, too. We are in Bordeaux often, and we like to stay near the Place de la Victoire, which is a little "off" the city center but within easy reach of it all. When we are there on business, we just stay near the train station. The leafy Chartrons area, full of cafés and shops and with a delightful riverside culture, is another good choice. The tram system is wonderful and will take you anywhere you need to go quickly and efficiently. You really don't need, or want, to focus on being in the center.
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:07 AM

We stayed near the Opéra National de Bordeaux on the rue Esprits des Lois which is near the tourist office, the streetcar hub and the pedestrian zone. We did it twice and would choose that area again if we went to Bordeaux.
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:38 AM

Where the TI office is, which is near the Opera is the practical center for tourists, I would think.
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:40 AM

I stayed at the hotel below and used the tram (quinconces station) to travel to/from train station, get to the Duomo. I walked to the Bourse and Place du Parlement with no problem. The tram did not run on May 1 so I taxied to the train station for my day trip to St. Emilion.

Hotel Majestic: Bordeaux
HÔTEL MAJESTIC
2 rue de Condé - 33000 Bordeaux - FRANCE
Tel. : 00 33 5 56 52 60 44 / Fax : 00 33 5 56 79 26 70
www.hotel-majestic.com / [email protected]

Scroll down to April 29 for the Bordeaux portion of my TR:

Trip Report April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux - Fodor's Travel Talk Forums
Old May 21st, 2018, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is great info, thanks everyone. I've checked on Google maps to see where each location is and will check hotels next. Being in an area with lots of shops and cafes sounds just like what we like. A lively atmosphere and people watching

TDudette - I'm reading through your report now, making note of hotels and places to eat (for Paris too). Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure I will be back with more questions for the rest of our trip. It's finally coming together, yay!

Kay
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:05 AM

Have a great time, KayF! Hope you'll report back about how it goes.