Reload this Page >

Books on Solo Travel

Search

Books on Solo Travel

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Kelley

Books on Solo Travel

I am planning three weeks in France this August....adventurous...I am 60+...and this will be my first trip. Part of the trip will be a Saga art history tour, but I would like to spend several days in Paris on my own with side trips to surrounding towns. This trip is just for me! I want to make the most of it. Would like to have suggestions for a woman traveling solo. Would like to hear from any who have done this and/or do you know of books that address the best way to do it. I'm wondering what is the best way to handle dinner and evenings. Also, do you know a 3*** <BR>hotel that might best suit my needs. All recommendations will be appreciated. Kelley

Old May 16th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Carol

Dear Kelly, <BR> <BR>I'm 58 and have done most of my travelling solo. I think you'd enjoy staying at Bersoly's Hotel right near the D'Orsay museum on the Left Bank. It's a very reasonable 3* (@$150 for a single),the neighborhood is lovely--it's the upscale antiques area of the Left Bank. Do a specific search for it on this site--S. Fowler stayed there this winter and recommended it highly. I think you can probably book a room there through hotelboulevard.com. As for dinner and evenings, I find that I tend to have my bigger meal at lunch and for dinner, either get something to bring back to my room (lots of wonderful prepared food to go is sold at shops called "traiteurs" --I think this is French for caterer)or have a fairly quick light early (6ish)meal at a salon du the or bistro in the neighborhood. It's also fun and safe to stroll along the Seine and St. Germain in the evening. There is a book out there, whose title escapes me, for women travelling solo for the first time. You can most likely find it on amazon.com by doing a search on something like "women travellers" or "solo travellers". I've read it and I think it provides lots of useful information in a compact volume. I promise you, you will have the most wonderful time. Paris is a marvelous city in which to be alone. So many things to see and do--including just sitting in the Luxembourg Gardens enjoying the sunshine or simply wandering about the neighborhood near the hotel.

Old May 16th, 2000, 07:47 PM
Louise

Hi Kelley, <BR> <BR>I think Carol is thinking of "Gutsy Women" by Marybeth Bond. It's a small volume packed with lots of good tips. I traveled in Italy for a week on my own two years ago, and in France a few years before that. The hardest part is not having someone to share your adventures with. Carry your travel journal with you so you can update it between courses at dinner or sitting at a sidewalk cafe watching the world go by.

Old May 17th, 2000, 07:00 AM
elaine

Hi Kelley <BR>I've been to Paris both as duo and solo, and I'm sure you will love it. If you are interested in looking at my Paris notes, feel free to email me. <BR>Another excellent book is <BR>Traveling Solo by Eleanor Berman. <BR>Amazon carries it, among others. <BR>Enjoy your trip

Old May 17th, 2000, 09:18 AM
elvira

Kelley, there's no better place to be a woman traveler than Paris (the French men really like women). It's a safe city (avoid Pigalle at night; if you want to take in a cabaret, get a cab for the trip back to your hotel); it is in a woman-alone mode (explanation is that, after the huge loss of life during WWII, there were many MANY widows, so the sight of a woman dining alone, traveling alone, etc. became commonplace); any place known for chocolate and fashion, well.... <BR> <BR>You can sit in any cafe or bistro for a drink or light meal, and will feel at ease; you do NOT get seated in the back, near the kitchen, in restaurants (unless that's the only table left) - in fact, they sometimes seat you in the window; if you order a bottle of wine with your meal, you do NOT get a look; there are people out walking all the time, so strolling/wandering won't make you stand out. <BR> <BR>The books recommended are really good; I have a couple of solo travel books which I would count on if traveling to Peru or Istanbul; for Paris? Pshaw! No instructions necessary! No assembly required! <BR> <BR>Get yourself a good map of Paris; Michelin's Paris par Arrondissement is invaluable, or buy a similar publication when you get to Paris at virtually any newsstand or newsagent. <BR> <BR>For hotels, stay close to the Seine, as the neighborhoods are more lively, Metro stops are more plentiful, and the cool stuff is close by. <BR> <BR>For museums (besides the biggies), visit the Rodin Museum, the Jacquemart-Andre and the Cognac-Jay (in the last two, you'll probably be pretty much by yourself); the fashion/textile museum in the Louvre complex is great. <BR> <BR>For shopping, Galeries Lafayettes and au Printemps are the two big department stores; I like Bon Marche as well. For very cool hardware (drawer pulls, welcome mats, coat hooks, tiles), BHV. If you do needlework, check out the department stores for gorgeous kits, wool, and thread; there are lots of small boutiques that have incredible selections as well (mygod, the SCRIMS). In the Marais are wonderful stationery stores, with incredible papers, some handmade, that you can even buy by the sheet. For a fleamarket of the nth degree, visit Clignancourt; for a flea market for the commonfolk, try Vanves. <BR> <BR>Enjoy yourself - Paris is glorious.

Old May 17th, 2000, 08:07 PM
Kelley

Thanks and blessings to each of you...I am feeling very much encouraged and ready to revel in Paris and all that it has to offer. Kelley

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping for KOL
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:37 AM

I LOVE the book &quot;Travel Alone and Love It&quot; written by a female flight attendant. HAPPY TRAVELS!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nothing to do with Paris, but I like these two short story colletions:<BR><BR>The Unsavvy Traveler<BR>&quot;Women's Comic Tales of Catastrophe&quot;<BR>by Caperton, Mathews...<BR>also has a great list of websites called &quot;Resources for Travelers&quot; at the end<BR><BR>Hot Flashes from Abroad<BR>&quot;Women's Travel Tales &amp; Adventures&quot;<BR>ed. Jean Gould<BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:00 AM

I adore Paris, it is my favourite city and have been there twice on my own. Go into the website for Peter Caine's Paris Walks, they are really excellent and you will learn so much more about little localities like Montmartre, the left bank with them. Stroll around the Iles St Louis neighbourhood, it is just behind the Notre Dame. Also St Germain, Luxembourg gardens, Rue Boneparte area. Take a bateau mouche from Pont Neuf and cruise along the Seine. If you go to Versailles visit the small village also, there is a delightful cafe there called Creperie L'Oceane, great crepes and lovely french country decor. Buy a carnet of ten metro tickets and criss cross around Paris at your heart's content or just ride a local bus and see where it takes you. Walk around Montmartre and down the hill to Amelie Poulain's bar of the movie and enjoy dining at a cafe with the locals. From Paris visit Giverny and Monet's house and garden.<BR>Have a fabulous time.