Search

Booking with Banh from US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booking with Banh from US

Aloha,

I'm "leading" a group of 6 from Berlin to Rome via Munich (for Oktoberfest) and Florence. It seems that Banh.com can be our one stop shop for train travel on our adventure. in Germany and to Italy. we'll just be taking a local train from Florence to Rome.

Banh.com shows travel for each leg (Berlin -> Munich, Munich ->Florence), but do not allow me to book online. they mention travel centers, but i can't find US locations? Do I just call them and book? I'm not a big fan of sending my credit card via email.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'd like to book soon since I'm sure Berlin to Munich is likely to get very full very soon.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You would need to book the Germany tickets with bahn.de and the Italian tickets with Trenitalia. There are no trains Munich/Florence which is why you can't book. You either have to change trains in Padova or Bologna. If you try entering Munich (let if autofill - probably Munchen) and either Padova or Bologna on bahn.de you will see you can purchase it online. You would then need to buy Padova/Florence or Bologna/Florence on Trenitalia.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

For Florence/Rome, you must use the Italian spelling (Firenze/Roma) on Trenitalia. Be sure to double check time/day as on European websites it will be D/M/Y, not M/D/Y like the US. Also on Trenitalia, the system defaults to whatever time you access the website so be sure to change the departure or hour or it can roll over to the next day.

Notify your credit card company that you will be making these online purchases for Germany and Italy so they don't block the charge.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks! I've tried to do just this, and i go to the special section for more than 6 travelers

http://bit.ly/13Q7t2S

i go to the form and there is only a info form that i enter my contact information into and then a pop-up comes saying I'll be contacted in 24hours.

For Munich to Florence, it looks like I should be able to pay and book via Banh.com as well but directs me again to a contact page. maybe just call them due to the large group?
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM

It's possible you can only book 5 tickets? I think that's all Trenitalia allows in one purchase.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:51 PM

bahn.de times out so whatever link you provided no longer works.

I got the form for name and address information as well. Why not wait and see if they contact you.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM

There is a link for booking more than 5 tickets on bahn.de. There is a discount for booking 6 people together and perhaps they need more information from you for this type of booking. I would wait and see if they contact you.

If you wait until tomorrow there will be German people looking at this thread and they will be able to advise.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:03 PM

Ok, yes. I've just looked and you can only book 5 tickets at a time. You might have to break your purchase into 4 and 2 as I can get all the way to entering my credit card info.

If you select the more than 5 travelers, you get a bit higher price and you can't complete the purchase. I would break it either 3 + 3 or 4 + 2 and make two separate purchases. You might not end up in the same rail car though.

You could also let them contact you and see what happens.

I don't think Trenitalia allows booking more than 5 at a time and their group purchase is for 10 or more.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 05:43 AM

You can book the Munich-Florence direct City Night Line sleeper train online at www.bahn.de/en

Max 5 adults per booking, so you'd need to split the group and book in two stages.

If you want a Munich-Verona-Florence daytime option, through the scenic Brenner Pass, you'll need to book Munich-Verona at www.bahn.de/en then Verona-Florence at www.trenitalia.com