Booking train from Berlin to Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that you can book on line for the train either on DB Bahn or Czech websites but the rates are different - equivalent for 2 tickets $107 DBbahn vs $81.48 on Czech website. Is there a difference in which car you ride and/or amenities?

We will also be taking train or bus from Prague to Vienna. Any thoughts???

Also is it cheaper to buy online than the day of travel at the station. Many thanks for help.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:13 AM

Same train, same service (assuming you priced the same service). Generally, I buy my ticket the day I travel.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:14 AM

There's a difference between 1st and 2nd class but other than that it's the same train.

I prefer trains since you get get up and move around.

It's cheaper to buy tickets ahead.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:18 AM

Is this route cheaper, Adrienne? I was not sure. In most of Central Europe it is one price. I was not sure from Berlin. We usually start from Budapest.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:50 AM

I don't know where the OP got the Czech price since the web site I use doesn't give on line prices for destinations/origins outside the CR. There is a note to call for pricing or purchase at the station.

I can only imagine the price difference is because things are generally less expensive in the CR and perhaps the OP is not looking 90 days ahead for great reductions in Germany train travel.

I see tickets for Berlin to Prague priced at E39 (54USD) for early June (on bahn.de). I'm no sure that the CR has the same price reductions.

Seat61 states that the least expensive fares from Berlin to Prague are E29, booked on bahn.de but that would depend on advanced purchase, time of year, day of week. I believe this pricing since I picked a random date and came up with E39 on the first search. Searching around could give less expensive fares.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 11:54 AM

I found fares on July 1 for E29 with no connections. This is for off peak travel (early morning, mid day).
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks group! When I go on https://www.cd.cz/eshop, I can obtain pricing and tickets. It looks like the Czech website is the way to go.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 12:44 PM

Take the train to Vienna - we have done it three times (in both directions). It takes around about 4.5 - 5 hours, very straightforward. Because of where we stay, we get off at Wien Meidling, which I think is the major station on that line. The station intersects with the S-Bahn line U6 and there are also buses there.

Lavandula
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 12:49 PM

That's exactly the web site I used but now I'm not getting the error message. Very weird.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 04:20 AM

The train from Prague to Vienna starts at €19 (around 500Kr) at www.cd.cz/eshop - on the day it will cost around €49.

The trains are spacious and comfortable, with a proper restaurant car too. Far more civilised than a long-distance bus.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 04:28 AM

Generally, I buy my ticket the day I travel.>

For folks who want full flexibility to hop any train they want that is fine and priceless for me and others - but as Man in Seat 61 and adrienne say below you can save a lot by pre-booking a specific train on a specific date but that is booked in stone - cannot change nor refund usually.

So take adrienne's and Man's tips if you want to save money - for full fare and full flexibility just buy on day of travel - rarely any problem getting on trains - seat reservations are optional with either ticket and a few extra euros I believe.

For lots of great info on Eatern Europe trains check out www.seat61.com - Man in Seat 61 who posts above his commercial site; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

and yes trains IME of decades of European rail travel and some buses - trains are infinitely more comfy - can get up and walk around, etc.