Booking TGV...Fast and Easy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much frustration trying to book the TGV online I finally found an excellent resource. Thought I'd share...

Part of the problem was we want to go from CDG to Avignon, but the return trip is from Avignon to Gare de Lyon in central Paris. I couldn't figure out how to facilitate this on the web site.

I called 1-800-361-RAIL. What a PLEASURE! I booked both legs of the trip including assigned seats at the times I wanted, all for an extra $18 per person. In addition I ordered our Paris Visite passes for unlimited transportation on the entire Metro and RER, including to/from all airports.

The tickets and passes were FedExd to me overnight!! No standing in line, dealing with credit card and confirmation number hassles, presenting passports etc. What a way to go!
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:34 PM

gayle,
I'll guarantee you someone will get on here and hassle you about wasting your money. But I am in total agreement with you, my time is valuable and this is a fast and easy way to do it and well worth the extra $18.00 per person. My priority is my time and peace of mind and this way works for me too!
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:40 PM

Well, here I come a hassling....

This is a fine arrangement if you really do find the SNCF website problematic or if money doesn't matter, but I would point out that with the new PREM fares, you can make this trip for 50 euros and still get your assigned seats. An $18 fee on top of that is a pretty hefty expense, percentagewise.
And I understand there is a significant extra charge for the Paris Visite passes as well. So these are not great options for travelers who are trying to stay within a budget.
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I know, I know. I expected to get hassled about the extra expense. Does it matter that it's $18 Canadian dollars, about $12 U.S.? Probably not.

Anyway, not being on much of a budget for this trip, it seems worth the little extra.

Hey St Cirq, how about some restaurant recommendations? We're staying in Saignon. Many thanks.
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:02 PM

Hi
on my first trip to Italy (and going solo for the first half) I ordered my train ticket in advance in the US.
Paid a fee for that of course. Had it in my hands 3 days after I ordered it,seat reservation and all.
On my first arrival at the Milan train station, (coming straight from the airport) all I had to do was look for my track. No lines, no disappointment, no delays. I wasn't sorry then, and I might do it again in the future.
I'd rather spend that fee and eat bread and cheese and wine for dinner one night.
Moral is, we all save or splurge in different ways.
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:52 PM

I think for US$12, that sounds reasonable service to me, if the fares were not marked up. Same for Paris Visite, if it were face value.

However, I believe That number is simply Raileurope in Canada. They mark of rail fares considerably, so you did pay a lot more than just that service fee. Also, their prices on Paris Visite appear to be, from their web site, US$53 or CAD83 for the 3 day 5 zone PV pass which sells for 37 euro in Paris. They charge US$25 for the 1 day PV which sells for 17 euro in Paris.

I just don't think you realize the prices are marked up in addition to the service charge.

I can understand it for the train fares which might be more complicated and detailed, but not for the Paris Visite which anybody can buy in Paris in a minute at a ticket clerk window. If you paid face value for that Paris Visite it's not so bad, but I bet you didn't.
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Christina,
It appears you are correct about the Paris Visite passes. Live and learn. After days of frustration with the sncf site, I was finally so delighted to be able to finalize our reservations. I was never able to even price the rail tickets directly, despite numerous tries by me and two other travelling companions (in case I was a total dork). I even went back after reading your post to try to check the fares again, yet to no avail. For example, simply indicating my departure as CDG, arrival as Avignon and the date and time I get the following message: "Your itinerary has more than 2 changes. We recommend you make separate bookings for each leg of your journey." This despite trying it with and without a return leg.

I did expect that the rail fares were marked up. But I should have known better about the Paris Visite passes since on past trips I have always simply purchased them at a Metro station.

I guess I got caught up in the idea of finally being able to get everything arranged and FedExd to me that it didn't even occur to me to check the Paris Visite costs before simply ordering them.

Well hopefully this posting will be even more educational to readers than I originally intended
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:08 PM

Actually, I discovered it made sense to use the pulldown menu to select the departure station -- it was CDG2 or something like that -- not just CDG --and the trip is straight to Avignon. (I'd gotten the same odd message first time I tried it.) I ordered our tickets, got seat assignments and everything, charge was 50 Euro each, and I printed them out on my printer right here. We're picking up a car in Avignon, and will return it to Gare de Lyon after 10 days.
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:00 PM

Gayle: Much as I'd love to give you some restaurant recommendations, that's not an area I'm terribly familiar with -and when I am there, I am usually at a friend's house - and we cook. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from others, though.

And another tip for others trying to use the SNCF site - it may make sense to purchase RT tickets (at a lower fare) even if you are getting off the train on the return leg before the last stop. What I'm getting at is that I think, e.g., that the TGV line from CDG to Avignon and back stops at the Gare de Lyon in Paris. No conductor is going to notice or care that you're not going all the way back to CDG. So you can theoretically purchase the cheap PREM RT tickets CDG-Avignon and just get off at the Gare de Lyon on the return leg (just DO check out the stops the train makes before buying!).
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:30 PM
pj

I have been trying to book tickets via SNCF, CDG to Avignon. I have tried CDG 2, it will not proceed. I always have to punch in Gare de Lyon for the starting point!
Uh OH I used the pull down menu, it did not help! I keep getting what Gayle was getting! PJ
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:39 PM

want to clarify here...I was only speaking of the train tickets. I would never buy any kind of tourist ticket or pass even when I arrived. If I want metro tickets , I buy a carnet or a museum pass in London or Paris, I buy it there if I think it will be good value.

But there have been several horror stories on here lately about SNCF online bookings and trying to pick up tickets and they have no record and you are forced to buy another ticket and fight it out after you get home..not for me, thank you. That is after you have to stand in line and wait to pick up the tickets. I'd rather do something else in my last hour or so in PAris.
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:33 PM

pj - I just typed in the Aeroport to Avignon and it came up okay. I think the sncf website is very quirky! I had the same problem when I was trying to book my TGV ride from CDG to Lyon - at some point it told me that my trip has more than two changes. I just tried the website again later and it worked ok. Last week when I arrived at the airport I picked up the tickets that I had bought and paid for online in March and had no problem whatsoever.
Mara
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:04 PM
pj

Thank you Mara, I will try again!
1 more question, I was planning having the ticktes mailed to my hotel in Paris.

Has anyone done this? PJ
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:27 PM

Well, Jody, I don't think I've read the horror stories you recount, but several times a year I book tickets on the SNCF from Paris to Pyrigueux and I've never had a problem picking them up at the train station. I print out and bring with me my ticket confirmation, show it at the window, and am always given a ticket immediately. I don't understand why you have had problems - it has worked for me for the past umpteen years.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:24 AM
ira

topping
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:28 AM

Gayle,
The RailEurope method is definately more expensive but if it works for you - great! We booked TGV fares from CDG to Nimes on the SNCF site last Oct without any problems at 66E each RT. Curiously I mistakenly checked the box to mail tix to our home address in the US rather than picking them up at the station. I received the tix in the mail in 4 or 5 days anyway. Since then I've noticed that they have made changes on the SNCF site and I've received that message that reads " Your itinerary has two or more changes....." which I haven't been able to figure out. I guess after you go around the block a few times it's worth a few extra bucks to get things resolved.
Also St.Cirq is correct - the TGV does stop at Gare de Lyon. We got off the train there by mistake and upon realizing what we had done , had to scramble to get back on before it left the station.
Gayle, one more suggestion - buy a French bread sandwich at the deli in the CDG station to eat on the train. They're excellent and only 3E.

JoeG
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Joe,
Will do!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:58 AM

PJ - I have picked up my tickets at either CDG or Gare du Nord. I know nothing about having them sent to a hotel. Actually that would make me nervous. Now I understand depending on what type of ticket - there are some new sale fares - you can print it out yourself.
Mara
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:43 AM
Bootman4U

Everyone chooses to spend their money differently when traveling (thank God or we'd ALL be fighting for the same hotel room!) and when somone posts a subject like this with the sole intention of trying to be helpful I am always amazed when the "boy, we're you stupid" or "I do it differently[and probably better]" folks come popping out of the woodwork...
Gayle, I'm delighted that you found a way that works for you and you are not alone. Some folks like to spend hours saving a buck by waiting in lines and so forth...all a matter of priorities I guess.
Thank you again for your well-intentioned post. I am sure many will appreciate it even if they don't tell you so.

Old May 6th, 2003, 08:06 PM

Be careful regarding the TGV stopping at the Gare de Lyon. If you analyze a good map like Michelin, you will find that the TGV has a track that circumvents Paris, and goes directly to the airport (CDG). Some trains go to the Gare de Lyon, some do not.