Booking hotels online for Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard some horror stories about booking hotels online and I would welcome some feedback. I will be staying in 1 and 2 star hotels in Rome, Florence, Parma, and Stresa. Here are some of my questions:
1. What is the safest way to book the smaller hotels?
2. Do you recommend any inexpensive hotels in the cities mentioned?
3. Are some websites better than others for booking?
4. Is it safe to put credit card # online?
5. Is it better/safer to call the hotels directly?
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 07:45 AM
ira

Hi meg,

I often book hotels online. I always follow up by contacting the hotel directly and getting a written confirmation of the reservation.

A very good, inexpensive B&B in Florence is the B&B Peterson. See my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

It is as safe to send credit card numbers on the internet as it is over the phone. Some folks like to send the information in two emails.

Have a nice trip.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 08:34 AM

I do whatever I can to get the best rate possible. Some hotels have told me the only way to get the best rate is to book through the web, which I do. Then, like Ira, I reconfirm everything directly with the hotel via phone or e-mail or both. I almost always call the hotel first to see if their rate is the lowest and, if it is, I book the reservation with the person on the phone.

Most e-commerce sites have encrypted security so credit card charging is safer than restaurant use.

I'm visiting with my family for Thanksgiving and don't have my budget hotel info handy, otherwise I could offer my enjoyable experiences. In the meantime, I'm avoiding the kitchen - too many control freaks.

Old Nov 27th, 2003, 12:32 PM
PBT

When I was planning my trip to Italy 2 years ago, I booked through www.itwg.com. I found their hotel choices and rates excellent. I had to amend my booking before departure and had no problem whatsoever.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Good morning., Meg
have booked hotels in Eur by
1. e mailing request for availability and price.
2. e mailing reservatiion request and
request fax number of hotel.
3. Fax credit card number for deposit on reservatioon.
4. get e mail confirmation of reservation....
Richard of LaGrange Park,IL>
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Meg,

Earlier this year I booked rooms in Italy and London through the hotel websites. I did put credit card # online without a problem. Do remember to print a copy of your confirmation and bring it with you, as one hotel tried to overcharge us until I pulled out confirmation.
Have a great trip!
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 06:31 PM

Hi
I browse on websites (one good one is venere.it) but I book directly with the hotel so that my relationship is with them.
Don't be disuaded by official rates posted on hotel websites; those are usually set at the beginning of each calendar year. Email or fax the hotel directly and ask for the best rate for the type of room you want and there are often new promotions or such that will offer a lower rate than the official rack rate. Be sure to mention when you write, what sort of bed(s) you want and how many people will be staying: e.g., a room for two people with one large bed, or a room for two people with two beds.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 10:22 PM

hi, i always book by e-mail. just confirm a little before your trip.
in Stresa i ate super one evening in the Hotel Ristorante Fiorentino. the garden were you sit was lovely. so was the food and general atmosphere. it isn't right on the lake but in the center of town a few minutes from the lake. didn't see the rooms.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 05:36 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Milan and Venice in June this year and we booked our hotels using www.italyhotelclub.com and www.holidaycity.com and we didn't run into any problems at all. I have posted a trip report with lots of pictures from our trip on my homepage <font color=blue>www.gardkarlsen.com</font>

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway