Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vueling Airlines-already booked-any tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2015, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying Vueling from Ibiza to Barcelona in a couple of weeks on a late morning flight. I've been reading horror stories about people getting bumped, lost luggage, being told the flight has left early (or closed boarding early), etc. I realize it's a discount airline and don't have high expectations, but the above worries me. Given that we are already booked (and there are about eight of us traveling together, but in separate records) does anyone have any advice? Also, advice about carry on luggage?
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:16 AM

Turn up when you are expected, ensure your luggage matches their requirements, read what they sent to you
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with the above. Be at the airport when the airline advises that you be there and pay attention to what is happening. They are strict about carry-ons in terms of size as well as the weight of anything checked.

The other thing you need to do is stop reading all those horror stories and make sure all those "separate" people know they have to be up and acting like adults for this.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:40 AM

Ditto
horror stories are written by people who coulnd't find their nose in the dark.
But of course they will not say that they were late, or booked via third party to save 5 bucks and had a problem, or had a scam program that rejected mails from Vueling in case of a change of timing.

I've been advised several times to check time of plane a few days before day of departure, to be sure, there had been no change.

I find a good piece of advice. But have never done so.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:52 AM

People often think there is some magical thing to know about carryon luggage other than reading the requirements and adhering to them. It's really that simple.

These are the standards, which are pretty clear:

<<Your hand luggage is what you can take on the plane with you, providing it does not weigh more than 10 kg and is no larger than 55x40x20 cm. Remember, regulations at the boarding gate are very strict. If the size or weight of your luggage exceed the allowances, you'll have to pay a charge of €35 per item each way.
Only the Excellence fare allows you to take hand luggage weighing up to 14 kg, plus you’ll have guaranteed space on board.>>

Most people who have problems are just too cheap to pay for checked baggage, even when it doesn't cost that much, and then knowingly try to violate the carryon terms and don't like it when they are caught.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 12:25 PM

I was in one of those horror stories - in a Barcelona-Florence flight they simply did not load any luggage at all in Barcelona. My brother had a tougher story to tell - in a Florence-Paris flight first they told that due to bad weather they were not going to load any luggage to keep the airplane light. But as the airplane was still too heavy, the boarded only 75 people out of the 100 or so that already had boarding cards. - I understand Vueling problems are recurring in Florence as the runway is short and apparently as soon as weather goes bad Vueling flights need to keep light. - But the real problem with Vueling is that customer care is very limited (to put it mildly) and if there is any problem you will likely be on your own. This summer ENAC, the Italian flight autorithy, got tired of Vueling bungling their act in Rome and police having to sort out matters with enraged customers and threatened them with suspending their flight license over Italy if they did not take immediate steps to assist stranded customers.

I understand that on a local Spanish flight they are less likely to have problems. But if you want an advice, try to fly with hand luggage. As an alternative, in a recent flight Florence-Madrid (I would have preferred any other airline but my employer chose Vueling), I was sure to have in my hand luggage a few pieces of clothing, just to be safe in case the checked luggage did not make it to destination.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 02:11 PM
jft

Just flew them today. I thought it was a great flight, good staff, organized,on time. Flew Granada to Barcelona. I flew them once before without issue. I was impressed.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 02:34 PM

I have had more problems with Delta from LGA, than Vueling.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 03:15 PM

Luggage are usually delayed but not lost. Not loading all the luggage happens to all the carriers, some do more than others. If the luggage loaded so far hits the weight limit target based on the flight condition, temperature, wind direction, rain, etc, they simply stop loading any more luggage. On every flight I take, I assume this possibility and carry-on appropriate items to minimize the pain should luggage get delayed. I see other people carry on hardcover book(s)! in a tote bag as their only carry-on. I rather want to carry one change of clothes. This is something one can control - assume things always work correctly or prepare for foul ups.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 03:33 PM

As others said, just follow their rules and get to airport on time. You will read horror stories about every airline, does not mean that it happens on every flight or that it will happen to you. If you can do carry on only, then do it, but i would say that about any airline, just makes things quicker. But just make sure your carry on meets their requirement and you are not trying to get what should be checked luggage onto the plane with you. Flew Vueling from Seville to Barcelona, no problem at all, thought it was fine and would fly them again. Got us there on time and with our luggage.