Book through TA or company

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have decided on a 12 day Italy escourted tour(please don't try to change my mind on the escourted thing)...going with Gate 1. I have looked at the other companies but this one is the closest to what I would like.

I have considered booking through Affordable tours or Vacations to go. Is there any benefit with one over the other?

Would I be better off booking straight through Gate 1?
Should I do my own air fare or depend on them? It looks to be cheaper booking the air with them but have read some have had horror stories. Do I get some choices on the air if I book with them and if so will they change it later anyway?

Thanks for any help in this area.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Tours don;t change air travel - the airline do - and you have no recourse except to cancel that flight and book another.

If you know what you want (have you researched their hotel options to see if they satisfy you?) why get a travel agent involved? (Unless they have extensive experience traveling in europe and can give you personal advice for free?)
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

I would only use the travel agent if I could get it cheaper than booking directly through Gate 1.

I realize the air can change and most likely will. If I book the air on my own at least I know if/when flights change and can adjust as required. If I don't book on my own, it appears that I may not even know the flight schedules until just before leaving. I wouldn't like that, but it also looks like the cost is significantly cheaper. I just don't know if I like having no control. I guess I would like to have an opinion of anyone who has booked like this and what their experience was.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Can you call Gate 1 and ask if you will have any choice in your air travel? I would try to do your booking through them directly.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM

The only benefit with booking through Affordable or Vacations to Go is the price. Do these companies offer the same price for the trip as Gate 1? If so then book directly with Gate 1.

If the air is less expensive when it's included with the tour then buy it through the tour. If you provide your own air arrangements many tour companies will not transfer you to/from the airport to hotels so you have to factor in transportation costs.

If you're concerned about air arrangements changing then you should periodically follow up with Gate 1 and ask if there has been any change. You'll also want to register your choice of seat assignment with Gate 1 (aisle, window).