Tour package vs. booking separately

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour package vs. booking separately

Since it looks like there won't be any good deals on airfares to Europe this summer, the packages offered by Gate1, Monograms, Globus, etc. are looking pretty attractive. Should I still try to beat those prices by booking things separately? Or is that going to be impossible this summer?

I should mention that we're trying to get from Chicago to Rome (or possibly Rome and Paris) in late June.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I don't know about which way will be cheaper but I wanted to point out with some of the package companies they book you in tourist class hotels that are well outside the tourist areas (I had that experience with Gate 1 in Russia) so do be sure and check the hotels before booking.

You might have a look at Go Today, we just got back from our trip to South America booked with them and they offered several different classes of hotels. We were very pleased with them (basically it's not a tour, they provide air/transfer/hotels). Everything was as advertised and I loved being met at the airport and not having to figure out buses or taxis.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Sometimes it is better to do a package because you aren't able to get a very favorable air fare. I would check airline packages also. One way to compare is to look at air fares. Then look at hotel recs and see what those prices are. The one thing packages do is basically charge you double for the hotel--each person is paying the same, but when you would book a hotel room yourself, it is the same price for both people = half. There are companies (maybe ABC Tours) that will book air, hotel and transfers, and the rest is up to you.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Good point, I hadn't even thought of the fact that you end up paying double for the hotel room. Thanks for the advice.

I'd still like to hear other's opinions too!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Before you book check out these sites:

airfarewatchdog.com
and
faremax.com
and
untours.com

faremax will let you plug in variable dates