Bologna Restaurant Recs Appreciated

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We will be there for four nights this August. Spending one day doing the "food experience" already reserved and I suspect those folks will have recs also but thought I'd ask here nevertheless.

It does not have to be so-called 'fine dining" but we can do that, also. Probably interested in a main meal every day as we will have breakfast in the hotel.

Italian cuisine preferred; budget is not an issue and thank you for any comments.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We love Bologna...would highly recommend this restaurant

http://www.drogheriadellarosa.it

Reservations likely required.

And this is a favourite place to while away a few hours people watching

http://www.barilcalice.it

Have a great time!
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Jamikins, thanks very much for these...appreciated.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 02:37 AM

My pleasure!

We also have reservations at Osteria Broccaindosso in a couple of weeks. They don't have a website. We haven't been yet but it gets good reviews.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 02:40 AM

Thursday Day Seven: Bologna: Caminetto d’Ora

http://www.caminettodoro.it/
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...a_Romagna.html

I took the 0945 train to Bologna and arrived in time for an early lunch. This restaurant recommendation I got from Fodorites, and it did not disappoint. It was overcast and cool that day, and I was really looking forward to my first taste of Bologna cuisine. I started with their famous Tagliatelle al Ragu Bolognese, which was divine, and nothing like the tomato sauce covered concoctions one generally gets in Italian restaurants in UK and North America. It is heavy and I probably should have ordered it as a main rather than a starter. I followed with a Guinea fowl stew, which was also delicious, but I couldn’t finish it, as I was stuffed to the gills. Beware: Food in Bologna is heavy and rich and absolutely delicious. Decor is plain – its all about the food.
With two glasses of wine and water, the bill was about 42 Euro.

Friday Day Eight: Bologna: Osteria Bottega

This tiny restaurant is a good 20 minutes schlep from the centre, so be prepared for the walk. Of course, it took me 30 minutes to get there, due to the fact I am directionally challenged. No matter, walking in Bologna is a complete joy, and the best thing you can do in this very beautiful city. It was raining again, but the medieval city fathers constructed and the covered walkways to shelter pedestrians.

I got to the restaurant early, and it was yet to open, as I know it is very popular, and wanted to ensure I got a table. The restaurant has few tables, so book ahead or get there early. The ‘Madam’, who runs the front-of-house, has little English, but makes up for it with genuine warmth and charm. The menu is in Italian/English/German, translated in an hilarious manner – I should have taken a picture!

They are famous for their cheese and cured meat starters which, as a single diner, is difficult to take advantage of. There is a mixed started for two of the ‘best of’ which you should definitely order if you are a party of two or more. I thought I should at least try something from that section of the menu, so I ordered some charming sounding dish like ‘Lardo from a black pig that lives up on the mountain’. I just love all bits of the blessed pig, so I ordered that, followed by the Pasta Ragu and then the roasted guinea fowl. My eyes were defiantly bigger than my stomach, but it was going to be a long lunch, as it was teeming rain outside.

The ‘Lardo’ was just that – I actually ate a plate half a plate of pig fat – thinly sliced and delicious. I couldn’t finish it, and it is clearly meant for sharing. The Pasta Ragu was probably better than yesterday’s version. By the time the roasted Guinea fowl arrived, I didn’t have much appetite left. It was very good, but quite ‘gamey’. What I SHOULD have ordered as the main course was the Pigeon and sorry I didn’t, as it gets rave reviews.
Bill, with half litre of excellent wine and water, was about 40 Euros.
I know I keep saying ‘Not to be missed’, but trust me, this is a treasure and well worth the walk. Actually, you will need to before and after constitutional walk to work off those calories.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++
Sunday Day Ten: Bologna: Restaurant Cesarina
http://www.ristorantecesarina.it/

It was a simply glorious sunny day in Bologna, and I walked and walked and walked

Restaurant Cesarina was a Foderite recommendation, and it was very good, but not spectacular.

It is located in one of the most beautiful Piazzas in Bologna. Please visit the church of Santo Stefano while you are in the area, and walk the surrounding streets.

I chose the Ricotta tortellini with sage butter as a starter, which was very tasty, and followed with the Osso Bucco. Very good food, but not the best I had in Bologna. Again, I am putting this down to a jaded palate. I had too much rich and delicious food at this point. I was also coming down with a cold.
With the usual half-bottle of good wine, the bill was around 45 Euros.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 02:57 AM

And one I just thought of

http://www.trattoriadiviaserra.it

A bit of a walk past the train station but worth it! Definitely need a reservation.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, again for these further ideas. I'm sure we'll be pleased.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 05:32 AM

Osteria Broccandaisso gets most of its glowing reviews for having an absolutely gluttonous dessert cart. If you want to eat mounds of dessert following an otherwise undistinguished meal, go for it. But leave room, because the joke is for pile the sweets on the plate for tourists. I would also check to make sure it is air conditioned, since it is upstairs. (I know Cesarina has air con because it dripped on me and I had to move tables.)

In August, it is tough to eat many classic Bolognese dishes. I would prefer to go to Teresina, which has a good fish menu and outdoor garden seating (if it's not too humid for that). Also Da Maro, which is Sicilian and thus has excellent food suited for hot weather. I don't know what kind of hours these places keep in August.

Also, unless things have changed, the eating mode at Drogheria alla Rosa is a nightly limited menu, chosen by the proprietor, in which diners are not given any options -- just served. (Proprietor serves a lot of pre-meal prosecco to ensure cooperation!) Anyway, it may have turned into a more conventional place with an ala carte menu. But you might want to double check you've got the latest info on that score. I don't know what's been going on there for a long time.

Restaurants in Bologna are a bit of an Italian exception in that they serve plenty of large salads at lunchtime, even at dinner. They are rich with cubed meat and cheese but they can make sense in the heat. One thing I would not want to miss in August in Emilia-Romagna is chilled melon with prosciutto, which is often eaten as a main course, not an appetiser, in summer.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 05:35 AM

Well we certainly had a menu at Drogheria alla Rosa, but we were there for lunch on a Sunday. We didn't get prosecco either.

We don't eat a lot of sweets so may rethink our dinner plans.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:03 AM

Jamikins do not rethink your dinner plans based on that one paragraph above. Unless you find more than one review that focuses on a dessert cart.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:12 AM

Will likely stick with it and then I will report back! My research has usually led us right
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:40 AM

We like Trattoria Serghei, a very simple and unassuming place near the University.
The food is excellent. We usually go for lunch, and have been the only English speakers there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...a_Romagna.html
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 02:25 AM

jamikins, do you read Italian?

http://www.nuok.it/bulagna/osteria-b...ata-a-bologna/

Like I said, unless you interested in desserts (or are staying next door,) it's a very average neighbourhood trattoria in a neighbourhood that is is not convenient to much else for most visitors to Bologna.

Also, for the sake of others thinking about eating at Drogheria alla Rossa, a fast look at TripAdvisor indicates that the situation I described -- no menu, proprietor-steered dining - is still the experience of recent visitors. ("no real menu" "I was offered a glass of prosecco & plate of cured meats as soon as I sat down" ...). It's of no importance to some people, but others using this forum to plan a trip would want to know. Many people do not eat many kinds of dishes in Italy for one reason or another, and don't want a no-choices dinner.

Regarding Serghei, it's in every food guide and it's a small place, so reservations are a must. While there is a wide range of choices each evening, normally there is no written menu handed out inside. It's only posted outside, and inside if you don't already know what you want to eat, you'll only get a verbal recitation of the dishes, from staff that doesn't speak English, so be prepared for that (unless things have changed -- people can consult TripAdvisor, not for food opinions, but just to understand what the mode of service is).
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 02:59 AM

The owner of Serghei speaks perfect English and has on the 3 visits plus one phone call I have made from the US to his restaurant. Reservation are a must. We were accommodated in the small entry room one evening when we did not have a reservation as several people were turned away. We found the food and service excellent and a very good value.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 03:19 AM

Well -- how funny ! I speak Italian and since I have never seen him speaking English to other tables where people were obviously having trouble with understanding his Italian, I just assumed he didn't -- but he's a quirky guy. Thanks for the news. I agree Serghei is good value, and one of the few places worth actually walking out of one's way to eat in while in Bologna if one is looking for a trattoria experience of Bologna. Also, for summer, if one is looking to sample a classic version of zucchini ripieni alla bolognese, it's usually on the menu.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 03:28 AM

just so you don't think I'm totally crazy, I did a fast google and got this blog (as far as I know Serghei has never employed a waiter, and only the proprietor takes orders and serves from the kitchen)

https://thetravelbunny.com/bologna-f...capital-italy/

It's also possible in 5 years he's learned to speak perfect English given how many English speakers go there to eat.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 03:28 AM

The zucchini was wonderful, in english or italian. Thanks for making my mouth water.

Interesting guy, Mom does the cooking.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 04:02 AM

yes, the classic nonna spot.

Have advertised myself as an Italian speaker, I should do better with my Italian spelling (which is 3x as bad as my English spelling): Zucchine ripiene alla bolognese. (auto-spell is not our friend).