Bologna Ravenna Train Day Trip Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

We're thinking about doing this in October. ItaliaRail shows its only nine bucks each way. Is it better to get tickets now? We're not sure if we will do it (we also have a Padua day trip on our Bologna stay). But if it's cheaper now, it seems like it would be wise to purchase them now. If for some reason we don't do the day trip (you never know, I might fall on my head in one of Bologna's towers) we'd only be out 18 dollars apiece. Thanks.

Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is probably a local train. The price will not change. Buy the ticket when you are there and sure you will actually go.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:37 PM

Just realized I was responding to Maitaitom! All the sights are very walkable from the train station. In one day you can even fit in a local bus ride to nearby Classe to see yet more mosaics.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:40 PM

No, it doesn't make any sense to buy these tickets in advance, especially if you're not sure about making the trip. All of the trains serving Ravenna are regional trains. You can get tickets with a change of train, which cost slightly more than the direct trains, but the direct trains are certainly to be preferred. The price is the same no matter when you buy the tickets, even on the morning of the trip. Buy them when you're sure you will visit Ravenna. Regional train tickets bought online have to be used within a four-hour window, while those bought in the station can be used at any time on the specified day. You have to stamp the tickets before boarding the train, or they're not valid. If you buy them online, you don't stamp them.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:43 PM

This route is served by Regionale trains. You get the ticket at the same Euro price with access to the same seats by buying them just before departure at the station. That was what I did at the Bologna Centrale station.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, you guys are great. Almost time to stop and smell the pasta!

Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I generally bought tickets a few days before, and its not much money.

I am certain you and Tracy will just fall in love with Ravenna.

Padua for me was a place in which I could easily live for the rest of my life. If you are still planning, consider staying in Padua for a couple of days - It is very special, IMO. Maye include Vicenza in your plans?

Best regards Ger
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 02:21 PM

Regional trains also have first class but not always but if do may be worth the relatively little extra to go first class with better chance of getting seats togethe as there are no possible reserved seats on Regional trains - for a rundown on first v 2nd class, etc. on trains in general check www.seat61.com - BETS-European Rail Experts - www.ricksteves.com. Heed all the experts above - no reason to book any regional ticket ahead of train and like bvlenci says reasons not to in some cases at least.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 02:39 AM

There are no 1st class carriages on those routes. Most of the trains start in Bologna, so you can easily find seats together by arriving at the station in time to be among the first to board.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 05:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We did the daytrip from Bologna to Ravenna for the mosaics last summer. The train was mobbed but we made sure we were some of the first to board; bought tickets on the day from the machines. Agree that you can easily do the majority, if not all, the mosaics on foot. Stopping in at the local tourist info location and getting the free map was very helpful. We went on a Sunday so had to wait for services to conclude at one location since they assumed we did not want to actually attend the Mass even though we did.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 06:58 AM

We also made it a day trip from Bologna. Bought the ticket same day. It was a longish (a mile?) walk to the mosaics but worth it to pass the market square. I wouldn't mind staying in Ravenna for several days. Search 'Wednesday March 23' in my TR if you are interested:

Turin, Spoleto, Bologna and Bellagio TR
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 07:19 AM

PS--we were there just before Easter weekend. Crazy number of people going home for that holiday on Wednesday.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 09:07 AM

https://www.busbud.com/en/bus-bologn.../srbj45-srbsy1

There are buses too that could be alternative to busy trains.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Hopefully, a Monday won't be quite so crowded. Thanks.

Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 10:01 AM

Regional trains being commuter trains largely Mondays should be as busy as any day but worse during obvious rush hours. And I've seen school kids rush on trains too for a few stops as these trains can act as schoolbuses too. Don't leave too early and avoid afternoon rush hours and trains may be half empty. Certainly starting from Bologna you'll have plenty of room and if return train originates in Ravenna also.

For Bologna-Padua you can take FA fast trains taking under an hour - about 30 minutes faster than regional trains and these you want to book as soon as you could at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia - much more comfy than regiional trains and all reserved seats so no standing, etc. One leaves Bologna about 9 am most days.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 12:05 PM

We went to Ravenna from Bologna on a weekday last October (bought tickets at the station that day) and the train was fairly empty. We had no problem getting seats together. There's a tourist office near the mosaics sites and you can get a map there for a self-tour or sign up for the guided tour. We did a self-tour but had enough reading material to educate us as we walked around. I've seen images of those mosaics a million times in art history classes but nothing prepared me for the breath-taking beauty of them in real life.
The thing that surprised me very much, though, was that other than a couple of young people taking tickets and a few velvet ropes keeping visitors safely back from the mosaics, there didn't seem to be any sort of security. Nobody checked our bags or otherwise seemed to keep an eye on visitors.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 02:58 PM

I think the commuter traffic would mostly be from Ravenna to Bologna in the morning and back in the evening, so a day trip from Bologna to Ravenna shouldn't encounter it. Besides the pre-Easter crowds wouldn't be typical of a normal weekday. I myself would much prefer the train to a bus.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 05:54 PM

Thanks, Tom, for this relevant post. I'll be in Bologna end of August and planning a day trip to Ravenna.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I took this trip, the train wasn't at all crowded but Bologna Centrale was a madhouse. For some reason, several of the self-service kiosks were out of order and so we allllll lined up to buy tickets from real people at the window. It was a baking hot day in July, too. Oh boy, good times.

And FWIW, I had been to Monreale outside Palermo before I visited Ravenna, and so I considered skipping Ravenna, thinking to myself, "Oh, I've already seen really good mosaics in Sicily. Ravenna will be a letdown." What a fool I was! I loved Monreale but Ravenna is incredible!!! The sheer variety. I urge you to take this trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 01:40 AM

For those who love mosaics, as I do, and who will be visiting Rome, I recommend Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Maria Maggiore, Ss.Cosma and Damiono, and the churches dedicated to two sisters, both martyrs, Santa Prassede and Santa Pudenziana. The last two date from late Roman times, and show the Apostles dressed as Roman senators. In Florence, in front of the Duomo, the Battistero di San Giovanni (whose feast day is today) has beautiful mosaics. And the mosaics in San Marco in Venice are splendid. Those who are visiting the classic three (Rome, Florence, and Venice) and don't have time to get to Ravenna should try to see one or more of these churches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -