Search

Bodensee - five days in October

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bodensee - five days in October

Hello,

Following our stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for four night we have decided to go on to the Bodensee area for five days (excludes our travel time there and leaving again). We would appreciate some guidance on the best base for our stay and for places to visit.

We would like to stay on the German side and do day trips in the area.

We love lake trips and wandering around beautiful towns. Good local food, scenery, not into shopping or hiking.

We can only use trains, buses and/or ferries - no driving.

We would like to see Meersburg and the Rhine Falls - all other suggestions welcome. Lindau?

Thank you.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 09:39 PM

Hi jinz,

I few years ago, I stayed in Lindau and loved it. I was there in November, though, so the ferry schedule didn't work in my favor! But it's a very sweet little town with some great shopping (er.... or window shopping lol). I was only there for 4 nights as I recall, but I did get to Friedrichshafen easily by train. I've read that there are wonderful biking and hiking trails all along the lake; I would look into taking a ferry or train out and then biking back in.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:33 AM

By public transport, the best base is Konstanz which is a hub for trains and buses as well as ferries, and allows easy access also to the western part around Untersee and to the Swiss side.

Besides, Konstanz is one of the very rare cities in Germany with an intact, authentic and undestroyed medieval old town. This city is widely underestimated by most.

Check out:
- Unteruhldingen, prehistoric museum village
- Reichenau island with its three medieval abbey churches
- Arenenberg Palace, where Napoleon's relatives lived after his fall
- Stein am Rhein
- Birnau, baroque pilgrimage church on the lakeside
- Zeppelin Museum Friedrichshafen
- the Hegau volcanoes, in particular Hohentwiel castle above Singen
- Mainau island and its gardens

Whatever you choose - pick a place with train connections. You will certainly receive recommendations for Meersburg, but Meersburg is about the only place aroud the lake that has no railway line, thus a bad choice for carless travellers.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 01:22 AM

Meersburg doesn't have a train station but it does have buses and ferries. Note that the car ferry to Konstanz ran a lot more frequently than the passenger-only service. You have to catch a bus from the Konstanz ferry port to the centre of town and the train station.

When we stayed in Meersburg we booked accommodation through the town website and it worked out really well. I would think that many of the towns around the lake would have a similar website as an alternative to the big accommodation aggregators.

It's a lovely area.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 03:00 AM

See www.bsb.de for ship schedules. There are no ships after October 15. The schedules for 2018 aren't there yet, but there will hardly be any changes.
See www.bahn.com for train schedules.
The Baden-Württemberg-Ticket (for regional trains and all other means of public transport except the ships) is valid from Lindau on, though Lindau is in Bavaria. You may use it from 9am on workdays and all day long on Saturdays and Sundays.
There is a railway line from Lindau to Konstanz (Constance),
but the fastest connections take nearly two hours, as there usually are two train changes. As quokka said the beautiful town of Meersburg is not on the railway line. You can reach it by ship or by bus from Friedrichshafen or Überlingen. By the way Überlingen is a pretty town, as well. Friedrichshafen was destroyed in World War II because of its industries and is interesting but not pretty. Nevertheless it is a good hub for day trips. Two beautiful towns in the Bodensee hinterland are Ravensburg and Wangen im Allgäu.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 04:02 AM

In addition to the BW ticket, look at the Bodensee-Oberschwaben Bahn (BODO) system as well as the Euroregio Bodensee. I used these tickets instead of the BW ticket. They are cheaper and may be adequate for certain trips. A BODO ticket may also get a small admission discount.

Bus 7395 goes from Friedrichshafen to Meersburg and also services the Birnau church and the Unteruhldingen museum village.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 04:39 AM

Buses are time-consuming and uncomfortable, compared to trains. In particular with luggage. I repeat my advice not to stay in Meersburg.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 05:47 AM

Almost everything has been said already. Just a few adds to the excellent list of quokka:

Dornier Museum at Friedrichshafen;
medieval city of Schaffhausen with castle (end point of the boat from Konstanz - Reichenau - Stein am Rhein; very close to Rhine Falls);
Historic timbered houses on the Swiss side side of Untersee (Gottlieben, Ermatingen, etc.);
Viewpoint Pfaender above Bregenz (can be reached by gondola);
St. Gallen: medieval Swiss city with famous baroque monastery and library (Unesco site);
Viewpoints in the Swiss Canton of Appenzell:
Heiden (cog wheel railway from Rorschach, view over the whole lake),
Hoher Kasten (Appenzell railway, bus and gondola, view to Rhine Valley, Liechtenstein, Swiss and Austrian Alps);
Salem monastery and palace, monkey pountain;
Tettnang palace;
Schussenried monastery.

If you stay at a railway hub like Konstanz, you can easily do daytrips to
Eastern and Central Switzerland up to the Alps and glaciers,
Stuttgart or Basel and it's fine museums,
the historic city of Rottweil,
lakes and gorges of Black Forest.

You already got the link to the boat'sd timetable valid until October 14th 2018.

BTW: French emperor Napoleon III grew up in the Konstanz area, became then officer of the Swiss army, later President of the Republic of France and finally Emperor. His mother lived and died at Arenenberg castle.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for this amazing help. I have had a happy Christmas week pouring over the various places and ideas listed.

One question - I have read that October can be foggy and grey. Don't mind rain, etc but if fog is prevalent at that time then we can visit the area on our next visit and would rather choose somewhere else this time round.

Sorry if it is a silly question.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 10:18 AM

It can be foggy at times. On the other hand, often the sun comes out in the run of the day, and the effect of sunlight breaking through the haze, lake views and autumn colours is magical! I spent 10 days in Konstanz one October, and we (that was in the pre-digital era) had to buy additional films three times because we took so many photos and ran out of supplies again and again!

The weather is always a matter of good or bad luck. Any time of the year.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 10:46 AM

Lindau was so so neat - city on a peninsula sticking out in lake.

Maybe split time between it and Constance.

Lindau easy to day trip to Austria just a few miles away or Switzerland via Bregenz, Austria. For Swiss trains check www.sbb.ch for schedules and general info www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. If going very far into Switzerland check out day passes - not enough travel of course for Swiss Travel Pass to figure in.

Check out Zepplin rides at nearby Friedrichshafen, home of the Zepplin craft - also a museum there.

http://www.zeppelinflug.de/en/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppel...riedrichshafen
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 02:36 AM

All Swiss lakes at lower altitudes (below 1000 metres) can have fog between late September and early March. That' usually the case when the weather is sunny and warm in the Alps.
Last week for example, Lake Constance was under fog and clouds with temperatures around 0 degrees centigrade whereas at 2000 metres (in the mountains of Vorarlberg and Grischun), the temperature was the same, but there was nothing but sun.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I have learnt a lot from the replies. We have decided to go and enjoy whatever nature presents us. I appreciate the friendly responses.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW: French emperor Napoleon III grew up in the Konstanz area, became then officer of the Swiss army, later President of the Republic of France and finally Emperor. His mother lived and died at Arenenberg castle.>>

To complete what nekervd said here, I learnt during a visit to the Tate Britain exhibition of the Impressionists in London last week that he was exiled to Chislehurst, a little south of London, where he died in Jan 1873.

It's many years [roughly 40] since I visited the Bodensee, but I still remember the gardens and hope that they are worth seeing in October.