Search

BMT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:39 AM
BMT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMT

Two adults, two teenagers going to Flaine, France for first ski-ing holiday beginning of April. Please can anyone give advice, tips on what is really necessary to wear, do, see etc. any help would be much appreciated as one of the party is not very keen!!

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:31 AM

Have you gone through the resort guide at the SCGB site (www.skiclub.co.uk)? It seems to bear out my memory that there's little at Flaine for the non-skier: the facilities come down to lots of stuff around skiing and a dozen or so boozers and restaurants for the evenings. Going anywhere else, except back to Geneva airport, can be tricky.

If you're new to all this, really good apres-ski boots are THE most essential thing. Walking around when you're not on the pistes is surprisingly un-cold (I'm assuming you're British or Irish), so for apres-ski you just need to wrap up well. But slipping's a risk for the oldies and wet feet are a pain for anyone. Slip-proof, waterproof, highly unfahionable, booties are indispensable. A few years ago, I saw an entire English school party in Italy go round in trainers evcery evening. Teachers and parents should have been shot.

For skiing, you'll be very cold on exposed lifts and the oldies can heat up dangerously as skiing is surprisingly energetic if you're a late learner. Lots of layers: thermal underwear, a light next layer, and an anorak that you can adjust a lot. THE best value ones I've seen lately are, bizarrely, in Tchibo outlets, including their concessions in bigger Summerfields.

Waterproof trousers for skiing are also essential: jeans are utterly lethal. You're going to fall over a lot: wet trousers can be seriously dangerous in subzero temps. I'd take silk glove liners as well as decent ski gloves.

Ski boots are best rented in the resort at yourt stage. Just allow lots of time before he first lesson to get a pair that really, really fit.

I can't think of any suggestion for the unkeen one except to take lots of books. Expecially if it's one of the parents, it makes no sense at all to career down a mountain at speed if you don't want to. Try a couple of lessons (which are always somewhere easily accessible), give it your best shot, then don't be nervous about just saying no.

But, oh nervous one, you're likely to get bored indoors, and you might be iffy about walking through the snow. So buy a hiking walking stick before you go, making sure you get one with a reasonably substantial rubber ferrule as well as a pointy end. Get one with a duck-shaped handle: they're about £20 in all outdoor shops, and dismantle down to fit in a suitcase for plane journeys. They improve your confidence on icy surfaces a million per cent, and make wandering along Alpine paths a great deal more pleasant. Ski poles, which you can hire in the resort, aren't anything like as good for walking.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:46 AM

PS: One lesson I learned the hard way a month or so back. Ordinary hiking boots are not a good option in snow: they just don't grip properly. Don't be tempted to use them for apres-ski.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:14 AM

At the start of April it's likely to be very sunny so sun cream & googles will be a must.

It's also a virtual certainty that you'll get VERY hot (both from time of year & learning to ski) so don't plump for that jacket that would keep you warm on Everest, get a lighter one and layer your clothing beneath them. I've used my normal walking waterproofs with good fleeces & thermals beneath them.

Also get a hat that can cover your ears as it's an easy way to keep warm - or stuff in your pocket if you get too warm

Good gloves are essential BTW as in April it's likely the slopes will be iicey in the morning & slush in the aafternoon.

Oh and do take some good ski socks, if your feet are uncomfortable then you will be miserable. If they feel uncomfortable then get them adjusted PDQ otherwise you'll have blistered feet. A way BTW to prevent the blister forming is as soon as you feel a hot spot on your feet, take the boots off & put a piece of zinc oxide tape over the hot spot. It'll stop the blister from forming as it will take the rubbing that your feet would otherwise take.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have already got some good response (for the life of me I can't figure out how since your title says <u>nothing</u> about what you are asking)

Just a (hopefully) helpful hint. Using your screen name for you thread title isn't such a good idea. I only opened it because I wondered what on earth BMT meant. It works better if you put what you are asking right there in the title . . .
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:33 AM

You also seem to have posted this under UK. I suggest posting again with, as Janis suggests, a more explanatory title - and under France.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:43 AM

It's under Europe, you must have a filter for UK only
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:45 AM

Yes, I know it shows up under Europe, but it also shows up if you just filter on UK. Therefore it wouldn't show up to anyone who was just filtering on France.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:04 AM
rex

Actually, it is under France also. But the point is... that it is an absolutely <i><b>wrong</b></i> message header. Really, I don't understand offering any advice on this thread other than <b><u>re-post</u></b>.

It's not evil, nor stupid to have made this mistake, but it's like driving the wrong way on a one way street... any other question you have about &quot;directions&quot; is irrelevant until we get this mistake corrected.

See also http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34763728

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:07 AM
rex

Sent to [email protected]

Since you have the e-mail address of this new registrant available to you, will you please send a message about how wrong and misguided this message header is? And it would even be nice for you to post on _this_ thread - - indicating that staff at Fodors are willing and prepared to step in and contact new registrants when they make a mistake like this.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:24 AM
BMT
Original Poster

Thanks everyone that answered. As you've all guessed it's my first time and I've succeeded in confusing myself and everyone else but congratulations to everyone that found me!I am Scottish (that may explain alot) and I am the 'not so keen' one going on my first ski-ing holiday, I'd much rather be by a swimming pool in the sun but it was 3 against 1 at the holiday family meeting.Still interested in everyones comments so please let me know any more tips you think of.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
rex

&lt;&lt; Still interested in everyones comments so please let me know any more tips you think of...&gt;&gt;

And you should re-post with a title that reflects &quot;Skiing holiday in France, beginning of April&quot;... to get more of &quot;everyone's comments&quot;!

It's the only polite thing to do.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:14 AM

Rex: Give it up already. No need to e-mail the world on this. BMT <u>does</u> have a thread w/ a better title -- but it has <b>zero</b> responses.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
rex

Ummm... you're wrong, janis... it has zero reponses because it (a question about skiing in France) is on the US forum, another common mistake that Fodors refuses to help new registrants avoid.

BMT is not to be faulted for making the mistake in the first place.

But having received generous responses, and having bee politely instructed on what the mistake was, it is nothing but hardheaded to NOT re-post - - in order to get more info.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:35 AM

oops - missed it was on the USA board. Sorry. But you have been pretty testy lately - demanding that posts be removed, etc. BMT has got the message already - if he is going to re-post he knows to do it. Let's stop beating this poor horse . . . .
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
rex

Testy? Your opinion, I guess.

&quot;Demanding&quot; that a post be deleted? Only when an unwarranted slur against was posted. And it seems to me there was agreement by at least thre parties: the person who hurled it (who sent me an apology), and the original poster (e-mailed me to ask how to get the post deleted or closed), and Fodors... who DID delete the post.

I hope that BMT becomes another &quot;satisfied customer&quot; here, maybe even a valuable contributor.

And displaying the courtesy to re-post would be a nice step in that direction.