Tips For Newbie Skiers

Search

Tips For Newbie Skiers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips For Newbie Skiers

I notice a number of people headed to the slopes for the first time. Thought the rest of us could help out.

1. Avoid altitude sickness by drinking LOTS of water and avoiding alcohol for a couple of days prior to flying/driving to altitude and for several more days after arriving.

2. Jeans and a sweater are okay at even the nicest restaurants in ski towns except maybe on holidays when you "might" need a pair of corduroys to dress it up. Or maybe not.

3. Lessons, lessons, lessons! And not from your friends or your sister in law. Don't spend all that money investing in the trip and then hate skiing because you are frustrated or petrified. "Learn to Ski" group lessons are very affordable as resorts want to add the the base of skiers. These lessons often include lift tickets and ski rental.

4. Discounted lift tickets can often be purchased online if you buy in advance. Same with ski rentals. If headed to Colorado try to find a Gold C coupon book ($10) or an Entertainment Book ($22) as they have very good discounts on lift tickets throughout the state. They are worth the price of the books over and over.

5. Ibuprofen (reduces soreness and inflammation)in the morning and at night can help alleviate soremess. You will use muscles you never knew you had.

What am I forgetting?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Head someplace warm instead? (As one who is not fond of cold or snow)
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Wear a ski helmet!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Avoid trees on the way down.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM

The most important part is the outfit. Look the part, then sit in the lodge and smile. It might help to lug the skis around the base a bit first, just to get that rosey glow.

Has anyone else seen the new Bridget Jones? I love that "dismount!" But have to admit, it has been a terrifying fear ever since learning to ski in the Alps. They actually have nets there to catch you if you don't disengage in time! Otherwise, you'd go like down like Beauregard Burnside...

And I do agree with Amwosu's tips # 3 & # 5!

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Invest in ski goggles, especially if you wear contact lenses - you don't want your eyeballs to freeze over

Also, depending on the temperature, silk undergarments for warmth without the bulk or wicking shirts to absorb perspiration on milder days.

....and wear a ski helmet!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM

"avoiding alcohol for a couple of days prior to flying/driving to altitude and for several more days after arriving."

amwosu,
I hope you didn't plan on a career as marketing director for the American Ski industry!

From my experience being around inexperienced skiers, the most important tip they can get is to learn how to ski in control. Learning how to avoid someone , or at least learning how to fall if you are about to plow into someone who is trying to get up, will help avoid needless injuries. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone get wiped and in some cases get really hurt, by an out of control beginner.

Most experienced skiers can appreciate the challenge of someone who is just learning and will be understanding if you say you need a little space getting on and off the lift. In order to endear yourself to experienced skiers, definately be mindful of skiing onto the back of their skis as you're moving in the lift line.

Learning how to get on and off the lift, with the object being to get off as I've seen people a few times go right past the exit ramp (and yes, everyone will laugh), will definately make for a more enjoyable outing.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:24 PM

May I add a few suggestions?

1. Yield to Santa's sleigh.
2. Don't ski into the North Pole. It hurts.
3. The Northern Lights are a tremendous distraction to night skiiers. Be cautious at these times.
4. Never attempt to ski behind reindeer after they've had some of Mrs. Claus' chili.
5. An ice bath is better for sore muscles than a hot tub. (Men's momentary unpopularity with the ladies upon exiting is soon erased.)
7. Wear a hydrapak and rehydrate yourself all day. Replace lost electrolytes and potassium.
8. Stretch and warm up before you are exposed to cold air.
8. Wear sunscreen -even in overcast conditions- if you will have exposed skin.
10. Don't eat snow that isn't white.

--- Santa Claus
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:42 PM

LOL Santa! Bravo!!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Well, at least use that alcohol
on the inside of those ski goggles
to keep them from fogging-
I spent fortunes on anti-fog
sprays/gels/etc. and found those
little bottles of schnapps to be
the ticket!
Ryan's correct about that control-
On a trip to Keystone years ago,
I was trying so hard to avoid
my best freind that I skied into a snowmaking machine-
yes,you can laugh....
R5
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Santa, baby! LOL

ooooh! R5

don't forget.... C
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Ryan on please try to avoid other people! Also, getting off the lift while snowboarders are on it is a definite challenge! Last time I skied, 15 years ago, there were no snowboarders! Last year, I was on a lift with about 4 or 5 people.(It was wide), the snowboarders jump off. Well, this makes you fall flat on your face if you don't anticipate the bounce! Needless to say, my husband and I both fell a few times that day off the lift!! Our kids just jumped off with the snowboarders "like no big deal Mom!"
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM

In addition to avoiding alcohol, we also avoid caffeine for the first two days. It is my understanding that altitude tends to be dehydrating, as are alcohol and caffeine, so it's best not to do too many dehydrating things at the same time.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 04:23 AM

Ouch, R5!
Our son did that once when learning, but just stopped and did not continue to get out of it. By the time my husband got to him and pulled him out of the spray, all of 90 seconds later, he looked like the abominable snowman. Although funny in retrospect, it was really scary at the time. It wouldn't take long for someone to get buried by one of those things!
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 06:05 AM
JJ5

If you are average midwest skier over 55 yrs or so and in the Alps or Rockies for the first time, do all of the above-get a great ski outfit especially, and then after your first few couple of broken bones and torn knee ligaments from snowboarders and young guys skiing over you- find a great place in the spa or by the fireside. Another big perk, you do not not have to worry about caffeine or alcohol intake.

Also biggest tip of all and never mentioned and NOT just for newbies. YOU MUST have your health insurance cards handy at all times for all members of the group. I am now designated HOSPITAL run and logistics person. Last year I had to get a 55 year old with a triple compound broken leg to her state of original after surgery in Colorado. She did not have her insurance cards with her. You do not want to know about the costs she ended up incurring.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Don't use those skis your cousin Boopsy gave you 15 years ago just because the boots were a nice fit. Those Look-Nevada bindings might still look cool, but ...
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Good advice repete, bindings are adusted according to weight and height. No lying about your weight when it comes to bindings. Have your skis and bindings tuned and waxed every year.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Ouch Razzle!

My tips:
1.) You don't need to spend a fortune on ski clothes first time out.
2.) Dress in layers. Silk long underwear or polypropelene first.
3.) Invest in good pair of ski socks and gloves. Cold feet can ruin a good ski day.
4.) Wear a hat and/or helmet.
5.) Drink tons of water at high altitude and use sunscreen especially on ears, throat, and lip balm with spf.
6.) I always request a humidifier when I stay at Western Resorts for my bedside, I have trouble sleeping in the dry air. Most resorts/hotels have them available on request.
7.) Don't skip on meals and carry an energy bar with you.
8.) Get in the hot tub or a hot bath after a day on the slopes. It will help with your muscles.
9.) If you haven't already done so, start a conditioning program focusing on your quads, lower back and leg muscles. Try to stretch before and after hitting the slopes.

Above all have fun!

Old Dec 11th, 2004, 09:59 AM
GoTravel

Make sure your ski pants and jacket are waterproof, you have good warm gloves, a hat, scarf, and good goggles.

You will fall a lot as a new skier. Nothing will turn you off skiing more than being cold and wet.

One pair natural fiber socks. I prefer thick wool. Doubling up on socks can make your feet sweat which equals cold feet.

If you night ski, try and wear a mask that covers most of your face a long with your hat and scarf. Don't wear earings.

Take plenty of cotton and or silk turtlenecks.

amwosu is correct, if you don't bother to take lessons, you are wasting your money. Take lessons from a professional.

Old Dec 11th, 2004, 10:19 AM

I wouldn't receommend a scarf--the ends could get caught when you're getting off a lift.

I also wouldn't receommend cotton or silk Tnecks, but something that wicks moisture away from the skin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -