Hotel/Vineyard in Tuscany Region

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancé and I will be in the Tuscany region for 5 days during our honeymoon in early May. Does anyone know of any Vineyards that may have sleeping accommodations (hotel etc..)?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
DRJ

I have stayed at Fattoria Barbi, a few km. south of Montalcino. It was a tiny apartment and thay may have a half dozen apartments and rooms. It is a well respected producer of Brunello. There is a restaurant on the property also. I assume they have a website.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

I should have also added that I prefer white wine to red.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM

Almost all of the better Tuscan wine is unfortunately white. There is a very forgettable white Vernaccia made near San Gimignano. This agriturismo produces Vernaccia but it doesn't seem to have a restaurant:

http://www.sangimignano.com/poggiacolle/indexe.htm

Lungarotti, one of the largest wine producers in Umbria, makes white wine, has sleeping accommodations and an excellent restaurant, but only takes reservations for a full week, from Saturday to Saturday.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM

Correction: That should, of course, read that almost all the better Tuscan wine is unfortunately <b>red</b>.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM

Villa Vignamaggio (north of Castellin and south of Greve) is heavenly. Its a working vineyard with lovely accomodations and great service. Good restaurants in the area as well. Its special.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM

Try a google/yahoo search using the term agritourism. This is a HUGE segment of the tourism industry now in Tuscany. It involves agricultural (read vineyards) homes offering tourist accomodation and meals. The rule is that 80% of the food served must originate from the actual farm. This is very, very popular. Just for starts, try:
http://www.italiansrus.com/articles/...gritourism.htm
and
http://www.holidayfarm.net/en/toscana/index.htm
The latter site is really interesting as it will outline exactly what you will find on site.
Good luck!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM

Hi HMII,

Agree with the suggestion for Villa Vignamaggio. If you search here on that villa you will see lots of comments by those who have stayed there.

We enjoyed a small agriturismo in the heart of Chiant area, La Spinosa. Here's their website:
http://www.laspinosa.it/

Have fun!

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:23 AM

The Villa Vistarenni outside of Siena has a beautiful main villa - which may be too large for just the two of you - and also has smaller apts. on the grounds.
I went to a luncheon/wine tasting there as part of wedding festivities in 2004. The setting and views were spectacular, villa was beautiful and the food and wine were outstanding.
tuscany.net/vistarenni. Good luck.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM

A great many vineyards offer accommodation in Tuscany. For the Chianti Classico wine zone, look at the list on www.greve-in-chianti.com. As indicated in the other responses, there are few if any memorable white wines originating in Tuscany. So if you're eating out and need a white wine, I strongly recommend you ask if they have the slightly frizzante white wine imported in bulk from Veneto - this is commonly the white house wine, it's light in alcohol and extremely refreshing. The restaurant at the Casa del Popolo in Greve and the Ristorante Il Lago in the country near Dudda both serve it, to take but two examples.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM

Hi My husband and I stayed at Castello di Velona just outside Montalcino. It is a restored Castle and was incredible. We bid on 5 nights through luxurylinkused this as our base. It is not a winery but they make there own Olive Oil. Castello Banfi is 30 min drive away. There are several vineyards. around Montalcino you need to contact them in advance if you want tours as they don't give regular ones like in Napa/Sonoma