Bloomsbury or Belgravia???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2024, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in London for 4 nights in October. Last time I was in London I stayed in Bloomsbury area, near the British museum. I did not want to stay in the same place as I did last time, so found 'The Montague on the Gardens and thought it would be perfect. However, since then I have been going down the trip advisor rabbit hole and looking at the pics I am thinking this hotel is way too 'Downtown Abbey' for me.

So now I am wondering if I should change things up and reconsider the area to stay in. I love the look of The Lime Tree hotel, but I have never stayed in the Belgravia area. I have stayed in Kennsington, but that was ages ago.

I wil be on my own. I am leaving my husband in Paris. He is flying to Poland and I will be flying home to Melbourne from London. So will be arriving in London on the Eurostar from Paris, and needing to get to Gatwick airport. So both locations will be ok.

Not sure what my plans will be in London or what sight seeing I will be doing. Last time I was in London was 2016. I am a pretty fit 63 year old, and I just love the idea of walking and being in London.

Any advice on hotels and/or locations would be appreciated.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 06:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've not stayed at the Lime Tree but have walked past it literally dozens of times. It is a great location -- short walk to Victoria Station and only a bit longer to Sloan Square. Lots of nice restaurants and pubs on and near Ebury Street and around Sloane Sq. And it couldn't be easier for LGW because of the trains from Victoria.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Millie, I've had exactly the same situation. Solo trip this year, similar age (live in Brisbane) and have stayed in the Bloomsbury area a few times. It's so well located and I really like the look of the area - the architecture etc. You probably have a short list of what you want to be near - tube stations, cafes, supermarket, etc. I had a look at some areas where I've never stayed or only years ago so I don't remember it very well. Some areas didn't seem well located for transport which for me is crucial. Last year I had a wander around Belgravia, near Victoria station, and I wouldn't stay there. Hard to say why and of course everyone has different opinions. Other areas I've stayed briefly and wouldn't stay again are Pimlico and The City. One thing I really wanted was to be close to whichever transport I arrive on, and depart on. So lugging a case is less of an issue. I'm not sure if this is any help really but it helps the 'conversation'.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 07:50 PM

Just goes to show -- different strokes for different folks. I love staying in Pimlico and I find some parts of Belgravia to be really lovely.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

thanks KayF and Janisj..
I am really second guessing myself.
Kayf.. where did you stay in Bloomsbury???..Back in 2016 I stayed at Arosfa hotel. While OK, I wanted a bit more comfort this time.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 09:39 PM

I stayed at the Tavistock Hotel, the room was depressing with a view of the bins. Breakfast was good, lots of choice. Maybe if you paid a lot more for a nicer room, it would be OK.

Also Celtic Hotel, room was OK, old-fashioned, clean. Breakfast was to be avoided (for me anyway). Shower was complicated to figure out. No lift. Reception staff were friendly.

I've stayed at Studios2Let on Cartwright Gardens. The room was fine, small but you expect that. It had a tiny kitchen and a window you could open for fresh air which I always like. I think there was another place we stayed but I can't remember where. https://serviced.studios2let.com/

I stumbled on a nice looking pub with four rooms upstairs and it was quite appealing but I couldn't get my dates. It's Harrison Pub and Hotel, if you walked from the Waitrose at Brunswick Square up towards Kings Cross, you'd walk past it.

There are some hotels I would really love to stay but I can't bring myself to pay that much for just "a bed and a shower" as my husband used to say.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 10:18 PM

I really like the location of the Lime Tree Hotel. It's on a lovely street, lots of restaurants nearby and good transport options from Victoria. Bloomsbury is good too, but that Belgravia street has more of a residential feel, I think. I would happily stay there on my own.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

thank Tulips... I actually have both booked at the moment. I hate doing this, but I am a bit confused.

Kay.. I stayed at the Tavistock hotel the first time I visited London.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 02:09 AM

It might help to figure out which hotel is best located for the things you are likely to do. Shopping, theatre, museums, galleries, guided walks, the Tower, London Eye, Greenwich, etc. Have a look at a map of London and see if one location makes more sense. Even though London has great public transport, I think it can take longer than expected to get where you're going. Being close to a couple of different tube lines is good if possible, in case of maintenance works, delays, etc.

And Millie, I'm curious which airline you are flying with? To use Gatwick for an Australian flight is unusual.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 07:47 AM

Ebury Street is very convenient - Victoria Station is a major hub. Its not on the Piccadilly line like the Bloomsbury area stations are is so many will think its inconvenient from LHR. But Piccadilly line, to the easiest ever transfer at Hammersmith - literally a 30 foot walk across the same platform - and District line to Victoria. It is actually faster to Victoria than Piccadilly line to say Russell Square.

Both areas are very central/convenient locations - one really isn't nearer more sites that the other. More bus routes and Tube lines do pass through Victoria.

Old Feb 16th, 2024, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

KayF, I am flying Emirates. They have flights out of both Gatwick and Heathrow. The Gatwick flight out was cheaper which is why I took this option.

thanks Janisj... Victoria station has the Gatwick express which will get me to the airport and I could walk from the hotel.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 12:55 PM

We’ve stayed at the very lively Hoxton Holborn for a few years but moved over on our last trip to Convent Garden and to the more sedate but very nice Raddison Blu Mercer street. I loved the location-very close to my favorite restaurants and close to some good museums and plays. I sent this earlier but I put a link in it which perhaps I’m not supposed to…
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by millie2112
KayF, I am flying Emirates. They have flights out of both Gatwick and Heathrow. The Gatwick flight out was cheaper which is why I took this option.

thanks Janisj... Victoria station has the Gatwick express which will get me to the airport and I could walk from the hotel.
No need for the GEX -- the regular less expensive trains from Victoria only take about 5 or 6 minutes longer. The main advantage for the GEX used to be just walking onboard and being able to purchase tix from the conductor on the train. That is no longer an option so just take any ole train between Victoria and Gatwick.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks janisj. ..great tip. I will research this.

thanks macdogmom.. Radison looks lovely, but way over my budget. the Australian dollar is pretty awful

last time I was in London 2016 I stayed at Arosfa near Goodge st tube. It suited me well, but I was hoping for something a bit more comfortable. my single room was super tiny.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 05:34 PM

Like I said i've not stayed there but the Lime Tree (at least from the outside) looks lovey and it does get great reviews. Another quirkier place in the same block on the other side of the road is this one https://www.bb-belgravia.com It is in two buildings one door apart with the breakfast room and residents lounge in one of the bldgs. It is VERY popular and does often book up far in advance but might be cheaper than the Lime Tree (not sure - it used to be a bargain option but like I said it has become very popular. It used to (mid teens) have rooms in several price ranges.
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 12:32 AM

Premier Inn?

I usually stay at Premier Inn in Victoria. Being central London it isn’t cheap, but better than most hotels. I really like the handy location of this one and you know exactly what you’ll get at Premier Inns.