Search

Bloomsbury

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:37 PM
chris

Bloomsbury

<BR>After conducting multiple searches on this forum, I have decided to stay in the Bloomsbury section of London due to the following reasons (in no order):<BR><BR>Safety, good hotel value, quiet, has a local neighborhood feel to it, not too far (via tube) to other major points of interest.<BR><BR>We are not interested in staying up & partying all night. Mainly looking for that quiet neighborhood. Much like that part of Paris near Rue Cler.<BR><BR>Am I wrong about any of these points??

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Ben Haines

I am afraid I disagree on some points<BR><BR>Safety. True, but all hotel areas of London are safe. If they were not, hotels there would close for lack of custom.<BR><BR>good hotel value. I am afraid I do not know<BR><BR>quiet. Yes, but not if you are facing a bus route. <BR><BR>has a local neighborhood feel to it. Sorry: not at all. It is international and anonymous, a main centre for hotels and for the university. For a neighbourhood feel you need to go right out to Richmond, Hampstead, Greenwich and other villages swallowed by London.<BR><BR>not too far (via tube) to other major points of interest. Not too far, but most points of interest are on the District and Circle lines, son you will need to change. Hotels at Victoria, Westminster, and the Strand stand on those lines.<BR><BR>We are not interested in staying up & partying all night. Fine. <BR><BR>Mainly looking for that quiet neighborhood. See comment above. Quiet enough, away from bus routes. Sorry I don't know Paris. <BR><BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR><BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:57 PM
jane

As a single female, I stayed in Bloomsbury last year on the advice of a friend who visited there often while teaching at the university. It was very safe, reasonably quiet (depending on the location of your B and B) and definitely had a neighborhood feel about it. I felt very comfortable walking back to my hotel from the tube after attending a show late at night. It's not exactly a colorful or romantic area, but very calm and practical. There are a reasonable number of restaurants and pubs and you really can't go wrong with the convenience of the tube. Don't worry - it's a pretty safe bet.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Kendra

Chris,<BR>I stayed in Bloomsbury about 7 years ago and really liked the neighborhood. We stayed at the Thanet hotel, which was reasonably priced and close to the Tube.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Kathleen

Stayed in Bloomsbury last January. I picked the hotel location because of it's proximity to the British Museum. Unfortunately my hotel was on a bus route, and I had a ground floor, front room~didn't sleep too well! And it turned out to be quite a hike to the tube station. Quiet at night, but not really neighborhood feel....

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Joe

We've stayed at the Harlingford on Cartright Gardens, Bloomsbury, three time, most recently in September. We like the neighborhood, and the hotel is nice and has reasonably good rates. This part of Bloomsbury and Rue Cler are something alike in that they both have a very strong local feel. There are also some good and inexpenisive restaurants close by: the North Sea Fish Restaurant and La Bardigiana are two that I've tried. As for safety, I didn't feel there were any problems,although I did see a few street people and two were sleeping in doorways. This isn't unusal in big cities, sadly, but if you're nervous around the homeless it may be a problem for you.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:26 PM
chris

<BR>Thanks for the replies.<BR><BR>I will be sure to find a room that is not on a bus route. Quietness is a key. <BR><BR>Thanks Ben for your response. I know that you are one of the London "experts". Even if it doesn't have that neighborhood feel, if it is quiet at night, I think we will enjoy it. I liked Jane's comment of "calm & practical". As for the homeless, we won't be turned off...we have our share of homeless here in Dallas area.<BR><BR>I checked the Harlingford (sp?) (before I saw Joe's post) this morning & they do have a room for when we will be there. Glad to see that it was recommended once again.<BR><BR>chris

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Maira

I stayed in the Bloomsbury section on my first visit to London. I picked it because of its proximity to the British Museum and it was an OK neighborhood, safe, many good value hotels nearby. Whatever you do avoid The Londsdale Hotel (off Bedford Street); rudest management, dirty, no elevator, just awful. Rusell Square was the closest metro (if I recalled correctly). <BR><BR>Last Feb we stayed at the Victoria Inn, off Belgrave Road. About 7-10 minute walk to Victoria Station (express line with Gatwick Airport and also departing point for lots of tour companies), much more of a neighborhood, some good restaurants nearby, safe and quiet, about a mile from Buckingham Palace (fun, leisure walk). The Victoria Inn was about $90/double, breakfast included.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:33 PM
kay

I have stayed in Bloomsbury during my 3 visits to London and would do so again. Its pretty central to the things of interest such as the National Gallery, theatres, British Museum and bookstores galore and places to eat. We stayed at the Ridgemount and the Arosfa on Gower Street, a busy street but a room in the back was quite fine for us. Arosfa was immaculate and got you going with a good breakfast (part of the price). I would stay there again. You won't regret Bloomsbury.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Q.P.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by a "neighborhood feel." Ben Haines (who knows more about London than the rest of us put together) is quite right that there's no real "neighborhood" in Bloomsbury in the sense of a place where families live. Bloomsbury is, as he says, institutional: all students and all tourists, all the time, or seems that way. The "feel" you get is therefore a campus-like, restless, polyglot feel. Coming from a university environment, I'm pretty comfortable with that, and have stayed there often enough while using the British Library that it has now become even more comfortable from being so familiar. Many of the B&Bs (and dorms, too, in the summer) are an excellent bargain, there are plenty of restaurants, and it's fairly easy to get to other places on foot or by Tube.<BR> But though I often recommend Bloomsbury to friends, there's certainly a good case to be made for staying nearer the main tourist sights. Quiet? Not particularly (lot of traffic, pubs nearby) and remember that you'll need to keep your windows open for the breeze during the summer. And the Russell Square tube station can be a bit of a nightmare--extremely crowded with tourists. In short, it's a perfectly fine area to stay in, but don't let the glowing remarks in the forum archives (by people like me) keep you from exploring other possible areas that might either have the true neighborhood feel you like or are nearer the things you want to see and do.<BR><BR>Q.P.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Q.P.

I forgot to add, but Kay's post reminded me: when booking at one of the Bloomsbury B&Bs, *always* ask for a room at the back (or "on the garden"), and as close to the ground floor as possible. This will make your stay as quiet and non-strenuous (lifts are a rarity) as possible.<BR><BR>Q. P.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Sue

I go to London frequently, and always stay in the Bloomsbury area. I stay at Bloom's Hotel, which is a small, boutique hotel, and very lovely, near the British Museum. I find the area convenient, and the proximity to 3 tube stations is great. The Piccadilly line, direct from Heathrow, goes to Russell Square, so I take it and have only a short walk to the hotel. As far as having a "neighborhood" feel, I'm not so sure about that; but doesn't seem as touristy as some other parts of London.<BR>It's not really like the Rue Cler area of Paris, which really is more of a neighborhood. But it's still my favorite place to stay in London (since I can't afford Mayfair!)

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:07 AM
georgia

You may want to consider the South Kensington area, too. It is quieter and has more of a neighborhood feel, while still having many shops, bakeries, restaurants, etc. It is considered the "french quarter" of London, so is probably more like the Rue Cler area.