Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

blacklight theater and marrionette plays in prague, book ahead?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, what be the favorite choice? marrionettes or black light theater? should we reserve ahead? what are the websites for reserving these plays? thanks in advance PJ
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM

I saw one blacklight show and wasn't all that impressed. The lights were neat, but there was a "mad scientist" theme going that was just drawn out and silly.

But we LOVED the performance of the marrionettes doing Don Giovanni.

We went to the theatres the day of the shows and bought our tickets getting good seats for both.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:16 AM

I'm in Prague at the moment and I'm planning on seeing the Blacklight show. The concierge at the Prague Hilton told me that it's NEVER a problem with tickets. He also explained the differences to me. There are ~5 of these theaters, so don't assume they are all the same. Only one, the original one, called "the Laterna Magika" is located in a full size theater, the others are in very small, think "comedy" clubs type of lounges. Also, they all have different shows on different nights. For example, Laterna Magika has the following:

Casanova
Wonderful Circus
Rendez-vous
Graffiti

Each of these theaters does the same thing, so I suggest you wait until you arrive and make your decision based on which show you want to see.

btw, beautiful, sunny, warm, spring weather in Prague at the moment. I shipped some of my heavy winter stuff back home today.....
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Marrioettes performing Don Giovanni. Just buy tickets the day of performance - even a few hours ahead will be fine. The venue is on the main street leading from Old Town Square to the Charles Bridge so you will likely pass by it a dozen times over the course of your visit.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM

A couple of years back we went to a show called "cats in Prague" - nothing to do with Andrew Lloyd Webber! It was a tiny theatre off the road between Charles Bridge od the Old Town Square. Not very well hidden people in black had cat hand puppets that danced over rooftops - the music reminded me of Pinky and Perky (if anyone remembers them!). An experience, but not a particularly good one.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:33 AM

I reccommend the WOW experience near the Powder Tower. I think Priopke street.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I always go to see those puppet operas wherever they are performed in Europe. I have also seen the Salzburg marionnettes when they came to the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. I recommend that everyone see one of those. Even if you are not an opera fan, you will be astonished.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

thank you everyone, I will be in Prague March 24th through march 29th so I hope the good weather holds out!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Here's the website, but again, you don't need to order beforehand. Wait until you arrive.

http://www.mozart.cz/gb/giovanni_gb.html