Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Black Forest vacation - is this a good plan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 4 persons 60 + who want to make a relaxing holiday in the Black Forest, in October. We want to enjoy the beautiful scenery, to visit some castles, some towns and picturesque villages, to go slowly, without hurry and enjoy every moment.
As many sites can be easily reached by train, we shall rent a car for only one week when we visit places not so easy accessible by train.

We shall stay in Offenburg.
Our plan is as follows:

Day 1: Arrive Offenburg by train, from Frankfurt. See Offenburg
Day 2: by train to Strasbourg
Day 3: Take car for 7 days. Sigmaringen castle and Rottweil
Day 4: Ludwigsburg palace and Pumpkin festival - by car
Day 5 : Hohenzollern castle - by car
Day 6: Glatt castle, Tubingen, Esslingen - by car
Day 7: Colmar - by car
Day 8: Baden-Baden, Maulbronn ,Lauffen, Besigheim - by car
Day 9: Hausach, Triberg, Titisee - by car
Day 10: Konstanz - train ; we do not go to Meersburg and other places around lake, as we saw them in another trip.
Day 11: Freiburg - train
Day 12: Heidelberg - train
Day 13: Gengenbach, Lahr - Chrisantemum festival - train
Day 14 - Lahr , in the evening go to Frankfurt to return home

Is it a good plan? Please comment / advise.
Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM

On a high level this is a good plan - using a car in the BF and trains elsewhere - but I think you have seriously underestimated the distances and driving times for your day trips.

Day 3, for example, is at least 5 hours of driving.
Day 4 is 3 hours
Day 5 is 4 hours.
Day 6 is 4.5 hours
Day 7 is 2.5 hours
Day 8 is 4 hours
Day 9 is 3 hours

That is over 26 hours of driving over 7 consecutive days - no day "off".

Even one train day, Day 10, is quite long; Offenburg - Konstanz is 2:17 each way.

This plan is not consistent with "to go slowly, without hurry" and I can't imagine it being relaxing.

It looks like you might be trying to maximize the use of the car for the week you have it and/or that you are presuming that travel times in the BF are related to their distance (90km = 1 hour driving). Well, road travel in the BF is significantly slower - you will probably average 50-60 km per hour on most of your planned trips. You are crossing the entire area from east to west several days and that involves a series of "mountain" climbs and descents that can be very slow.

I think you need to accept that;

you can't go as far as you are planning on each day with the car,
you have to let the car idle for a day or two of your 7 days with it, or
you should spend your vacation in 2 different locations

There are endless suggestions that I could make for cutting things out and realigning your stays, but I don't know what is most important to you to keep.

Basing yourselves on the east side of the BF, in Tubingen, perhaps, for a week. That gives you access to Esslingen, Sigmaringen, Ludwigsburg, Hohenzollern Castle, Rottweil, etc. (all about an hour away). None of them are "in the BF anyway. There are many other very nice places around the Neckar River Valley that this would open up for visiting.

Dropping Konstanz also comes to mind but at least you would be taking the train there, which is more relaxing.

You could also base yourselves in or around Freiburg so that access to Colmar and Titisee is better and this would open up the Alsace region for easy day trips if you dropped the Neckar area as a result.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Your itinerary has a lot of backtracking and ineffeciences in it. For example, on Day 7, you go to Colmar, then up to Baden-Baden, then down to Freiburg, then back up to Heidelberg.

I'd suggest that the first day you stop at Baden-Baden and do the sights around there first. Then go to Gengenbach, which is right on the rail line and which you could use as a base for the "middle" Black Forest sights. Then perhaps to Freiburg, which is also right on the rail line and which you could use as a base for the "southern" BF sights. Then go to Colmar, hit the Route du Vin on the way to Strasbourg, do Strasbourg, then finish in Heidelberg, which is only about an hour from Frankfurt.

Do you know about the Black Forest scenic rail line from Offenburg into the BF, or the Hell's Valley line from Freiburg to Titisee?

Having just planned a similar trip for September, I encourage you to start looking soon for lodging, as I found that many hotels are booked up already for September.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 08:17 AM

"We are 4 persons 60 + who want to make a relaxing holiday..."

Your itinerary is not at all my definition of relaxing holiday. I just skimmed your it and agree that you'll spend way to much time on the road. For example, Friburg is a beautiful city and IMHO it'd be well worth lingering around there for a few days, as Aramis suggested above.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank to all of you for advices.

Tom, we already booked the hotel, we shall stay all the time in one place - Offenburg and make from there day trips, by train or car.

Three of us already visited Strassbourg, Freiburg, Colmar and Heidelberg, so now, I think that one day in each is enough just to view again the most beautiful and interesting places.

I consider this plan as a relaxing vacation, as it does not include big cities where you have to walk a lot, to visit many museums and to run to be able to be in time to see different sites which will close soon.
Also, the trip includes many small towns and this for us is relaxing.

I am worry about long drives, as Aramis said , for days 3,5,6,8. However, we are sure that we have to see what we planed for days 3 and 5.
Regarding days 6 and 8 , they includes small towns which will not too much time to visit. Can you please tell me, between Tubingen, Esslingen Maulbronn ,Lauffen, Besigheim which is the most beautiful and interesting and which less? Maybe if I'll delete some of them from the list will be better?
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Do you know that Sigmaringen and Hohenzollern Castle are only 1 hour apart?

Seeing them on different days is really what makes those two days so long. If they are must sees for you it might make sense to leave early and do them both in one day. That day, including Rottweil, if you wish, would have a little over 5 hours driving.

You could drop one rental day (Day 3) and add the destinations to Day 5. That would at least let you slow down one one more day.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Aramis, I think that it will be difficult to visit two castles and one town in one day. I ma not sure, but I remember that some castles can be visited only by guided tours so we have to make sure that we are there at the time when tour starts. Having to drive a long way it will make this difficult.

I am thinking to change a little the days 6 and 8:

Thank you for advice.
I also think that days 6 and 8 are too full and maybe we shall change them as follows:

- do not go at all at Glatt castle, Tubingen, Esslingen

Instead,it will be:
day 6: Maulbronn ,Lauffen, Besigheim
Day 8: Baden-Baden and Mummelsee

I hope that this will make easier these two full days.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM

You bring back great memories. I was stationed in Ludwigsburg with the US Army in 1970. The castle and town of Ludwigsburg is basically a suburb of north of Stuttgart. I love that castle!

One poster is correct. My wife and I did a leisurely drive one Sunday and visited Sigmarigen (great armor collection) and Hohenzolern in one day. They are very close.

We return to Germany frequently. I am in my 60s. We always just get a car and do our own thing. It makes it easier on bags and flexibility. No schedule to hit. The area you are going to is easy to drive....with exception of Stuttgart traffic. I would not hassle with the train system.

Heidelberg: The castle is still there. Nice tour and great old town. It was our first stop when my wife joined me in 1970 and our last outing to see the fireworks when we had to go home to the real world in 1971.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Traveldawg, I am smiling now when I imagine you having so nice memories!

Yes, based on the good advices received here, we decided to visit both Sigmarigen and Hohenzollern castles in the same day.

We visited Heidelberg in 1995, but our friends not, so we shall go there together. We do not plan to enter Stuttgart at all.
As we shall be in Germany in the middle of October, I am a little bit worry about the weather, but only about rain, not about temperature. However, I read that in October there are not so many precipitations like in other months, so we hope to be OK.