Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Black Forest itinerary please !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2016, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Me and my husband with our two children 15 and 13 years old are heading to Black Forest area on 25th of October. We will arrive at Frankfurt airport from Berlin (by train) to receive our rented car then to our pre-booked farm house in a village near Linden (some where in the east of the forest).
We will stay 5 nights and this is our primary itinerary. I need your expert suggestions of any modifications. We don't plan to hiking or dining but only to getting around to picturesque places, beautiful nature, culture and history. We are also able to go to a lot of places in one day and love walking and not get tired quickly.

25 October: Frankfurt airport (13:30 pm) to the farmhouse in Tennenbronn Schramberg (3 hours drive) then walking in the area around the house in the forest.

26 October: driving in the early morning to Triberger falls then to Titisee lake then to Todtnau falls and the roller coaster and may be the cable cars.

27 October: driving in the early morning to Colmar (France) then to Strasburg.

28 October driving to Europpark (for my kids).

29 October, I am not decided yet to drive to Interlaken in Switzerland (3 hours drive) because I had been there before and my kids are not, they would love to see the high range mountains of the Alps. We can start the journey at 6 am arrive at 9 am then leave at 4 or 5 pm (sunset in this area is around 5pm), we may be able to pass by the Rhine falls.
Or to go to Baden-Baden but if it is similar to Strasburg or Colmar they will be enough.

I heard also of the open air museum I don't know where is it and on which day can be done. I would like also to see the coco clock making and may be a castle or something.

I want also to ask about two things
1-parking fees at the Europpark
2-weather in late October

I would appreciate all your comments and thanks in advance, I always relied on your suggestions in all my previous trips.
Old Aug 1st, 2016, 02:44 AM

I live in the Black Forest, so I can answer many of your questions.

- Parking fee at Europapark is € 5.00 per day.

- I am afraid that weather usually deteriorates by end of October. Be prepared for everything, including heavy rains, fog, strong winds and cool temperatures. But maybe you will be lucky and get some mild and sunny days. You never know.

- If you want to see a castle, you may stop in Heidelberg on your drive from Frankfurt to Tennenbronn or, maybe better, take the route via Stuttgart (recommendable anyway) and take a little detour to Hohenzollern Castle: http://www.burg-hohenzollern.com/startpage.html

Hohenzollern Castle is about an hour driving time from Tennenbronn.

- Also, between Colmar and Strasbourg, you find the Haut Koenigsbourg, but it will be a full day, so I doubt if it is wise to pack another attraction into this day. http://www.haut-koenigsbourg.fr/en/

- There are several Cuckoo Clock shops in Triberg where you want to go anyway. Be prepared to find large advertising in Chinese, Russian and Arabic, but the selection of clocks is amazing.

- You probably mean the open-air museum Vogtsbauernhof. You may visit this one when you are en route to/from Europapark. http://en.vogtsbauernhof.de/

- Driving into the Alps makes sense only if the weather cooperates. By end of October, chances are 80 per cent that the mountains will be in clouds and you see nothing. So, check the weather forecasts and have a plan b.

- Baden-Baden is different from Colmar and Strasbourg. I personally do not like it too much and would not recommend it unless you want to spend several hours in one of the fantastic spas there:

http://www.baden-baden.de/en/health-...caracalla-spa/

- For a different spa experience (smaller, more typical for the Black Forest), I recommend this one:

http://www.radonrevitalbad.de/

The village of Menzenschwand is one of the most beautiful and authentic Black Forest villages anyway. There is also a deer park, another (little) waterfall and many scenic hiking trails (the best one starts at the waterfall and leads to the "Kluse" with glacial moraines, a creek and a little lake - the basic loop is 4km, but there is a map showing additional trails).

- For poor weather, you might consider these options:

- Visiting a glass blowery (there is one in Wolfach and one in Alpirsbach, see here: http://www.schwarzwald.com/besichtig...blaeserei.html)

- Visiting a monastery. Sankt Peter is very beautiful, Sankt Blasien even better (but maybe a little far from your place).

- The clock museum in Furtwangen.

- The Hüsli, a most beautiful farmhouse & museum in Rothaus, with a nearby brewery (recommendable for lunch) and two neat little chapels in the fields and in the forest.

http://www.baden-baden.de/en/health-...an-irish-bath/
Old Aug 1st, 2016, 05:55 AM

Excellent advice from traveller1959.

I think that trying to visit Colmar and Strasbourg in one day is too much. Strasbourg would make a great day trip on its own. Alternatively, you could visit Colmar and some of the villages along the Route du Vin--Riquewihr, Kaysersberg and the like. The crowds should have diminished considerably by then.

If you don't want to take the time to visit Alsace, Freiburg is a city well worth seeing, and somewhat closer to where you will be staying. You could take a circular route there and back covering some of the prettiest parts of the Black Forest.

I agree with traveller1959 on Baden-Baden, and also on attempting a visit to the Swiss Alps.

One word of caution. Even though you have said you can get to many places in one day, your travelling times may well be longer than you first think. You will also be tempted to make more stops along the way whether to take in the scenery or to make a quick visit to some of the many interesting towns and villages on your route.
Old Aug 1st, 2016, 12:46 PM

A comment on laverendrye:

Somehow, the American guidebooks to Europe are focusing on cities and neglecting the spaces in between. Colmar IS a beautiful city with a charming old town and excellent museums and so is Strasbourg. But the main charme of Alsace lies in the tiny wine villages around and between the cities. Riquewihr, Eguisheim, Turckheim, Ottrott, Boersch etc. are all lovely little villages.

Technically you can "do" (as the Americans say) Alsace in one day, if you are very disciplined. You start in Colmar, limit your time in Colmar to two hours, drive three hours through the villages, and stay three hours in Strasbourg.

If I recall, I have spent probably more than 50 days of my life in Alsace, and I still have the feeling I have only seen a fraction.

Not to speak of Black Forest (a region which is much larger than Alsace). I live in the Black Forest and still, I have not seen everything, and I still discover new things each weekend. And THERE ARE NEW THINGS, like art performances which have not been before or restored historic trains which are running since last year or new museums etc. Maybe a different attitude to travelling.
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all the replies I definitely will modify according to the suggestions

I am afraid now of the weather is it so bad that we will not enjoy the trip ?