Bistrot du Paradou

Apr 24th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Bistrot du Paradou

I am going to be staying in Villefranche-sur-Mer in october and want to show my travel companions the beautiful Alpilles. I want to take them to the Bistrot du Paradou to dine. I only find information that they serve dinner in the summer only, ending sometime in Sept. We will be there in Oct. Can anyone answer that question and IF only open for lunch in Oct. do they still do the Friday Aioli feast??

I have our overnight reservation taken care of..but also trying to decide which would be best..IF it is lunch at the "Bistrot" should we then go to Les Baux or wait til am when they first open? We would do other sight seeing after lunch if we put Les Baux off til am. I think we may drive back via Cassis.

I welcome any input to this....
Apr 24th, 2004, 02:48 PM

The 2004 Michelin Guide states that the Bistrot du Paradou is open for dinner only from July through September; so that should mean it's open for dinner the rest of the year as well, but not for lunch. The restaurant is closed from November 1st through the 18th, all of February, and every Sunday. Phew!
Apr 24th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Strange that it says that....in so many articles..reputable articles..it keeps saying that it only serves dinner thru the end of Sept. as the latest....soooo still not sure.
Apr 24th, 2004, 02:55 PM

we had lunch in September and August. We stop there every year, rarely for dinner.
Apr 24th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Clearly the specifications in the Michelin Guide are open to interpretation! I'm going to ask our French friends how they would read the entry: dinner available ONLY in July and August or ONLY DINNER available in July and August. But Cigale seems to know, while our lunch there was at the end of May--not during the summer. The restaurant does seem to thrive on ambiguity, I must say.
Apr 24th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

I have faxed them!! We may have to updaaate our Michelin Red Guides!!
Apr 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM

In a trip report, (I think it was Uh-Oh Busted) she stated that it was closed for dinner when they were in area in May, so they had lunch there instead. I will be in Provence in a couple of weeks, and hope to have lunch there.
Apr 24th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Sue4

Will you please ask them when you are there if they will be open for both lunch and dinner in October...or which it is???

Enjoy your trip.......
Apr 24th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Yes - when we were there last May, they were only open for lunch, and I was told they wouldn't be open for dinner until June. Since that differs from the guide book, I suppose it would be best for someone to find out specifically if they are open for dinner or lunch in October.
Apr 25th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I have the answer!!

Christine Theme of Riboto de Taven responded as follows to my query:

The Bistrot du Paradou is opened for lunch every day except on Sunday. They serve dinner from June 1st to September 30th, 2004 except on Sunday evening.

Apr 25th, 2004, 07:50 AM

that's a lovely couple who own the Riboto. On our lists of favorites.
Apr 25th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes, about Riboto de Taven. Nice, nice people. I "discovered" it quite a few years ago before they gave up their Michelin star to become more involved in the hotel business, rather than the restaurant business. I have had some great dining there! We will be staying there for the one night to the Alpilles from our apartment in Villefranche-sur-Mer..it is spectacular!!
Apr 25th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Underhill has mentioned that it is surprising how difficult it is to find even though it is on a main road...hmmm..can someone enlighten me on this???
Apr 25th, 2004, 01:20 PM

It's very easy to spot. When I first saw this place years ago when they were THE restantant in the area to serve great food, but were closed that day. We were staying at the Mas de L'aigret but we returned in the following years and have enjoyed our stay there.
Apr 25th, 2004, 06:16 PM

On that topic- would we need a reservation at Bistrot du Paradou in early July? Do they take reservations? Would love to eat there on our first night in St. Remy!
Apr 25th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Reservations are a must.
Apr 26th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

We really do have straight from the horses mouth now!!!!

I had a fx from Vincent this morning...In October they will open for LUNCH ONLY!!!

I had also heard from PBProvence about the Moulin de Greoux (what a lovely spot) and she also told me that the Bistrot adds the dinner during the summer months ONLY...ending the end of September....

RESERVATIONS A DEFINITE MUST DO!!