Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fine Dining Restaurants in Paris for lunch?

Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

My boyfriend and I will be going to Paris at the end of August. We would like to experience some of the fine dining that Paris has to offer without breaking the bank. One way we thought we could do this was by having lunch instead of dinner at some of the restaurants. Do you recommend doing this? Do you have any recommendation on where to go? Some choices we have so far are Jules Verne and Maison Blanche. I believe Taillevant and Tour d'Argent will be closed when we go. We would prefer someplace with a view.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:33 PM

Jules Vernes, Taillevant, and the Tour d'Argent are all great restaurants and serve wonderful food. Most of them have stars in the Michelin guide. One thing is that they are quite expensive, although it will be a memorable experience. I'm not quite sure whether the Tour D'Argent and Taillevant are closed in August, but a lot of restaurants and stores close in August.

There is one restaurant called Les Bouquinistes on the Quai Voltaire, I believe, in the 6th arrondissment. The food is very good and is less expensive than Jules Vernes (but still is a bit expensive). It's right on the river bank and has some nice views of the Seine.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM

August is tough, but towards the end of the month most of the restaurants are starting to reopen.

Tour d'Argent had the same menu for lunch as dinner when we were there, so that won't be much of a bargain.

Les Bookinists I would not call fine dining and definately not for a romantic meal. We were seated elbow to elbow with other tourists in a long banquette.

We had dinner at Maison Blanche, I liked, the DH hated it. Problem with the waiter, so I wouldn't go by that.

Our favorite lunch "fine dining" place is Le Pre Catalan in the Bois de Bologne. It has the most beautiful dining room I've ever seen. The setting is gorgeous, prices to match, but it's one of the few starred restaurants open for Sunday lunch. Take a taxi if you go.

I would fax Taillevent and see if they will be open by the time you go. That would definately be my first choice, but other than the dining room, there is no view.

I haven't been to Jules Verne but I'm sure you can find something about it on a search.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:53 PM

A beautiful place for lunch--and the food is very good as well--would be Les Ambassadeurs, at the Hôtel Crillon. Most hotel dining restaurants (and in France they are some of the best) remain open in August, and I am sure you would find Les Ambassadeurs to be a marvelous experience. The flower arrangments alone are worth the visit.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM

Jules Vernes has a great view (of course because it's on the Eiffel Tower), but is expensive and is very hard to get reservations. If you want to reserve a table, I would call now.
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:01 AM

If you want to have a good french cuisine experience without bankruptcy, I recommand the Gallopin, 40 rue Notre Dame des Victoires. It's ten minutes walk from the Opera. It's around 60 euros per person for a good diner, wine included.
Have a check on the www.viamichelin.com site. It's offering what they call the Bib Gourmand on their Guide Michelin restaurant section.

Otherwise, if you want to go to starred restaurant, go at lunch time but not the week-end. They generaly offering business lunch "at moderate price". My choices will be Le Gand Vefour (75 euros per person without the wine for lunch) and Apicius (80 euros same conditions). The last one is less known. It's a young chef who is rising ans his cuisine is

Take care with french restaurants. Wine, which can be excellent, are very expensive. It could represent half of the bill !!!

Enjoy your stay in Paris.
Aug 4th, 2005, 04:27 AM
ira

Hi lil,

Taillevent reopens on 30 Aug.

See http://www.taillevent.com/english/

Aug 4th, 2005, 04:56 AM

One of the most memorable dining experiences we have ever had was at Le Cinq in the Four Seasons George V. Since it is a "hotel" restaurant, I am certain it would be open.
Aug 4th, 2005, 05:04 AM

It's probably too late for the Jules Verne, but one plus is the private elevator which gets you up without waiting in line.

A less expensive alternative to Pre Catalan is Les Jardins de Bagatelle, terrace lunch in a beautiful setting, open seven days a week.

Regarding Gallopin, we much prefer Le Vaudeville, across the street from the Bourse.

One place to check for restaurant closures is www.eatinparis.com
Aug 4th, 2005, 05:23 AM

We lunched at Jules Verne last year and it was quite expensive, but we didn't have the fixed price menu, which I believe you have to ask for.

It's a great experience to go there and would echo the comments that you must reserve it now or you will have no chance of getting in.

Also been to the Crillon (although not for lunch) and would recommend that too, it's a beautiful hotel.
Aug 4th, 2005, 05:51 AM

I love Les Ambassadeurs as well, but another choice not yet mentioned in Ledoyen, a 3 star located in the 8th. Great food, under the direction of France's top woman chef, and legend has it this is where Napoleon first met Josephine...the prix fixe lunches are good value for money (in that bracket, anyway). While it is closed for much of August, it may be open the very end of the month.
If you want to completely escape the tourist crowd, you could try the two-star Relais d'Auteuil in a peaceful, charming part of the 16th. Significantly less expensive than the 3-stars and the more well-known centrally located 2-stars. Dinner there would cost about the same as lunch at the 3-stars listed above (you could also do lunch). I believe it's closed the first three weeks of August, but is open the last week. 33 (0) 1 46 51 09 54
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:59 AM

I believe that the female chef at Ledoyen, Ghislaine Arabien, left a while ago.
It is, or at least was, a gorgeous restaurant. Ditto Laserre, if that's open.

When I had lunch at Tour d'Argent the lunch prices were not as high as the dinner prices, but perhaps that has changed.
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:01 AM

also, LeDoyen has a lower-priced restaurant on the ground floor, Cercle Ledoyen. Same garden setting.
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Has anyone eaten at Le Meurice? Pim gives a big thumbs up on her food blog, but I recall reading a not so postive review in the Financial Times (some time last year?).

It has (had?) one Michelin star, but I'm not sure if it has two stars now.

I've only been to Le Cinq for lunch, and it was ok. I think that that was shortly after it gained its third *, and it was the cheapest 3*, and that's why I picked it (it was also open on a Sunday, which was the only time I could do it).

I've the feeling that prices must have gone up at Le Cinq.

I didn't think that it was really special though.

But the chef (Legendre) worked at Taillevent.

I thought about having dinner at Maison Blanche, but I decided that it was more than what I wanted to spend. I recall asking about it here and no one responded. It's right next to Theatre des Champs-Elysees (I was going to a recital there).

Supposedly the views are better than the food, but it's related to a 3-star restaurant in the S. of France (?). I'd have to Google to remember what the connections are.

Pim (on her blog) also raves about L'Atelier de Joel Robouchon, but it seems to have mixed reviews. There're some horrible ones. I tried to go for dinner once, and they wouldn't let me in.

Another restaurant that seems to come up -- L'Astrance. Again, I don't know it but recall seeing a few good reviews.

Aug 4th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I just realized that you're asking about end of August.

The Michelin red guide will list restaurants open in the month of August (I think) and those open during the weekends.

Further, there'll be usually a note as to when the restaurant closes for its annual vacation.

You may want to look at a copy to weed through all the choices that'll not be open during your visit.
Aug 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM

hi!
If you want to taste french cuisine without bankruptcy, try Le Gallopin, 40 rue Notre Dame des Victoires-75002. It's 10 mn walk from the Opera. Really good quality / price.

If you want a Michelin starred restaurant, go for lunch in the week. Restaurant are offering "business menu" wich can be affordable. I recommand le Grand Vefour (first menu at 75euros) or the Apicius (first menu at 80 euros). Don't forget to add the wine which could represant the same price.
Have a look at the www.viamichelin.com restaurant section where you can consult the Michelin Guide for free. You just need to sign.

Enjoy your meal in Paris.

alphonse
Aug 4th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Sorry

I have done the job twice. Try this website http://www.theeuropeangourmet.com/pa...plusgrands.htm

Alphonse
Aug 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Go over to bonjourparis.com and look at posts by Mike in restaurant reviews. He ate his way during May through Provence and Monte Carlo (including the 3* Ducasse restaurant there ), finishing up in Paris. Mike rated Le Meurice as the best meal of the trip.
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Alas, Lucas Carton has closed. That would have been #1. So my top choices would be Le Grand Vefour and Les Ambassadeurs, perhaps Alain Ducasses's restaurant at the Plaza Athenee.

I also would not consider Les Bookinistes fine dining.

A great choice that is elegant and refined but doesn't break the bank is Christian Constant's Le Violon d'Ingres - look at http://www.leviolondingres.com/eng_home.htm. They have a great menu - a tasting menu is available at lunch.