Bilbao-- specific question

May 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Bilbao-- specific question

Our cruise stops in Bilbao and one of the possible excursions is a visit to Getxo (a place unknown to me). Is this worth doing or should our time best be spent simply exploring Bilbao? (Not real interested in the museum except for the outside.) Thanks very much.
May 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Check out www.Maribelsguides.com for some really good information about the Bilbao area.
May 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM

I believe your ship will be docking in Getxo, which you'll find is one of the Basque countries and Spain’s, most upscale areas.

But don't shortchange Bilbao. It is quickly becoming a destination. The Old City is very interesting, but there have been a number of exciting changes in the area around the Guggenheim and along the Gran Via. Certain parts of Bilbao remind me of Paris, but it can stand up on it's own to any major metropolitan area in Europe, and offers some of the best cuisine around.

I second the recommendation to read Maribel's Guide to the País Vasco, which covers Bilbao.
May 18th, 2007, 01:56 AM

I love Bilbao's Casco Viejo, the Plaza Nueva and the Mercado on the Nervion river.
There's a Bus Vision that does a tour of Bilbao. We left the tour at la Begonia (Church) and went to have lunch at Artxnta.

As Robert2533 writes, your Cruise will probably dock in Getxo, so first you'll have to get to Bilbao.
May 19th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much-- very very helpful!
May 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Hi poss,
the ships dock at the marina harbour in Getxo.

If the weather is nice, you have beaches and a couple of promenades along some interesting houses. The old harbour in Algorta has some good traditional restaurants, as Karola.

You could get the metro and go on your own to Bilbao, itīs just a short walk from the docks. With fine weather, you can walk around Bilbao. Between the Old Town, the new promenade along the river and the shops, you will have plenty to do. Nevertheless, there is an extremely interesting Kiefer exhibition at the Guggenheim. Donīt dismiss it ...

Kind regards, Cova
May 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Canīt miss the www.puente-colgante.com (not a very good web page, though), it is very, very close to where you will dock and REALLY worth a visit (practically unique in the world).

In any case, follow the sound advice given by the other fodorites.
May 20th, 2007, 07:51 AM

The inside of the museum is every bit as interesting as the outside and it often contains wonderful exhibits.