Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

bike helmets in Europe--if you've been on a biking trip what did you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:17 AM
jane

Okay, I know all really serious cyclists in the US wouldn't be caught dead without a helmet. We'll be cycling in France--not as a means of reaching point to point but rather making day trips out from our lodging. We will be renting bikes (helmets not available)and riding 30 to 40K a day on rural roads. We will be out and about on bike trips about 60 to 70% of the days we are visiting. I certainly am not very contientious about wearing a helmet at home, so I am wondering about the advisability of dragging mine with me from home. I am trying to recall whether most Europeans wear helments or not. I'm thinking not. Even the safety part I'm not so sure of--Americans seem so overly cautious in all areas these what with all of our rules, regulations and governmental warnings. Opinions please.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:35 AM
beth

I've cycled in Europe. I've dragged my helmet with me from the US. More Europeans are wearing them now although they are generally not required by law. Someone on one of my trips took a horrible fall over his handlebars in Tuscany. Without the helmet, he would have been toast. BRING THE HELMET (I usually put mine in my suitcase and fill it with socks) The roads may be rough, drivers may be less than attentive. Why take the risk?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:37 AM
Myriam

I can only speak for Belgium where only cyclists, who do 100 or more km on the road, wear helmets. And many children as well. And our roads are mostly dangerous ...

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:28 AM
Martine

Myriam is right.There are not so many people in Europe who wear helmets, but if you would , nobody would think "how strange". So, if you feel more comfortable with helmet, bring it along.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:52 AM
Jan

About 60% wear them here. We see more every day. I guess the real question is: What are the consequences if I am dead or paralyzed b/c I was too vain/lazy/stupid to wear a helmet? Does anyone depend on me at home?<BR><BR>OK...rough answer, but valid.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:16 AM
amy

One company we biked with in France did not provide helmets (for them it was a personal hygience issue), so we lugged them. I attached them to our backpacks with little bungee cords so that we didn't lose packing space.<BR><BR>Lots of European bikers wear helmets. In four biking trips, we have never felt self-conscious in wearing them. <BR><BR>As to your decisions to wear or not to wear helmets, all I can say is that I live next door to two trauma neurosurgeons. Going without a helmet isn't possible after you hear about the brains they get to view when people decide to forego the headgear.<BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Sue

My sister, just a common-or-garden cyclist like the rest of us, just had a bike accident a week ago today. A guy opened the door of his parked car and clipped her pedal, bringing her down in a hard fall.<BR><BR>In the ambulance, they asked her what year it was. "1978", she said confidently. (By the time they reached the hospital, she was up to 2000....)<BR><BR>She sustained a concussion, and the attending physician pointed out she'd have had a lot worse if she hadn't been wearing a helmet. Jane, drag the darn thing with you.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:42 PM
clairobscur

Here in france usually people cycling on a regular basis tend to wear helmets while more casual ones usually don't. Of course, the former are better informed about the risks involved.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:48 PM
dr.k

People who don't wear helmets are about as smart as the people who still smoke cigarettes.