Between Munich and Salzburg?

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Between Munich and Salzburg?

Hi all, We are arriving a day earlier for our holiday but our first hotel Landhaus Appesbach at St. Wolfgang is not available that day. We will be landing in to Munich and will drive to St. Wolfgang and need a either a very special hotel for a night or a decent charming hotel but in a nice town/village, on the way to St. Wolfgang. Since it is just for an evening /night we don't wnat to take too much of a detour. We will land in Munich at 12.30 pm and will drive off from the airport. Don't want to stay in Munich since we will not have enough time to do justice to the city and may just spend too much time driving in and out of the city. Ideally, looking for a charming place in a nice village en route. We would all be tired - will be travelling from NYC to London (transit) and then to Munich. Our budget is USD 200-250 per night and we are a family of 4 (2 kids - 6 and 2 years). We need a large double or a suite.

Many thanks for your replies.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I'd look for something in Prien giving you the opportunity to take in Ludwig's castle on chiemsee. Sorry I don't know anything specific. Just do a google search or search here using prien.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

topping again for more replies!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:45 PM

One more time for the op
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Can't recommend a place to stay, but one of the prettiest locations on your route is Fuschl am See. Maybe someone on Fodors can recommend a hotel. Here's a couple of websites that might help:

http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/5,en...home/home.html

http://www.fuschlseeregion.com/alias/fuschlsee/en
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton Julie. We are staying at Prien at the Rienhart and quite excited about it. We will reach there only 4-5 pm though and will probably just walk the city centre that evening but will try to push for a late check out the next day and go see the castle.

Thanks for your suggestion on Fushcl, Betty. It looks lovely. We are definitly doing it as a day trip from St. Wolfgang. Since this is our second trip in that area and will have done Hallstat and Berchesgaden before, I was looking for new ideas for day trips and this looks just right. I ahve also added Gosau and Gumenden. Wonder if you or anyone else has been there?