Notices

Munich, Salzburg Hotels

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich, Salzburg Hotels

Does anyone have any recommendations for moderately priced Hotels in Europe and Salzburg? I wanted to stay in the Hotel-Uhland in Munich but unfortunately it is booked. Does anyone have an opinion of the Hotel Am Dom in Salzburg?
Also, does anyone know if the Bayern ticket is good only from 9am?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:45 AM

I can recommend the Hotel Trumer Stube in Salzburg. Great location, nice owners and reasonably priced. If you do a search here on Fodors for Trumer Stube, I know I've mentioned it before with the website address.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:04 AM

I like the Hot Acanthus in Munchen and the Hot Wolf-Dietrich in Salzburg.
M
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 09:48 AM

When we went to Munich two years ago we were going to stay at the Uhland also, but it was not available. We happily switched to the Torbreau and obviously highly recommend it.

Here is a link to the Munich Tourist Office in English. Click on Accommodation. It will list just about every hotel in Munich by area. Many of the hotels will have links to their web sites. It will give you some idea of what is out there.

http://www.muenchen-tourist.de/englisch/index_e.htm

Curious
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:31 AM

The BEST (yes, it's a chain hotel) I found in Salzburg was two years ago at the Crowne Plaza Pitter. The cheapest rack rate is now 110 Euro, but I'm sure you can get a better deal with a little internet wheelin' and dealin.' My hubby and I got it cheap as part of a Collete Independent Vacations package deal (Vienna, Salzburg, Berchtesgarten)... we didn't expect a 5-star!!! Everything about it was fantastic, esp. the location and sevice.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:54 AM

re your Bayern Ticket question,

Unless the rules have changed from a year ago, the 9 a.m. rule applies to M-F travel. You can go as early as you want on Sat. and Sun (and you pay a slightly higher ticket price).
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 02:28 AM

I was in Munich in May--yes you have to wait until 9 am to use it, but it's a huge discount. We paid 22 euros for up to 5 people-Munich to Salzburg.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:49 AM
JN

We stayed in the AM Dom in 2002 and loved the location, large two bedroom room (#11 I think--or was it #22?), the price, the cleanliness and the incredibly friendly owner, Herr Bachleitner. The breakfast is modest, (good coffee, breads, spreads and juice) and served in a cool German-style stube room. If I were looking for a reasonably priced room in the Altstadt, I'd go for the Am Dom again.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
tmh

We stayed at the Hotel Bristol in Munich this past Dec. It was throwing distance to the Seidlinger Tor subway stop; close enough to walk to the Christmas markets (MArienplatz); very good buffet breakfast and they offered free internet access in the lobby.

They were working on the floor where the buffet normally is so it was congested but it was still very nice.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 07:53 AM

We were very happy with the Hotel Platzl, which is just off the Marienplatz: great location. The rooms are fairly spacious, some with sitting areas, and plenty of storage.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:15 AM

I have stayed at the Hotel Helvetia a couple of times. I think it was about 85 euro. They also have a new sister hotel that is even nicer.

Will you have a car? If so, you might want to stay in a zimmer just outside the town of Salzburg. We stayed in the hills in House Moser. A very nice couple owned the house, the room ahd a balcony with a valley view and a bathroom just outside our bedroom. The lady cooked us a hot breakfast in the morning too! I think we paid 12 Euro a piece two years ago.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:07 AM
MaureenB

We used the Bayern pass two different days this June, from Munich. I believe we paid about 22 Euros for trains after 9 a.m., and it would have been about 38 Euros if we'd wanted to catch an earlier train. A good deal either way. We thoroughly enjoyed the train trips. Reading other posts, I guess we were lucky we'd booked the Hotel Uhland well in advance for our four-night stay. It is a charming hotel.