Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Better location in Venice:Hotel Ca'amadi near the Rialto bridge in Cannaregio or La Calcina in Dorsoduro by the Guidecca Canal?

Search

Better location in Venice:Hotel Ca'amadi near the Rialto bridge in Cannaregio or La Calcina in Dorsoduro by the Guidecca Canal?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as being in a happening place and within walking distance of attractions and restaurants, ease of getting to the airport in the morning or if you know these hotels, which do you recommend? Another option would be the Ca'della Corte in Dorsoduro near the Piazzale Terminal.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:32 AM

The Rialto Bridge is "a happening place" (there's a market there every morning -remember "what news from the Rialto?&quotso that hotel, which I don't know, would be better on that count.

La Calcina or the hotel near Piazzale Terminal would both be slightly easier to get to the airport because the alilaguna boat to the a/p stops right near La Calcina while there's a land bus that goes to the a/p from Piazzale. From the Rialto bridge area, you'd have to walk or take a vaparetto (local "boat bus&quot to either the alilaguna stop at San Marco or the train station for the bus so it would involve "a transfer" (or you could ofcourse take a water taxi although they're expensive-about 80 euros)

There are restaurants everywhere &amp; Venice is really not very big. People on this board love La Calcina because its' a bit <i>removed<i> from the hustle &amp; bussel of San Marco &amp; the Rialto yet within an easy walk. It also offers some great canal views because it sits facing the wide Guidecca.

The area around the train station IMO is not as desirable unless you're doing a lot of train travel. Based on how you asked the question, I'd say you'd probably like staying near the Rialto best because there'sa lot of activity &amp; restos &amp; shops. But if you're going in high season, it could be very busy &amp; noisy. Check tripadvisor.com for reviews of the hotels &amp; pay attention to comments about noise on the one near the Rialto.

Most people want a canal view in Venice (just a &quot;heads up&quot.</i></i>
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Sorry I forgot to end the italics. I was trying to emphasize that La Calcina is a bit removed from the center of activity which is what people like about it. There are plenty of restaurants in the Dorsoduro area too. But if you want to be able to walk out of your hotel &amp; be in the center of things, staying near the Rialto or P. San Marco would be better options.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 05:59 AM

SORRY FOR ALL THE TYPOS!!

I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT IT ALL REALLY DEPENDS ON HOW MANY DAYS YOU HAVE AND WHEN.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:01 AM
ira

Hi RD,

As mclaurie noted, being near the Rialto is in the midst of things, which is why many people would prefer the Calcina.

Venice is small enough to be able to walk everywhere.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:08 AM

I stayed at La Calcina, and loved the place and the location. Although it's &quot;a bit removed&quot; from the crowds, the distances are very short-- only a few minute walk to the Accademia Bridge, and then you are in the center of all the tourist activitiy. Personally, I welcomed the chance to get away from the hordes. And the Rialto Bridge is generally swarming with people. I wouldn't want to stay near it. But it's a short walk to the Grand Canal, and you can get on the vaporetto or walk over the Accademia Bridge and be in the center in no time.

La Calcina's location is ideal because you can quickly get anywhere yet still have a sense of getting away from everything. I was there in July, and I really did appreciate being able to come back to a place that was relatively peaceful. Staying on the Guidecca Canal is more like having a river view-- it does have larger ships and commercial traffic going by, so it's not really like having the quaint atmosphere of the Grand Canal or smaller canals. But it's also very open,airy, and light.

On another trip, I even stayed at the very popular Accademia Hotel, and my husband and I still preferred La Calcina. And one reason for that preference is the location.
Venice is a sprawling kind of place; there's not a center like we are familiar with in urban cities, and, IMO, it's better to be away from the dense tourist sites. You really are never very far from any site or canal stop.