best/worst guidebooks

Search

best/worst guidebooks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best/worst guidebooks

I am plannig to go to Tuscany, Umbria , and Venice for my honeymoon next September. Which guidebooks have proven outstanding and which have proven terrible? From browsing Amazon I have concluded a few things:

Good or Great
Fodors Italy
Rough Guide Tuscany & Umbria
Cadogan Tuscany, Umbria, & Marches
Lonely Planet Venice
Venice For Pleasure
Frommers Florence Tuscany and Umbria
Rick Steves Venice

Mixed:
Rick Steves Florence & Tuscany
Fodors Florence Tuscany and Umbria
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:22 PM

You have left out a couple of popular ones: Michelin Green books (Tuscany and Venice), Eywitness guides (Florence & Tuscany and Venice and the Veneto). I have all of the above, purchased at different times for different types of trips.

The answer depends on what kind of traveler you are. In general I will buy Michelin guides for the area as they are incredible practical, if a bit dry. I balance that with Cadogan guides, which give a wonderful "flavour" of the place. If I am visting a city for only a couple of days, I like the eyewitness guides.

If you are a budget traveler then Rough guide and Lonely Planet series are good.

I suggest you check out some books from your local library and discover which style suits you best.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:44 PM
cmt

My favorites are definitely the Michelin green guides and the Cadogan guides. However, I find a lot of other guidebooks valuable in different ways. Other ones that I've found useful include: Blue Guides (best if you want details re architecture and re archeological sites), DK Eyewitness (nice because there are pictures to help you decide what's appealing, but they're too heavy to carry), Rough Guides (emphasis on budget travel), Lonely Planet, and Baedeker (also include a map that you can use separately). I've also used Fodors citypacks because of their convenient size and practical info and the map included in the back pocket, but I wouldn't rely on them for accuracy. I've looked at, but don't really like, the regular Fodors guides, Frommers, and Rick Steves guides.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:57 PM

As I type this, I look up at my nearby shelf collection of Michelin Green Guides. Over the years, they have given us the best, most concise, and most detailed information about what to see, where it is, when it is open, and how each attraction ranks within the country in which it is located. Some of my copies have become worn to tatters, a good sign and a good reason to replace them next time we travel. They do not cost an arm and a leg.

Some guide books, written in a breezy style, are just that: guide books for non-travelers. Something to pass time, something to overcome sudden pangs of regret at not having gone to a place.

Other books are extremely heavy, almost mini-cocktail table books, filled with useless artwork and what so-and-so wrote about a place in 1880. These are fun to look through but hardly something you can use.

Someone here has commented that the Michelin Green Guides are a bit on the dry side. That's a correct assessment, IMHO. But their usefulness and compact size more than make up for their lack of literary flair.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:05 PM

You've left out 2 which I find more useful than any of those that you did list or that others suggested:
Let's Go
Routard

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 03:48 AM

Clearly this board is a great magnet for bookworms!

Your question, 'which have proven terrible' begs the question, what would make a guide a failure? I'd love to hear from others on this one.

For me, since I generally choose a guidebook on the basis of the practical tips it gives me for travel in the country, the accuracy and precision of that information is crucial. I have little patience for guides that have a habit of stating "for further information, call this number" or worse yet, "write this address". While I expect to have to supplement books with other research (websites, calling or faxing hotels, etc.) I expect the guide's author(s)to pull his/her/their weight - after all, to some extent, reading a guide is supposed to BE the legwork! So a good guide should anticipate the kind of information I'm going to need - and track it down.

Political commentary in a guide won't necessarily prevent me from buying it, but I much prefer it if a) it's kept to a minimum and b) the author keeps it separate from the practical and/or purely factual information. I can then make up my own mind whether I wish to listen to his/her views or simply concentrate on the task at hand.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Jsiegendorf: Unfortunately the terms "terrible" and "outstanding" are totally subjective. Someone above said it all depends on the type of traveler you are, what you want, etc. And then there is the comment that the guide should "anticipate the information I need" which probably isn't the easiest task in the world but I suspect the writers know by now the things that MOST travelers need.

I think the answer is just like your question: it is subjective depending on the individual traveler and reader. I love it when someone blurts out..." This or that guidebook are the BEST" and it is no doubt true, but not necessarily for everyone.

Pick a couple from your list and try them if you haven't already...the more you do this the easier you'll find out which one or ones is/are "the best" or should I say, "outstanding" for you.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Quite a good test is to look at a few guidebooks on a city or country that you know really well and see how accurate and useful you think they are based on your own knowledge. Is the information accurate? Are they full of value judgements? Are there any glaring omissions? Do they gloss over the bad points?
Another test is to check how easy it is to find information - look up Gondola in 3 different Venice guides, for example, and see what kind of information you can find, and how easy it is to access.

I find this to be a pretty useful way to work out what kind of guidebook I'll prefer. After that, it's personal preference.

For example, personally, I don't really like the Michelin green guides because of the annoying (in my opinion) alphabetical layout and lack of useful, practical information on anything apart from sightseeing (too much waffle and useless itineraries). But others swear by them.

I love the Lonely Planet guides and wouldn't say they are strictly for budget travelers, as they give a good mix of maps, hotel and restaurant recommendations, general travel and transport tips, as well as the lowdown on the main sights.

Chacun à son goût... ;-)
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:02 AM

For City guides (The Venice portion of your trip for instance) I dont believe you can beat the "Time Out" guides.

Time Out is a venerable and as highly regarded as to be indespensable weekly listings magazine in London - they've expanded to other editions in New York and I think also Manchester and Edinburgh (? could be mistaken about those two British cities).

The brand has expanded again to take in popular city break destinations - popular for UK travellers that is - (Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Prague, New York etc) and they are full of great information including the best information on bars/nightclubs and restaurants published in any guidebooks.

They also do the contextual stuff very well, they're written in a lively and breezy manner and not afraid to be opinionated. Other than the nightlife details mentioned above, they're often particularly strong on modern art collections and galleries, 'fringe' or alternative theatre and shopping.

Happy reading!

Dr D.

(By the way does anyone else use these aswell... I tend to travel with a Michelin Green and a Time Out now where possible - I've had it up to here with Rough Guides which seem to me to be riddled with inverse-snobbery and far too concerned with endless church architecture. Dr.D)
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Sorry, to be clear (having re-read my post), The City Guides are proper (paperback)guidebooks not weekly listings magazines which are only available from newsagents/newstands in London & New York - and perhaps Manchester and Edinburgh as mentioned above)
Dr D.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:42 AM

As supplemental books, I used and loved:

Fred Plotkin's Italy for the Gourmet Traveler

Faith Willinger's Eating in Italy

City Secrets:Florence, Venice and the Towns of Italy
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Goodmorning, my feelings are that the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness , Baedekers,Michelin Green & Red, Gillimard as well as Fodors are
the ones which I use and have used in planning trips to Italy and CH...
Richard J. Vicek
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Hi
buying guidebooks is one of those things that I think is better to buy in person. I go to a bookstore and browse for an hour. I look up a particular topic or two in each of several books, and then buy the book(s) that treat the topics in the way that I like.

Michelin Green I almost always want because I like a lot of detail, for most cities at least, on art and architecture. Unlike some of the posters above, I don't find them that useful for 'practical' info for hours of admission, website references,
and other changeable details. I don't like the index in the Green guides as some topics are under their Italian names (like Chiesa, church) and other topics under English names.

When I'm new to a place I like to have one of the general, mid-range guidebooks like Fodors or Frommers: practical details, lots of restaurant and hotel suggestions,etc.

I am not a Rick Steves fan. To put this as neutrally as possible, for me he provides lowest common denominator info in terms of hotel and restaurant choices, as well as in descriptions of museums and historic sights. That's not to say that a more bare-bones approach isn't useful and liked by many, it's just not usually what I want.
He doesn't need my money anyway.
At the other extreme, I find the Blue Guides and Cadogan just too much to read while I'm there.

I too like the City Secrets books and the Eyewitness books for pre-trip reading, but not for carrying with me.
I don't like the Eyewitness indices and with the way the books are organized, I have trouble finding the topics I want. Also a bit think on restaurant and hotel info. But very nice books to read and dream by.

The Gustafson books Great Sleeps in Italy and Great Eats in Italy are also useful I find.

I love Venice for Pleasure, and I take it with me, but it's quirky, one could spend all one's time reading it in Venice, and not really seeing and experiencing Venice first hand.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Wow...thank you all for the great suggestions. My plan is to browse the books in-person. The reason why I scoped out Amazon was to see readers opinions of the books having actually used them on a trip. Some books had much less review than others.

I like mid-level prices as far as room and board, and I like a lot of detail so I can get a better idea of what I might like. I will hit the must-sees, but generally prefer less tour-bus crowd activities.

From all of the comments so far I would definitely check out the Green Guide. I had no idea it was so popular. I also liked the idea of comparing the same activity in different books.

I guess when I said 'proven terrible' I meant left out key info, incorrect information, glosses over or omits incredible expperiences. The 'outstanding' books would be more subjective I guess.

Thank you all so much!

Jason