Car Rental - Most convenient location outside of Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`m looking to rent a car to travel from Rome. I do not want to deal Rome`s traffic, therefore, I`d like a close, convenient location outside of Rome, a close-by town accessible by train or event in the outskirts of Rome, accessible by public transportation. I will be travelling towards Venice so a northeast location would most likely be ideal. It also needs to be a big enough town with major rental companies as I will drop off the car somewhere in France. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:28 AM

Orte and Orvieto are two larger towns just north from Rome - both have great train service - Orvieto of course is one of the Italy gems of hill towns, well worth a good look.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM

Orvieto is often mentioned. Try to go through AutoEurope; it's a broker and generally offers the best prices.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both; I`m trying to get a quote from AutoEurope and I keep getting the "sorry we do not have any results matching..." I changed the dates, the car, the drop off location and it`s not working. Is it possible that Orvieto is listed but there is no AutoEurope branch in that city?
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

What about Terni? I get a hit with this one.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:51 AM

If Terni works for the auto-rental people, it can also work for you: It's on a direct train line from Rome.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:19 PM

Try Chiusi. The train from Rome is 1 hour 22 minutes. Autoeurope does offer rentals from there - in the same piazza as the train station. Happy travels!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM

I am facing the same dilemma. I will be leaving Rome on a Saturday in June with a family of 4. We are heading to a 1 week rental just south of Siena. Am I better off braving the traffic from the Via Sardegna pick up location in Rome or heading outside the city? Some have told me that Saturday traffic is not too bad. Others have recommended taking a cab to Fum. airport to get the car, which adds some cost. I am a little hesitant to hop a train to Orvieto or elsewhere because on Saturday the rental offices outside Rome close at noon. If there is a train delay or problem I am stuck until Monday. I hope to hear some suggestions. Thanks.