Where to drop off rental car on way to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all.... I'm wondering where the best place to drop off a rental car is going to Rome from Arezzo? From there I plan on taking a train from the drop off location into Rome. Thanks much!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Orvieto, hands down. A lovely small hilltop city, accessable by funicular. Drop off your car upon arrival, take the funicular to the top of the hill, spend then night, and return by funicular to the train station. Easy rail connection to Rome. Type Orvieto into the search box at the top of the page and read the many messages from the archives that will appear on the left-hand side of your page.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Betsy!

I was checking the Autoeurope site and Orvieto isn't an option for dropoff... any suggestions?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM

HI C,

Orvieto should be an option because Hertz has an office there (or is it Avis?). AutoEurope is a broker and uses the other rental agencies!

I've pickup/dropped at Chiusi, Siena, and Foligno and all but Siena were super easy.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Phone AutoEurope! I don't know why Orvieto isn't listed on their website, but they certainly used to use Avis there. Orvieto wasn't listed when we dropped off there (twice)either, but a phone call to the AE 800 number remedied the situation in short order. If for some reason they <i>have</i> changed things, then I'd suggest dropping off in Chiusi and training to Orvieto to spend the night, and training on into Rome.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We dropped off at the Rome airport, then took the train into town.

MY
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM

We also dropped off our car at the airport in Rome. The drop off point is in the multi storey car park. Once you know this, it is easy. However, there is only one sign as you enter the airport grounds to indicate this and if you miss it ... like we did, it took another hour to find the... place. They are not allowed to place any signs around the airport. We caught the train in, but to be honest it would have been cheaper to catch a limo, there are places in the airport you can go to. We had to catch a taxi from the train station to our hotel - Albergo Senato and the taxi driver ripped us off something terrible even though we were waiting for it we still got caught. Good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses! I will end up calling Autoeurope when the time comes to reserve the car. The Hertz website lists Orvieto so I do know it's an option!

Schnauzer - good insight on the taxi...not something I'd heard to watch out for!

C-
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 08:03 AM

When is your trip? It may be a good idea to reserve with AE now. There's no charge for changes and/or cancellation. After you reserve, look around for a less expensive rate, notify AE, and they will match it.