Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from London to Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I planning a trip to Scotland next fall, and are trying to determine the best way to get from London to Scotland - train or plane? I am assuming that most people go to Edinburgh first, but our itinerary is completely open at this point, and all recommendations are welcome!
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I am assuming that most people go to Edinburgh first</i>"

Not quite sure why that would be. Entirely depends on where else you are going. As for the best way to get to Scotland - mainly depends on where you are traveling from and in which order.

If you are flying into LHR and want to get to Scotland right away, flying to Edinburgh or Glasgow is by far the easiest. On the other hand, if you are visiting London or someplace else first, then the train is often easiest.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 05:00 PM

Where are you coming from? Several cities in the US have flights directly to Scotland - no need to go through Heathrow.

If you are not visiting London or the countryside - but just landing at Heathrow - I would just fly to Edinburgh immediately.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Janis - I'm just in the earliest planning stage, so I don't know where we'll be going in Scotland - just guessing Edinburgh is the most common starting point but as you pointed out, that could change.

nytraveler - we're flying on American Airlines award tickets, and they told me AA does not fly to Edinburgh, and that I would need other arrangements from London to Edinburgh. I'm not even sure that's accurate! Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 09:12 AM

American Airlines does not fly direct to Edinburgh, but it's partner British Air flies to Edinburgh from Heathrow. Your miles ticket should cover you flying AA to LHR and changing to Edinburgh. Ask the agent specifically about this. If there is no layover in London, there should not be additional mileage required.

If you want to visit London with your miles ticket, you could fly into London and out of Edinburgh or vice/versa. You used to be able to incorporate a stopover in a miles ticket to Europe (i.e., fly to London, stop for a few days, continue to Edinburgh, then back home on the same miles ticket). Now, they make you buy an additional inter-Europe miles ticket if you have a layover.

Have fun!

Chels
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM

See if you can get "multi-city" / "open jaws" tickets so you fly into one city and out of the other, taking the train inbetween. If you want to start in London you'll probably find other routings to Edinburgh that don't involve London - by flying via a European hub like Amsterdam or Frankfurt you won't go through immigration until you reach Edinburgh.

<i>"I am assuming that most people go to Edinburgh first"</i>

Most people actually visit London first as they think they have no option but to fly into and out of London and tag Edinburgh on for a few days before returning to London for the flight home.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 10:40 AM

CarolynAnn - speak to someone else at AA - they told you wrong. In 2010 we flew AA ff miles to London, worked our way on land to Edinburgh (terrific place - must return)and flew back to the US from Edinburgh THRU London. They used a partner airline - British Air - for the Edinburgh - London part. No problem at all. I don't see a reason why they couldn't do the same in reverse if that is what you want.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM

It's British Airways or BA, never British Air
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM

You can also book BA awards online at AA.com now. (New function!)