Need help re. UK honeymoon

Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Need help re. UK honeymoon

I'm getting married in mid-September and we'll be honeymooning for 8-10 days in the UK. My fiancee has never been abroad and is kind of fixated on London. He also prefers to stay in one place while on vacation, though he doesn't mind some day trips. I've been to London a couple of times and though I like it, I'm dying to see Scotland. I think I can get him to agree to spend a couple of days/nights in Scotland if most of the trip is spent in and around London. If we take a train from London, what city should we stay in? Which offers the most convenience and interesting things to do and see? I'm thinking Edinburgh, but I'd like some opinions. Thanks in advance!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:21 AM
P_M

Congrats on your upcoming marriage. I vote for Edinburgh. I was there 5 days and loved it.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:40 AM

I agree - definitely Edinburgh, its stunning. My husband and I flew from London to Edinburgh - it took about 45 minutes - in Sept '03 and was cheaper than taking the train. It was really worth it and we ended up loving Scotland. It was actually a nice break from the crazy sightseeing we did in London. We even rented a car and drove around some rural areas near Edinburgh, lots of castles, sheep, etc. Absolutely gorgeous. The city itself is beautiful too and lots to see, but not too tiring. One of my favorite European cities ever.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM

with 8 to 10 days I would do London / Edinburgh if you are really into cities. It sounds as though you are.

It sounds like you have't bought your tickets yet. If not, consider flying open jaw - into Scotland and out of London (or in reverse). You can use either Edinburgh or Glasgow - whichever gets you the best airfare. Glasgow is just a short train ride from Edinburgh. Doing an open jaw would save you having to backtrack.

If you want to get outside of the main cities you could do 5 days in London and 2 or 3 in Edinburgh and then rent a car for a 2 or 3 days driving tour in the Scottosh countryside.

I would not do less than 5 days in London - more is better because it id HUGE. Edinburgh can be seen in just a couple of days because it is VERY compact.

If you decide to fly in/out of London, then I'd do 6 to 8 days in London, take the train to Edinurgh for a couple of days, and then fly directly back to your departure airport to connect for the flight home.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:45 AM

If you're doing 2 days in Scotland by train from London, definitely Edinburgh
Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

There's no way you can get your fiancee to spend more time in Scotland since you've already been to London yourself?

Well first of all, I would definitely vote for Edinburgh, and I would fly into it from London (we flew from Aberdeen to London on Easyjet - very reasonably priced).

There's so much beauty to Scotland in the countryside and the highlands. Edinburgh is great though. I'd personally try to get your fiancee to do 6 days in London, 4 in Scotland at the very least. My husband and I did a 4 day trip from Scotland (that's where he was living at the time) to London. It was very rushed, and well planned, but we saw A LOT. I would think you'd be able to see much of the city in 5 days, and then have 5 days in Scotland. Any way to make your trip a full 2 weeks? That would be ideal!

All my trips to the UK were 3 weeks at least, what a luxury that was though, our future trips will be reduced to 2 or 1.

Good luck!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM

If you are flying into London I would take the train to Edinburgh, it's a wonderful relaxing ride and the scenery is great. We stayed outside of Edinburgh in Dalhousie (sp) castle I would recommend that for a couple of days. We usually rent houses and our next Scotland trip took us to Aberfeldy where we rented a wonderful house. There are some wonderful flats to rent while in London. I've had good experiences with the Mansions on Earls Court Road.

Search this Thread