Best Tuscan home base?

Search

Best Tuscan home base?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Tuscan home base?

We're 4 adults in our early 50s who want a home base in Tuscany. We'll spend 2-3 nights in Florence to see that city, then move to another town. We don't like to stay in cities over 50K population, don't like to drive every time we want a meal (we will probably have a car), we're not into nightlife. We do like to walk, eat, see ancient sites, eat, visit gardens, eat, buy Italian goodies to take home, eat, and we'd like to keep our lodging under 110E per night per couple. We'd LOVE your recommendations!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM

I think this question is asked at least once per day so if you do a search you'll find lots of opinions. Nonetheless, I like Siena or Lucca as bases for my Tuscan travels as I always rent a car as well. Siena being South and Lucca being North. Both towns are destinations themselves but also provide great bases for making day trips to other towns. In addition, once you get done with your day trips, they both have plenty of excellent restaurants that you can walk to within their walls and are great venues for just strolling and relaxing in the evenings.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM

You might want to consider Sienna as a base given your criteria. If you're willing to do a little driving, try Montalcino and stay inside the city walls or outside at an agritourismo which is very fun (on a working vineyard, many have pools, onsite restaurants, etc) and most have cooking privileges or kitchenettes in the apartments). Part of the fun in tuscany is visiting hill towns which means driving...get a neverlost or navigation system. Around Montalcino, there are literally hundreds of vineyards, Sant Antimo monastary, in Montalcino, you can walk around the village, stop for some really great meals, there is a grocery store, laundromat, fortress, neat little shops, etc.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM

You want Montalcino !

Look at Il Giglio hotel and this nice B&B across the street:
www.montalcinoitaly.com Good value!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM

osnay,
Send me an e-mail and I will send you lots of ideas for Tuscany. It is too long to post.

Henry
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Pienza! Stayed there a week (rented an apt) because it was so centrally located for both Tuscany and Umbria. Turned out to be a great location choice. Several good restaurants right in town (and a really good one in San Quirico just below Pienza - Il Tornaio) and easy to get out and about. We also had a car which you really need to see Tuscany (and Umbria). Want more info on my stay, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Osnay,

I stayed in Montalcino for 3nts on my last trip and absolutely loved it! Nice to walk around town and to dinner. Be sure to dine at Grappolo Blu and drink the Brunello - have some for me too, per favore!

I was very happy with Il Giglio, great value for the money. Ask for a view room so you can see the morning mist over the hills.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:39 PM

We are planning on staying at Il Giglio. I have been told by another American there are no cabs to be found. We had hoped to go to Banfi for dinner one night, enjoy some wine, but not drive ourselves. Is the management at Il Giglio flexible to accommodate driving guests to Banfi and picking them back up after a dinner? We would happily pay. Since some of you have stayed there, you may have an idea or some other suggestions for us.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM

My vote is Pienza. Here's a link to my journal and photos of the area:
http://www.travelswithdiane.homestea...13Tuscany.html
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:32 AM

I'm with Montalcino or Pienza over Siena on this one. They're smaller, and more accessible.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 02:50 AM

I have the perfect place for your homebase. Its right outside of Florence, its quiet (no noisy nightlife!) Plenty of area to walk around, and it is cheap! (I stayed for about 75 Euros) I really recommend looking into this one.
http://www.travelintelligence.net/ws...ce_review.html
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:51 AM

I know it's not Tuscany, but Assisi in Umbria might be a consideration if you might happen to consider visiting places in Umbria as well. I stayed there for several days and it was my home base to visit towns in both Umbria and Tuscany.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Osnay,

Il Giglio is a family run hotel, Mama, Papa, and son. I don't think they would be able to drive you, but you could ask. I'm sure they could arrange a private driver for you if requested in advance. Probably would be quite expensive. Montalcino is very small, but does offer several great restaurants right in town.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:49 AM
bat

capri:
look at banfi's website
http://www.castellobanfi.com/tour/transportation.html

They have a recommended company--but pricing is from Siena and they may charge you that rate even though you are closer.

Another option is to spend even more money and stay overnight at Banfi.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
bat

Osnay:
I second Bob's recommendations for the Il Giglio and the Palazzina Cesira in Montalcino. The Palazzina is lower than your budget, the view rooms at the Il Giglio a little higher. Roberto, one of the owners of the Palazzinna, speaks excellent English (spent much of his life in the US). Both owners will help you with day trip itineraries, restaurant advice, etc. So you also receive some excellent travel services as part of the accommodation cost.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM

You didn't say how long you planned to be staying in Tucany after your Florence stay.
From your description I'd go with most here and say Lucca, siena and Montalcino seems to fit your desires.
I love Montalcino, but you need a car to stay there (you can bus, but I'd bet that isn't what you want to do).
I also love Lucca and like Siena. Both can be traveled to without cars and are big enough to stay without day trips.
So, I'd say Montalcino ,if you plan some driving around (a beautiful area)and either Lucca or Siena (I prefer the resturants there)if not.