Best transportation from new airport

May 8th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Hank Rohland

Best transportation from new airport

Can we take the randon taxi,with no problem?
What is the typical cost? Shall we consider the charter service? We arrive at the new Athens airport 14 May and have a hotel resv. down town.

May 8th, 2002, 02:40 PM
tab

It's fairly easy to hop on the express bus E 95 which runs betwen Sytagma Sq. in downtown Athens to the airport and back. It runs every 20 minutes and costs about 3 euros. 40 minutes ride. If you take a taxi, make sure the meter's on when you start. They're also not allowed to charge extra for more than one passenger.

May 19th, 2002, 09:04 PM
George

Does the express bus accomodate luggage? We are a party of 6 arriving in Athens on June 7, with one suitcase and carry on each. Our hotel is in Sytagma Square (Hotel Amalia). Any suggestions on whether the bus would be appropriate would be appreciated.

May 31st, 2002, 10:32 AM
Zoe

George:

Yes, the bus accommodates luggage. Carry your suitcases on and in the center is an empty space (no seats) for storage of luggage. I believe the last stop is Syntagma Square. Cost is 2.90 Euro and you can get your tickets when you board the bus. Don't forget to validate your ticket. The bus runs continually, with the frequency changing from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes late at night and in the early morning. It's very easy. The bus stop is just outside the terminal.

Jun 14th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Kat

After living in Greece for many years and using the airport for several trips, I would never recommend the bus although it is an inexpensive choice.

It's frequently late, crowded or on strike. Also, if you are flying a long-distance, one of the last things you want to do is stand on the bus for more than 40 minutes. My friend from Spain took the bus and traffic was bad that day; it took about 90 minutes and he was quite irritated by then.

I usually take a taxi. A regular one can be hailed at the airport, and there are strict fines for overcharging. Make sure the taxi meter is on Fare '1' if the time is not between 12midnight and 5am. They are allowed to charge you a small fee of 1 euro for each large bag in the trunk over 12 kilos (approx).

From the airport to Athens, it's usually around 25 euros. You can tip if you want, but it is not required.