Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do in Athens with 2 teens? Along the coast, perhaps?

Old Feb 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Athens with my two teenagers at the end of June, and on our last day, we have to check out of our hotel in the morning, but our flight to Mykonos is not until 6pm. I have contacted 'George the best taxi driver in Greece' on the reccomendation of Matt Barrett's website, and he has agreed to take us wherever we want to go for the day, then drive us to the airport. We will have about 7 hours to explore. Since we will be spending at least two days visiting the 'must see' sights in Athens (Acropolis, Plaka, and surrounding area), I was wondering if anyone has other suggestions? We love picturesque villages, the beach, and would like to try and avoid extremely touristy places. Is this asking too much? Any suggestions would be appreciated- also any suggestions for a good place for lunch.
Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Hi Sue!
George the Taxi Driver is not really George... thanks to Matt's endless promotion of him, he is now a big company with dozens of hired drivers who all say their name is George. Before you go with him, to comparison-shop, I suggest you Google "Athens Taxi Tour Prices." Here is a website with quotes for certain trips or tours: http://e-athenstaxi.gr/Prices/ How do these prices compare with what Matt Barrett's Favorite charges?

You will have to be at the airport at 5 pm for your 6 pm flight. You cannot go way way far and get back in time. It is hard to get to "picturesque villages" and untouristy places in 6 hours or so ... but you might look at the "Sounion tour" offered by e-taxi for €125.

If you have not been to Cape Sounion, you might consider that; it is close enough, and there's a nice beach below the monument where you could have a picnic lunch and the boys could swim. I'm sure you could find a nice taverna with a sea view for lunch too.

One can get a public bus from central Athens to Sounion for about €4 each way. here are tips from another forum:

"The SOUNION bus stop in Syntagma Square (unless they've moved it) is on Filellinon St (if you are standing in the square facing the Parliament Bldg, it is to your lower left). I think they run every 30 mins. By the way if you get it from Plateia Aigyptou, make sure you get on the bus for Sounio on the "paraliaki diadromi" which runs along the coast, there is another bus that runs in the interior ("endohora"). The former has better views. Sit on the right-hand side of the bus for the best views on the way down."

"For Sounion Bus, have your hotel check KTEL Bus by phone for the latest schedule when you arrive. When we were there in March the stops for this bus were marked with a tall narrow orange sign marked "SOUNIO" and I remember NO number on the bus. Our stop was about a block from the "Smile" resetaurant towards Hadrians Arch at 40 minutes past the hour every hour. The buses for this route are not the typical city buses and are painted Orange and White.
"Be advised the driver will not stop unless you waive to him indicating you wish to board. The ride took 1h 30m going and just over 2 hrs coming back.
"At the temple the same buses leave every hours on the hour. Unless it has changed there is no confusion over which bus to catch coming back. There is only the one bus coming that far out. Actually 2 or 3 of them I suppose but they all run the same route and all left on the hour. The last one left the ruins at 7:00 pm. (NOTE: this was in MARCH)
"Coming from Athen sit on the right side and on the left when returning to see the coast line as you travel the winding road."

However, as you can see, using public transit, you'd have to watch your time carefully, and catch a bus back at 2 pm or so, to reach Syntagma by 4, to Metro to airport before 5. And then there's your luggage. if you did a taxi-hire you could have luggage with you... and go to airport straight from Sounion without going back to city. Here's a map that shows whre Sounion is, roughly, on the coast down by Palaia Fokala -- and the airport is above it, where E94 bends upward & ends
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Athens&country=GR
=============================
If your previous Athens days included Sounion, forget that. How about Corinth Canal & Ancient Corinth? That's an easy drive... see canal, then to Ancient corinth, see some ruins, & back direct to airport. For a hired taxi, I would not pay more than €150.... its about 75Km to Cap Sounion (trip quote: €125), and about 95Km to Corinth.
=====================================
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Travelerjan,
Thanks so much for taking the time with all of that info. What nice people on this site! We may just decide to do a bus, but maybe on another day when we are in Athens- I think it would be too hectic to try to get back to the airport- and also, we will have luggage. That's why I thought the taxi might be a good alternative- just load our bags in, see the sights, then drop off at the airport. I'll take a look into another taxi tour- 'George' quoted me a much higher price- over 200 euro for 8 hours. Since we have to check out in the morning from our hotel, I didn't want to have luggage to lug all day, and definately did not want to sit in the airport for the entire day either. I'm not sure if our hotel would hold the luggage for us if we wanted to stay in the city until it was time to leave for the airport, but that's something I could check into as well. I', going to look into the Corinth Canal as well.
Thanks again for all the info!
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Should you decide to see the Corinth Canal don't miss going to Isthmia just down from the highway bridge... the sinking bridge there is worth a look.

You could also make a trip in the opposite direction to Marathon...
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ParisAmsterdam- I'll have to check into those as well! Your suggestions are appreciated!
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM

<<If you have not been to Cape Sounion, you might consider that; it is close enough, and there's a nice beach below the monument where you could have a picnic lunch and the boys could swim. I'm sure you could find a nice taverna with a sea view for lunch too.>>

I did that with my family two years ago. We were on a cruise and spent a day touring Athens and then drove to Cape Sounion with a stop for lunch at a waterside cafe. There were seven of us and we rode in a mini-bus. Our reservations were for a van but the vehicle was larger than that.

It was a nice ride and the lunch was good. We had to be back to the ship before 5:00 so it is doable.

Since you'll have done the Parthenon, Plaka, etc. maybe you'd enjoy the beach near Sounion mentioned by TravelerJan, especially since it will be in June.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Luisah-
I would love to go to Cape Sounion. My younger daughter ( I forgot to mention that my kids are girls)may appreciate the fact that there is a beach! I have a feeling with all of the historical ruins, etc. in Athens that we will be seeing, she may be due for a break from so much educational sightseeing! Cape sounion seems as if it would have something for each of us!
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:45 AM

In case you simply have not had enough of Athens and you decide to stay and see more on that last day, your hotel will store your bags for you. I have never been in a Greek hotel that does not offer that service. We have left our bags at our Athens hotel and just took day packs for a week trip to the islands. No problem. Actually it was that experience that made us realize we brought way to much stuff with us as we never missed the stuff we left at the hotel. You do not need a whole lot of clothes in Greece.
Just pick up your bags and head to the metro and straight to the airport.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stanbr- that may end up being our plan if a taxi tour turns out to be too expensive!
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:54 AM

I had another thought. On a couple of trips we took the local bus out tot eh seaside town of Vouglameni. There is a lovely beach club there with change rooms snack bars and loungers.
You have to pay but it was not very much. It is right on the bus route. It has been several years since we went there but if your kids are hankering for a half day on the beach this is a good option.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM

I love Vouliagnmeni (correct spelling, if you don't mind my correcting it!) But it may be too far to go if you have a flight to catch.

Have you already get plans to take the funiculare up Lycabettus Hill?

suefahy, I hope you won't conclude I'm not one of the nice people on this site but:

Do your "teens" have any interests?

I see a lot of posts that all they tell us is that somebody is packing "teens" along for the trip. Teens I know like different things: Some like sports, some like dancing, some like shopping, some like animals, some are into saving the planet, some are into computer programming -- in which I would think a little time with some classic greek guys might be in order. Athens has a hip caffe scene in the Kolanaki which I would have liked as a teen, but if your kids are into sports, maybe they'd rather go to Marathon (if it's not too far.)
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions stanbr & primeranoche. My girls are very different from one another- one likes to shop, while the other would love to be playing a sport...but one thing we all have in common is our love for the ocean. I've talked to them and their ideal day would be to explore a little seaside village, have lunch along the water, and a bonus would be to take a walk or swim at a beach. I've actually posted another forum topic inquiring about Evia- wonder if this is too far from Athens for the day? Thought we may get to stop at a village on Evia- from the photos I've seen, it looks beautiful- just don't know if it's practical for a day trip. Vouliagnmeni is another we're considering- isn't there a very large lake there which is quite beautiful? My biggest concern is to not go too far from Athens so that we can be back to the airport in time for our flight.
primeranoche- I do not even know what the funiculare is, so I will have to look into that.
Thanks again- I have just begun to check out our options, and am looking forward to researching all of your suggestions.