Best Town/City Near Aachen!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to maastricht netherlands in april. what's your favorite german town/city in the area of aachen, and why do you like it? Looking for day-trip ideas....
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Aachen is great, so don't overlook that one. I presume you will visit Cologne also.

Given this post, and your other post about Maastricht, I think Luxembourg would be a reasonable choice too, although in this case, I am just going by recommendation because I haven't been there.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Monschau is a very nice, quaint little village set down in a valley. Nice place to visit and have lunch.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Trier is an interesting historical city. Roman emperors madem it their northern headquarters. The Moselle river meanders through Trier and it's Roman gateway, Porta Nigra, dating to the second century. Other Roman ruins dot the landscape.

Jinx Hoover
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Will you be driving or relying on trains, etc.?
From Maastricht, you are within easy reach of Cologne as well. Or Utrecht (a 2 hour train ride, no changes), although from your name, you probably know that. Both worth seeing.
Of small(ish) Belgian towns, we rather like Diest. Pleasant, relaxed, an interesting but not particularly touristy place. The local beer is renowned for being a particularly good match with Belgian chocolate...when we had lunch at a cafe there, we commented on how much we liked the beer and the cafe owner promptly gave us two of the mugs that went with the beer (every Belgian beer has its own matching glass and no self-respecting drinker or server would give you a beer in the wrong glass).
One of my favorite places in the general region is Hattingen, but it would be best as an overnight trip and perhaps combined with a trip to Dusseldorf. Hattingen is an undiscovered gem (unlike Monschau, which is heavily touristed), a medieval walled city that is one of the few in the Ruhr area that was not bombed in WWII...the sites there are original, not reconstructed. A delightful, off the beaten path place.
www.virtualtourist.com has several tips about hattingen (and photos), you might want to look at those.