Luxembourg then on to????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out that my husband might have to go to Luxembourg for work, and well, it would be a shame to waste a free ticket across the pond.

I'm thinking that he will get antsy in Luxemborg being there a few days before I, so we would stay one or two nights then move on. But where to? Here are my thoughts,

1. Benlux; Luxemborg for 2 nights, then on to Brussels and Amsterdam 2 or 3 nights each or

2. Germany possibly Stuttgart and Munich.

I'm having a heck of a time deciding. Although Munich has been at the top of my list for next to visit, it seems like a long train ride. The Benlux itnerary does not seem to be that much travel. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Amy
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Have you checked with Luxair to see about flying to/from Munich? While they are a national carrier, not budget, they sometimes have decent specials.

Alternatively, you could visit Trier, Germany and the Moselle Valley sights, all within very easy reach of Lux. Good wine, too! In fact, you could probably do some of that and still hit Brussells for a day or two without much hassle.

By the way, while Lux. is a small and not highly touristed country, there are a lot of wonderful things to see and do there. I spent several days there about ten years ago while visiting friends, and was very pleasantly surprised.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 08:16 AM

I second the Trier suggestion. You will find the Roman ruins fascinating, ditto the imposing Dom and its beautiful cloister gardens.

I traveled from Trier to Maastricht via a change in Luxembourg City earlier this year. Traveling northwards through Lux. through the Ardennes, I saw so many little towns which made me want to stop and wander! The Ardennes are not huge mountains like the Alps, but they have a fairy-tale quality to them which is quite alluring. Maastricht was a wonderful place to spend the night. There are several districts of ancient buildings, a nice riverside walking area, and too many good restaurants to count!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:16 PM

I would third that decision to Trier. It's not too far away and it's overflowing with history. I live about 30 min away and go there all of the time. If you do go there.......go to the information place right next to the Port de'Nigra to get a map of the city. I think I paid like 2,90 for it. It's well worth it. It has a map and gives you a little about each place to visit. I just got back from there and ate at the Kirn, very delicious. It's right off of the market. Very reasonable on the prices too. Just get ready for a big meal if you do go there. Have a wonderful time. I just realized that you posted that a few months ago so maybe this will help someone else.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Be sure to visit Echternach.
I would simply rent a vehicle and take a trip into Belgium. Visit Orval Abbey (bread, cheese, beer, ruins); Bouillon Castle; Chimay; Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge); the Meuse River Valley (Dinant, Namur), and the various castles and chateaux along the way. The food is excellent and reasonable.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:32 PM
DAX

Since we're on the subject, I was in Trier last October and enjoyed it as well. I took the train to see Luxembourg even though I've been there before since I thought I missed out on the charm the first time. I have to say both places are enjoyable but nowhere near Brugge/Ghent/Brussels or Heidelberg/Bavaria.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Maastricht is a great 'tweener' location. dovima has the plan for you, I'll second that...