Best to buy leather--Spain or Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will spend a few days in Madrid and Barcelona, then hit Rome, Naples and Venice during a cruise, and would love to buy a real good leather jacket at some point on this trip.
Where's the best place to get one at the best price?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Almost every hombre in Barcelona was wearing a black leather jacket two years ago. Can't tell you where to shop.

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM

I was in Madrid and Barcelona last year. Haven't been to Rome yet, so I can't comment on that. As far as between Madrid and Barcelona, I definately recommend Madrid. I wasn't looking for jackets, but I got great leather shoes and purses, that were a huge bargain, even after the poor exchange rate. I only shopped in the Sol area, so I'm sure there are even better bragins to be found outside of this pricey area. Madrid was my fist stop of three cities, so I was afraid to spend too much money there. I've been kicking myself ever since that I didn't buy a few more shoes and purses!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM

depends on your pocket.
There are a few fantastic stores in Madrid ( Salamanca) but the prices are also fantastic.
I agree, there is more choice in Madrid than Barclone.
Have not been to Rome for a while, but I have a feeling you'll have to pay a good deal ( in euros) for a nice jacket.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM

I purchased a purse in Rome and Venice. I found both not to hold up well when I used them. They sewing did not hold up and I had to throw both of them away.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Hi
We have been to all places indicated and found that the shopping was incomparable in price and matching quality in Rome. We also found that the style was better in Italy in general than it was in Spain but of course if you really look I am sure you will find what you want wherever but I would probably hold out for Italy in terms of shopping for clothes.
Hope that helps
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM

In these days you will find leather goods in Italy marked "Made In Italy" but what isn't stated is that it is not the good well known reputable leather and also that the manufacturing is yes done in Italy but by immigrants especially Chinese immigrants (not all legal ones either) rather than the old school Italian artisians. But because the factories are located in Italy they can mark their products "Made in Italy" and thus one buys leather goods to discover they do not hold up well due to poor craftmanship as snookss experienced.

I know nothing about the leather goods in Spain.

But if one wants last longing leather good products in Italy do check out what you are buying and purchase from a long run reputable shop. And don't expect to get a bargain!