Best tips for 4 days in Prague

Apr 14th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Best tips for 4 days in Prague

We have just 4 days in Prague and hoped someone could advise on the highlights and tours. Are hop on hop off busses available or necessary? what are the best side trips? Is it easy to get around by subway? Can you recommend a good tour company?
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM

I don't think hop on and off bus exsit in Prague. Never noticed in my 3 visits in last 6 months. Praha is a fairly compac city for the main points of interests. If you are based in central area (old tow, mala strana, etc) you could do much of it on foot, that I do as I'm a good walker combined with the use of public transport. I usually buy 3 - 7 day subway- bus- tram pass that is valid from airport already to get into the city center. I don't use subway much. I use tramway often that goes most anywhere and you see outside unlike subway. Actually the tramway replaces hop on and off bus for me. Where I sually stay (Mala strana), theree are choices of about 6 to 7 tram lines that's so convenient. I don't know much about other the best and most convenient I have ever used. Many lines have ni
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Ooops, pushed a wrong key.

Many lines have night service too from after midnight till early morning.
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM

> I don't know much about other the best and most convenient I have ever used.

Sorry, I should lean how to edit before post. I meant to say Prague's tramway system is the most convenient I have ever used.
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM
littlebigshot

Prague's Jewish Museum, which is actually a collection of buildings and outdoor sites, is one of the most culturally and historically important patches of ground in Europe, and definitely should be a major part of any visit to the city (whether one personally has any Jewish background or not.)

Aside from that and the other standard attractions listed in all the guidebooks, like the Cathedral and the Bridge, I found the most interesting thing to do in Prague was just to walk around the city a lot. The city itself is one of Europe's major experiences.

Apr 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM

We walked almost everywhere but also enjoyed a car tour in a vintage 1930s convertable. It starts at Old Town Square in front of St Nicholas church (opposite side of the square from the horse-drawn carriages). Went around old town, Mala Strana, and Kampa Island. The driver/guide was very informative.
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Here's the car I was talking about: http://bp1.blogger.com/_yTplvv9S09M/...g_car_rszd.jpg
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM

bookmarking
Apr 14th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I have not had time to buy a good guide book and this is helpfull. Are there day sidetrips that are a must see?
Apr 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM

I really enjoyed simply walking through town. Of course, the famous castle is by no means to be missed! At all!!

While I was there we actually ate at a restaurant inside the castle, sitting on an ancient stone balcony high above the city at sunset! GORGEOUS!

The group I was with (I was touring with my choir) gave us all cute little maps and said "ok, meet here at XX" and let us wander around the city. It's not the most efficient way of going about seeing the city, but I loved absorbing the local color for the afternoon. And yes, the classic car tours are fun!
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Do a walking tour with http://www.prague-guide.info/
Ours was with Martin. He spent the whole day with our family.