Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best style, size hand luggage piece & why its so good!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you advise best type of hand luggage for a 7 week trip from Australia to California, Canada & most part Europe? we will have in total 18 arrivals & departures for trip so keep that in mind. I recently bought a 20" roller hand luggage piece but am thinking of exchanging it for a carpetbag style with long strap . have just found out we can't take hand luggage roller case on a 15 day bus tour we are taking of eastern europe so that in itself is causing us problems. price is an issue and availability also is as we are from Australia. no where near the range to pick from as in USA and postage from states too dear for a large item like this. just thought as I am writing this it may be possible to buy one in California (San Francisco) as that is our first stop for 5 nights. could make do on plane with backpack I will have empty in checked luggage. welcome all your thoughts please as I am first time traveller to anywhere!!
I know you will have have excellent suggestions. thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

where are all the luggage experts? need help not long before we leave. thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM

Hello 64kerry,

I like your idea of getting something when you are in San Francisco. With 5 days, you should be able to find something.

The first place that comes to mind for an inexpensive duffle bag with a long strap would be a place like Target or Ross. Don't know where they'd be in SFO. The big department stores like Macy's would probably be too expensive.

Why don't you try posting a question on the U.S. board with the heading to include something like "Where to buy inexpensive duffle bag in San Francisco" or something like that.

There's quite a number of folks here that live in that area (Faina, PamSF, LoveItaly come to mind). Perhaps they could help, not only with where to buy but how to get there from where you'll be staying.

Good luck!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks Kopp will try US board. kerry
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM

Yes, every tour sends you a note stating only 1 piece of carry-on is allowed on a tour bus, but there are exceptions, passenger-made exceptions

On my Globus tour of Switzerland about 1/2 of us had rollers. The tour director didn't say anything - she collected tips at the end of the tour, she new better not to say anything!

Some tour companies send you their own long-strap carry-ons with the company name on them. I still have Globus and Trafalgar at home - didn't like the size of those.

If you're looking for inexpensive luggage, the best place to buy in San Francisco is Chinatown - plenty of small shops along Grant and Stockton streets.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM

Hi Kerry,

Why not try an Army Surplus type store here in Australia, they have quite good range of luggage and bags?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM

I would call the tour company and ask specifically about the 20" roller. Some hand luggage could be larger than that so they may mean the larger rollers. They make backpacks with wheels so what would be the difference? It would be a shame if you bought something else and then found that you could have used the rolling bag.

If the tour company tells you that you cannot use it I'd look for something very lightweight but sturdy, definitely with carrying handles as well as a shoulder strap. If you have to resort to a duffle bring along some different sized plastic bags to separate your stuff since duffles rarely have inside compartments.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM

What about using a backpack will wheels. I was looking at the Osprey Meridian Wheeled Convertible Pack. You can find it online at REI.com. Seems nice because when you are going through the airport you can wheel it but when you are walking around you can use it as a backpack. Plus the front part comes off and can act as a daypack. Very comfortable and easy to use.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

i did actualy enquire through my travel agent to the tour company some time ago and they said no to my 20" roller. perhaps I could just plead ignorant, not something I would usually do but I feel i need this case for the other 5 weeks of travel! whats the worse that could happen they won't leave my case on the side of the road will they?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:16 AM

The restriction may be because the roller won't fit in the overhead bin in the bus.

Are you limited to one checked suitcase? If so, what size? I've traveled to Europe with a 20" packed inside of a 26" because I knew I'd shop (of course). If you could do that for your bus tour using your backpack for your carryon you'd have your 20" for the rest of the trip.

I think your other option is finding something in S.F. I hope it works out for you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:52 AM

The tour company may be referring to what size luggage you can carry on to the coach (bus). The roller bag may be allowable as luggage that can be stowed in the luggage compartment under the coach. You can usually carry some type of day bag or small backpack on board.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM

go to www.onebag.com
they have great information on luggage. you may be able to order something online and have it shipped to your hotel on SF.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Hello 64kerry, I just saw your thread.

Kopp mentioned looking at Ross or Marshall's in San Francisco for a piece of luggage. Will your hotel be in the Union Square district kerry? If so it should be easy for you to visit both of these stores. They are both on Market Street near Powell St., which ends at Market Street. If memory serves me right Marshall's is at the corner of Market and 5th Street right across the street from the SF Centre (a very large shopping mall which has the large department stores Nordstrom's and Bloomingdale's plus many smaller stores, restaurants etc. as well as a movie theater). The SF Centre is right across Market Street where Powell Street ends (that is where the Cable Car turn around is plus the Powell Street BART station). Marshall's is on the same side of Market Street.
Going east on Market Street (walk pass the SF Centre which will be on your right) the Ross Store is on the same side of Market as the SF Centre. It is either at 4th and Market or 3rd and Market but I am pretty sure it is at 4th and Market. Both stores accept all the major credit cards of course.

Welcome to San Francisco and California! Your trip sounds lovely.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone for information can't wait to go shopping in San Fran and visiting your lovely city for the first time.