Search

opened suitcases & missing items

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opened suitcases & missing items

May 2005 - San Francisco to Wash D.C.`
We put the TSA approved locks on 2 suitcases (the inspectors can override locks and check bags). First suitcase was opened and inspected..A TSA note was left inside by inspectors. Second suitcase lock was missing and zipper partially open. Did not notice til arrival at hotel. My favorite dress shoes were gone (really miss those shoes)

July 2005 San Jose to Las Vegas
This time no locks were put on. Wife's cosmetic bag missing.

It seems there has to be a lot of care in what you put in the bags today.Actually we never put in anything of value (except for comfortable shoes)
How many of these cases are reported...not many I guess.
Anyone else having these problems?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:30 PM

no, never had a problem. i travel by plane about 8x per month and never had anything at all missing. even a few times when i forgot remove some cash.

i haven't been to the US in almost a year but i never had a problem there either. this whole thing with the leaving of notes and the tsa locks is a bit weird to me...never heard of this except on fodors. i've never had a note left and i never lock anything.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I always check my suitcase in, put a TSA lock even when flew to/from Europe. Haven't noticed anything missing. Was inspected once or twice.

I travel with a convenient, but cheap suitcase bought in a cheap place in San Francisco China-town. Maybe this helps. Is your luggage expensive? brand name?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Oopsss... I meant the suitcase was inspected, not I
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I used to put carabeeners (forgive spelling if wrong) on the suitcases to keep them from popping open, and they kept getting "permanently removed". So, I started putting plastic zip ties on the luggage. I've had bags inspected a few times, but so far haven't noticed anything missing. If it's an airport where you walk your own luggage over to the machines, I try to stay and watch them.

I agree with the cheap luggage post someone above made. I try not to advertise anything good anywhere. Sprinkling dirty underwear on top of the stuff in your bags tends to deter searching too, just in case you get desperate. ;oP
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
OO

It just happened to me too. Flying San Antonio to Tampa, the TSA approved lock was broken off my suitcase, and the zipper broken in the process. The two zippers gapped almost a foot and anything loose could easily have fallen out. No note from TSA. We too didn't discover the breakage until we got to the hotel and I was furious--too late then. It was obvious they had torqued the lock to break the zipper and get in. Why?

My husband's, also locked with a TSA approved lock was unlocked and not locked again, lock left dangling. No note placed in his suitcase either. Nothing was taken from either suitcase, but mine will have to be repaired before it can be used again.

It seems evident that TSA is lax about leaving notes. I don't mind their checking our bags, but I do mind willful damage and the fact that that bags can be rifled with impunity by anyone so inclined! Is it the baggage handlers? TSA? Who knows? A key was used for my husband's lock, but I suppose there are plenty of those making the rounds by now...
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I never lock my luggage, my husband had a relatively expensive pocket knife taken from checked luggage on a return trip from Central America. We'll never know if it was TSA or the inspectors on the other end. I doubt a lock would have made a difference.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Interesting thread. I had a bathing coverup stolen from my bag last time I flew on S/W from Burbank to Sacramento. No TSA note in the bag. No lock on the bag.

I have had a TSA note in my bag almost everytime I fly. Have not had anything stolen or missing since.

I don't bother locking my luggage but I sure don't put anything in my checkin luggage that would upset me greatly if it "dissapears".

Now losing a favorite pair of dress shoes would make me furious.

Think Faina is right. Don't use expensive luggage as it just screams out that probably there is some "good" items in it. And what is the point anyway the way the airlines destroy so many pieces of luggage.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I'm wondering if everyone who's had items go missing from luggage files a claim with the airline. I know my luggage was severely damaged once, and I didn't find out until too late that I could have filed a claim. Perhaps if we filed a complaint every time this happened, it might get better?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Of course if we'd file a complaint at least we'd feel better by taking some actions.

Don't know if it's true, heard the complaint must be filed in the airport while getting luggage off the carousel. Kinda difficult to see if anything inside is missing unless you are a superman with x-ray vision, huh.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've been travelling several years with a $25... 22"..from the CHristmas Store. Never lock because it holds up others in line and anyway, anyone can slash, easier than breaking a lock. I stick on stars that glow in light from a crafts shop to differentiate it from other bags.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Exactly. That's been my contention all along. Thanks for saying it. A thief is only slowed by locks and could slash through many of our fabric and leather "cases".

I don't lock. I've received the note. TSA removed a lighter. I'm also not convinced that a shoebomber will be slowed by his selection of incindiary devices.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM

After years and years of never having any problems, it just happened to me too. One shirt was taken from a an L.L. Bean duffel bag that we checked on a flight from Portland, ME to NYC. the bag was not locked. I have never found a note from the TSA inside a bag.

No way to know if it happened in Portland or NY; if it was TSA employee, airline employee or airport employee.

We are going to file a compliant - not that I think the shirt will be returned, but I assume this must be happening on a regular basis and unless people complain, nothing will be done. Are baggage handlers watched? I vaguely remember an incident a while back where several celebrities had jewelry taken and I thought they stepped up surveillance after that.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I, too, never lock. I haven't even seen the TSA locks...but it sounds like they could be catching on something & thus ripping the zipper open, is that possible?
I had the same suitcase searched by TSA on the same trip going from St. Louis, MO to Houston, TX & then again on the return trip. I had packed a small sewing machine in the suitcase & I assumed that was the reason for the search. It made the bag VERY heavy & probably smelled strange to the dogs or looked odd on the X-Rays. TSA left notes each time & nothing was missing.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM

The whole lighter removal thing cracks me up. Their excuse is always "bombs, bombs, bombs", but my thought on the subject is if they'd stop the bomb from coming in the lighter wouldn't be any good. I find it highly ironic that they can do a better job of finding lighters than the devices the lighters would be used to blow up.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:12 AM

I've just bought 2 TSA locks for a trip from the UK in september, I'd be interested to hear from people that HAVE used them and had NO problems.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 01:45 AM
MHS

In Oct 04 I use an inexpensive one purchased at Target on a "modest" priced roll-on (under $100,but more than $50 -- is that moderate in cost?).
I watched the bag go through x-ray at Hartford/Bradley airport. There was 1 connection in Charlotte; destination was Aruba. Had no problem whatsoever -- no signs of opening or tampering. Prior to this & post 9/11 have used the twist-ties, also with no problem.

However, I do take 1 change of clothing & all "essential" (meds, etc & gifts on return trip) in carry-on. Like the lock on your house door -- a suitcase lock only prevents accidental opening and only deters the honest person.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:05 AM

I often fly to collectibles shows with large, plastic cases full of my collectibles, so flying without locks is not an option for me. I've been using the TSA locks since March 2004, and I have yet to have a problem. I also usually wait by the X-ray station for my cases to be inspected or run through the machine just in case there is a question.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Jed

In 2003, on arrival in SF, a suitcase (no lock) had been opened, a TSA note was in there, and a few items were missing. I filed a claim with TSA, and 18 months (and many emails) later received a check for $148.00, the amount of my claim.

I believe that you should notify the airline within 24 hours, then file a claim with TSA if necessary. http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183&content=090005198011b3f8

(One of the emails from TSA asked if I could prove that it was the fault of a Security person, and not an airline person. I replied, what evidence did you want? A video of the incident, fingerprints, DNA, or notarized statements of all involved?)
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:10 AM

It's true that you have to file a report at the airport, within 24 hours. We flew STL to LGA two years ago. My son, 14 at the time, couldn't find his dress shoes. I was told that I had to make a report, at the airport. Now, do you really think I'm going to spend $50 + tips for a cab ride back to Laguardia to report missing $65 shoes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -